Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for the next coup

Getting ready for the next coup

After a week rife with rumours of a military coup, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej on Sunday charged that forces aligned against his government are trying to goad the army into seizing power again. - http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/t ... ?id=127338
    http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/topboo ... 08/entry-1

Coup

Only a matter of time till the next one.

Just a guess

I am only guessing of course. But it seems to me that IF a coup comes soon, it may not be as peaceful as the last one. Food shortages and a wonderful King who is having health problems, can lead to great problems.

Food shortages?

Quote Originally Posted by Singapore Sexpat
    Food shortages?
    There is a great deal of rice hoarding going on in Thailand right now.

Liked
    A couple of weeks ago The Nation especially seemed to be advancing the notion that the proposed PPP/TRT rewrite of the constitution was a sort of defacto coup that would occur without military involvement. Who writes a constitution that allows amendments by majority vote of the legislature? That seems idiotic to me.

For sure there are rising tensions around the world between the food situation and the looming depression in the US which I suspect will spread elsewhere...not to mention all of the other problems out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ArNolD
    Quote Originally Posted by Singapore Sexpat
    Food shortages?
    Perhaps, but there is nothing that could be described as a "food shortage". Talk about chicken little...

I agree, he's a total monkey. But he was elected democratically -- just like the other monkey (George Bush) -- which illustrates well the greatest shortcoming of democracy: the great unwashed masses are idiots.

As long as they cast their own vote, it's democratic in my book. How different is having the headman tell you who you should vote for, from having Oprah tell you who to vote for? Ultimately, it's only you in the voting booth. In any case, if you do any traveling outside of Bangkok whatsoever, you will find that Samak's party (and Thaksin's before it) is overwhelmingly -- and genuinely -- popular. It is not as if an unpopular group forced its way into power by stuffing the ballot boxes.

Do a Google search

[quote=Singapore Sexpat]
    Quote Originally Posted by ArNolD
    Quote Originally Posted by "Singapore Sexpat":3bi46t02
    Food shortages?
    Perhaps, but there is nothing that could be described as a "food shortage". Talk about chicken little...[/quote:3bi46t02]Food

Shortages loom as wheat crop shrinks and prices rise by Jonathan Leake
    THE world is only ten weeks away from running out of wheat supplies after stocks fell to their lowest levels for 50 years.

The crisis has pushed prices to an all-time high and could lead to further hikes in the price of bread, beer, biscuits and other basic foods.

It could also exacerbate serious food shortages in developing countries

I was surprised too about the talk of food shortages too. But it is being reported as a possibility in all major news papers. The problem is not that there will be no food but rather that the poor will be less able to pay the rising cost. This could lead to unrest if it comes to be.

I certainly am not the expert Singapore Sexpat is in all matters. But I feel since none of us know for sure, debate is interesting