There is a Shell gas/petro station on South Pattaya Road near Third Road. You should be aware of rigged pumps.

I went there the other day and asked for a fill-up for my motorbike. I did make sure that the pump operator put the pump back to Zero (at least I thought I did). When he was finished filling up my bike (which was not on empty) the price was 130 baht. My shocked look made him immediately say, тАЬI not cheat you! You see the pump on Zero yes?тАЭ I then said that it could not be right because I just filled up the motorbike and it was 65 baht. How could be 130 baht when my tank had less gas in it then than now?

Of course he tried to explain that the pump was on zero and that he did not cheat me. I reluctantly gave him 100 baht and went to the office to complain. This was in vain since all they could do was apologize and kept asking if I saw the pump on zero.

As I was leaving the station the pump operator ran over to my bike and started arguing that he did not cheat me and that the pump was on zero. I told him I did not believe the pump calculations and that he needed to move out of my way. He gestured that he wanted to fight but when I stood up to position myself for defense he backed away but kept yelling. I then just sat back down and drove off realizing that he felt challenged but not enough to gamble on an ass-kicking.

The only explanation is that the pumps can be rigged at the pump operatorтАЩs discretion. I refuse to go back there. I went to another gas station when my bikeтАЩs fuel gauge was actually on тАЬEтАЭ (empty) the fill-up cost at that station was 70 baht. Go figure...