Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SICKO: Smashing New Moore Movie

SICKO: Smashing New Moore Movie

This is a must watch movie.
    Simply incredible.
    Its about the total failure of the US health care system to take care of its people.

If you are in the US for the opening next week, by all means buy a ticket.
    However you choose to view it, this is a must see movie for Americans.
    Moore is on record as not being upset that this free download is available. He wants all Americans to watch this movie. He wants us to rise up and change the broken system!

So, here is a way to watch it if you aren't in a place where it is showing, like Thailand. I just did this. It worked fine and the movie made my cry.

The info for this download is at:

http://zerosworld.net/index.php
    and go to the movies section and Sicko thread

Shortcut if you don't want to register there:

Movie download:
    http://fileho.com/download/6ca420167612 ... B.rar.html

then extract the file

player download:
    http://codecguide.com/download_mega.htm

It will not play on a standard Windows media player

Oooooh...it's about HEALTH CARE! I thought it was about our old friend Silom...

Sicko is Michael Moore's best yet.

Sicko is Michael Moore's best yet. It shows that American health care went wrong starting with Richard Nixon in 1973... "All roads lead back to Nixon". It poses interesting questions to those who object to "socialized medicine" in America when they already have "socialized" police and fire protection, i.e. government provided. So, why not health care too? What if they privatized police and fire instead? Call to report a fire or crime at your home and if you cannot afford to pay they deny you service, like health care is now?

Liked

Blind men and the elephant story

"Total failure" of the US health system. Hardly. Not even close to the truth regardless of Moore's movie. In fact, health care is generally rather superb in the states (whether in New York, Florida, Michigan, California, Arizona or wherever).

With respect to emergency care, federal law requires treatment of anyone showing up at the door even if they can't afford to pay for it. All below the poverty level qualify for medicaid assistance (for example, my secretary's daughter, who earns less than $12,000.00 per year and had a premature baby who had specialized ICU care for the first 5 months- all to the tune of over a million dollars in hospital/doctor charges which was fully paid by the government).

I do bitch about paying my health insurance which is about $400.00 per month....but, given the median wages in the states, that's really not that bad.

The people who are having the health care crisis (especially for elective and preventive care) are those falling between the poverty level and lower middle class), and generally only those in the inner (large) cities. They cannot afford health insurance and generally choose to do without. And a few of their hospitals are in financial crisis (of course, that doesn't include the various Mayo Clinic hospitals with the baby grand pianos and Starbucks in the lobbies...)

I would note that I'm from a city of 16,000 residents and, while we sometimes bitch about the cost, I've never heard anyone say anything but that the hospital and health care providers around here are excellent.

I actually like Michael Moore and share many of his political views...and I look forward to seeing Sicko when it comes to my town; however, one needs to balance his view with reality. I've heard of the long wait for various procedures in both Canada and Europe and that generally doesn't happen here (in fact, we get quite a few Canadians coming to my state for
    various procedures they don't want to wait for at home).

Re: SICKO: Smashing New Moore Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Jingthing
    Simply incredible.
    Its about the total failure of the US health care system to take care of its people.
    Brilliant, you mean all we have to do is sit back watch, like the domino effect? I wonder if the resistant strain of TB will speed things up a little, some of us have lost all patience.

Bob,
    you don't understand.
    People with preexisting conditions CANNOT BUY the needed insurance AT ANY PRICE. And even if they could, how many people have the money for ANY PRICE?
    The film is mostly about how the INSURANCE COMPANIES exist to DENY TREATMENT to people who are actually COVERED.
    You live in a brainwashed dream. Wait until you get a serious disease with your so called insurance and then see what happens.
    The film also addresses the false myths you have been programmed with about the Canadian system. What you said is total garbage. Canadians love their system and wouldn't trade it for the US system (the most expensive in the world with the worse access in the western world) for anything!

WATCH THIS MOVIE!

elephantspike
    With respect to emergency care, federal law requires treatment of anyone showing up at the door even if they can't afford to pay for it. All below the poverty level qualify for medicaid assistance (for example, my secretary's daughter, who earns less than $12,000.00 per year and had a premature baby who had specialized ICU care for the first 5 months- all to the tune of over a million dollars in hospital/doctor charges which was fully paid by the government).
    Your secretary's daughter is lucky that she didn't make $12,001.00 last year. If she did, she'd have to pay $400 a month for coverage, just like you did. (but $400 a month is a lot to folks like us. Khaow Chai mai?)

She'd just get sent the bills, instead of them getting sent to Medicaid. Of courseshe can't pay them. It doesn't matter. She makes that extra dollar per anum. It is her responsibility to pay all of her own medical bills. That extra dollar per year makes her middle-income.

Same boat as me.

Re: Blind men and the elephant story

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    The people who are having the health care crisis (especially for elective and preventive care) are those falling between the poverty level and lower middle class), and generally only those in the inner (large) cities. They cannot afford health insurance and generally choose to do without.
    Absolutely. And what are those MILLIONS of Americans supposed to do when faced with illness or injury?

I gave up my health insurance in the US years ago, when I realized that it was costing me far more than what it would to simply pay for medical care in Thailand out of my own pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantspike
    Your secretary's daughter is lucky that she didn't make $1,201 last year. If she did, she'd have to pay $400 a month for coverage, just like you did.
    Just to drive it home, if someone making $1300/month pays $400 (and a policy that cheap won't be close to full coverage for a serious illness/injury) that leaves them a whopping $900/month to live on.

From that $900/month they also would probably need to pay the first several hundred dollars of care before the policy kicks in. That $400 policy does not cover expenses 100% from the first dollar, nor would it cover 100% of expenses even after the deductible is covered.