Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting English TV in Thailand

Liked

Getting English TV in Thailand

Have any of you heard of or used Super Ip Tv? I contacted them and the charge is high at 12,500 baht for the box and one years service. At one time I had Dreambox but they were apparently stealing the signal from True and True changed their codes and Dreambox folded. I'm now afraid that this Ip Tv is the same type of operation and wonder if any of you know anything about them.

Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Liked

Re: Getting English TV in Thailand

Kjun12, good evening.

These are two entirely different ways of getting TV.
    Dreambox was a pirated version of True's satellite TV, taken down from a satellite in 'stationery' orbit.
    IP TV is a way of getting your TV shows directly through the Internet and it largely depends on the speed of your connection to your ISP. As I understand it, Thailand is presently around ADSL1 or 1+. That may not be fast enough for IPTV. Check with a 'real' technician.

It you do a Google search, you should find lots of places where you can get TV programmes, often FOC. BUT ... you do need a "smart" TV set or an IP 'set top box', either of which can then be connected by an 'ethernet' cable directly to your 'modem'/gateway/hub.

A Google search will find a diagram on how to do it.

Back to your 'longevity' question. IPTV is the way of the future. Free-to-air will gradually disappear and will be replaced by TV via Internet. I suspect that Thailand will be another decade or so before it decides to go IP rather than FTA so I wouldn't be concerned about the service "disappearing" - at least not if they are a reputable company.

Cheers, Yraen.
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]

Liked

hi

i live in spain, and i use www.filmon.com
    you can get nearly every channel and then just conect your notbook to your TV
    great pic and FREE
    im sure it will work in thailand
    also there was another 1 i used before
    myinternatiolTV or something
    just google myinternationalTV it will come up .

Liked

I hate to say it, but the easiest way to get English or US TV in Thailand is Bit Torrent. That's how I keep up with my US shows while vacationing in Thailand. The BF enjoys watching them too.

Quote Originally Posted by cameroncat
    ....the easiest way to get English or US TV in Thailand is ....
    Even though I'm devastated to have missed the English Unilateral Declaration of Independence, I should like to wish them well with their new "English" TV service.

arty

Liked

Sorry, Too Much Egg Nog. I meant to type UK or US TV shows...

Liked

Thank you Paperboy for posting the link to http://www.filmon.com

The only two British TV channels I recognised and can use are Channel 5 and Sky News. I was hoping that either BBC 1 or Channel 4 might be listed but they aren't. The picture size is very small, which I can cope with to watch short news bulletins. But the sound volume was also very low. Does anyone know if it can be boosted by buying a small set of speakers?

Yraen mentioned being able to connect the computer to the TV which sounds very high-tec and probably beyond my capabilities. To accomplish this I would need to find a Thai technician who understands English and understands what I require.

The only British news television channel available in Thailand is BBC World and I find it absolutely hopeless. And, incredibly, sometimes there isnтАЩt even any British news. I mentioned this to the BBC Trust when I was back in London and asked why they donтАЩt just broadcast BBC News 24 тАУ the channel available in the United Kingdom. I said they could save on the cost of producing BBC World. To my surprise I was told that it isnтАЩt actually run by the BBC and it doesnтАЩt cost the British taxpayer or licence payer anything. I still don't understand why they donтАЩt broadcast BBC News 24 as it appears to me that Australia, France, Germany and the USA broadcast home news programmes in Thailand.

I tend therefore to rely on the radio on my computer for news updates. In all my previous visits IтАЩve been able to listen to BBC Radio 4 live, but for some reason this service is no longer available. IтАЩve tried to listen to podcasts, but the whole layout has changed and seems very much more complicated to use. Previously it seemed simple, but now itтАЩs pretty much hit and miss whether I am able to download a podcast.

Luckily the main radio station that I listen to, LBC 97.3, hasnтАЩt changed and I can still listen live or to podcast programmes IтАЩve missed. The sound volume is quite loud and definitely much louder than BBC Radio 4 which is almost inaudible. Anyone had similar experiences?
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

jellybean, why not try the expat shield
    then you can watch any program you want on the bbc iplayer
    or itv iplayer
    just down load expat shield
    that gives you a uk ip address
    then bobs your uncle.
    also dont understand why filmon is not working for you
    works perfect for me, with all the channels

Liked

hi all

I use thaiexpat tv and get about 30 channels inc Sky News which is usually on full time.
    They have BBC 1/2/3/4 + ITV 1/2/3/4, film 4 Movies etc,
    They have recently added 3 Russian channels but not at the expense of other channels.

I bought the magic box so I can watch on my flat screen TV.
    A bit expensive at 7999B but if you use Freeplayo you can quickly accumulate enough points
    to trade in for a free box or go for the software version for 3/6/12 months

cheers :occasion9:

ron

Liked

Jellybean,

It's quite simple to connect your Computer to the TV as long as your TV has a spare HDMI input and your computer has HDMI output (most newer laptops).