Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Le Cafe Royal and the prospects for Boyztown

Liked

Re: Le Cafe Royal and he prospects for Boyztown

Wasn't there also a Nautilus gay bar? Was there a connection? and didn't it have a pool of some sort (perhaps like that in Splash) into which the dancers jumped au natural? Or is this a figment of my imagination?
    I hear that the resurfacing will take a month....the work is being done remarkably quickly.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

There was a Nautilus gay bar. It's design was themed on being in a submarine, and indeed was as far as I know the first to have a tank in which naked guys swam and performed. It extended the length of one wall, I'd say about three shop house widths, with three circular windows. The lighting in the bar was kept low, maintaining the subterranean atmosphere, while the tank was better lit for the mermen swimming past.

The bar had no relation to the Nautical Inn, apart from the name. It was conveniently located just round the corner from the excellent and relocated Dolf Riks' restaurant, whose was bar was the meeting place for the gay expat business owners of the time.

Thinking maybe we are in about 1980/82 at this point

Liked

The soi lek where Vassa bar stands closed is now the best surfaced whereas before it was the worst.
    The new hotel going up there is probably behind the street renovation but that's only speculation on my part.

Liked

Last night the Ambiance receptionist told me the Cafe Royale was closed for refurbishment.

There are now lorry loads of sand and aggregate in the corner of the Boyztown soi. The bars are operating normally, except for the lack of space for outside tables.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan B View Post
    Last night the Ambiance receptionist told me the Cafe Royale was closed for refurbishment..
    That awful news. I hope they find a buyer.
    Gerefan2
    Ps....refurbishment in Thai means ....closed permanently!

Liked

I know it's Thailand but I can't think of many instances where a business which we assume has had to close the doors (as there was no advance notice of any closure) is able or likely to "refurbish" the premises for the next occupants!

So I'll go with Gerefan 2's suggestion that "refurbishment" is a euphemism for "closed permanently" and seeking new occupants - and good luck with that one as I don't believe BT is a big enough draw these days to sustain two gay* hotels in a single tiny street- there just isn't the market anymore except for 4 weeks of the year - and LCR would need a massive investment in its rooms which I found very dated even 15yrs ago!

*I'm aware both have tried (by necessity?) to appeal to a wider customer base

Liked

Happy Boys in Pattaya is a perfect example of gerefan2's "refurbishment."

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan B View Post
    Last night the Ambiance receptionist told me the Cafe Royale was closed for refurbishment.

There are now lorry loads of sand and aggregate in the corner of the Boyztown soi. The bars are operating normally, except for the lack of space for outside tables.
    Just to give members an idea of the extent of the works I went and took theses pics this afternoon, Saturday 3 Feb....

They were taken from the beginning of the connecting Soi where Cupidol is. Cupidol and Panorama on the right and BBB on the left.

The main Soi is still mainly clear....
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. 9 Users gave Like to post:

aussie_ (February 4th, 2018), Aux1010 (February 4th, 2018), Brad the Impala (February 3rd, 2018), christianpfc (February 10th, 2018), colmx (February 3rd, 2018), joe552 (February 3rd, 2018), Moses (February 3rd, 2018), TaoR (February 3rd, 2018), Tintin (February 3rd, 2018)

Liked

Big like to the effort to post the photos but a huge fuck off dislike to the actual content.

Liked

Well they put new drains in the soi with Kawaii boys on it, finishing in late December.

The pipes were there ready to do the next soi & perhaps the boystown soi is the last in the sequence.

As for the hotel, I should think anyone able bodied & with sensible baggage should be able to make it to the hotel irrespective of the works. Of course, those criteria may not apply to all members.

The bigger question is why would anyone want to stay there ? With the risk of loud late night parties followed by construction work starting at 7:00 am, or whatever it is.