Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mango Tree, Soi VC

The Mango Tree, Soi VC

I think that is what it is called, it is near the end of Soi VC on the left hand side. Have any of you ever eaten there? I was invited there for dinner the other night by some friends and it was the first time I had dined there, them too. Before I recount the culinary experience that I had, I was wondering what experiences other members have had of this restaurant that have eaten there.

G.

Liked
    There was a member [Allan? ]that died earlier this year,that owned it with his BF

It was not bad earlier this year but did not try it this trip

edited after my mistake was pointed out

My apologies to Allan. Good to know you have not passed on
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

I think the rest. was (maybe still is) owned by Ken, Allan's b/f. Allan is not dead as far as I know - he had some serious illness but i believe recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    There was a member [Allan? ]that died earlier this year,that owned it with his BF

It was not bad earlier this year but did not try it this trip
    Thanks for the info Wombat, I wasn't aware of that. I am not sure who the owner is now or who the chef is, but the other night, two of the starters we ordered were spring rolls and chicken satay. Both were served with a mayo dip, which was the first time I have experienced this in all my time in Thailand. When we requested a sweet sauce for the spring rolls and a peanut sauce for the satay, we were told: "Sorry, we don't do those sauces."

I saw three different other starters served on the table next to us and all were served with mayo also. Perhaps the new owner's name is Hellman.

The main courses we ordered (Thai Dishes) were all very bland, although thankfully, not served with mayo. Did I pick a bad night? If they don't serve a peanut sauce with satay, I don't believe I did.

G.

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked
    Do they do cheeseburgers?
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

It is a sad little place, with more than a whiff of desperation hanging over it.

No laughter; no joy.

Fairydust was born in May and her favorite color is mauve. Her favorite flowers are apple blossoms and you can usually find her having a picnic in Pony Park. All the ponies there love pretending to be a princess. But theyтАЩre in for a surprise when they discover that, for one special pony, this fairy tale might really come true!

If it's anything to do with the Mango Tree in Soi Tantawan (Bangkok), it should be best avoided.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

sukumvit

believe I tried a Mango Tree on Sukumvit in bkk
    just to cool off. not bad, little artsy place. or maybe it was
    mango rain?

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomez Fong
    If it's anything to do with the Mango Tree in Soi Tantawan (Bangkok), it should be best avoided.
    I agree. It used to be one of the "in" gay places but was given a make over and now strangly caters to tour groups and then closes. It had some other name but now is back to the Mango Tree but not the same old place.
    E Dok Tong

Re: sukumvit

Quote Originally Posted by dab69
    believe I tried a Mango Tree on Sukumvit in bkk
    just to cool off. not bad, little artsy place. or maybe it was
    mango rain?
    That sounds like the Lemon Grass restaurant on Soi 24 alongside of Emporium. Nice little boutique restaurant with decent food.