Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok scene 25+ years ago

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Liked

Re: Bangkok scene 25+ years ago

Thanks Dab, an interesting read. Noticed that the thread is from 2007 and has Wowpow posting on it.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Bottoms Up
    The frightening this is I was coming to Thailand more that 25 years ago since 1974
    No, the frightening thing is that your math is as bad as your English.

....and his memory, BB. Royal Garden Plaza did not open until 1993, "My Macs" hotel was Mr Mac's, the vicar was not a "fugitive", "Luis fastben" wasn't his name, etc, etc!

Bottomsup certainly seems to have got some of his dates and places mixed up.
    The hotel in Boyztown was called Best House (not hotel, although it had a hotel licence); there was never a bakery on the Boyz Boyz site - the corner nearest Amor was originally an Irish bar which moved after the site had been purchased by BBB to Pattayaland Soi 2.
    Simon's Cabaret Bar was always on the sea-side in Walking Street and never was an hotel - probably thinking of the original Cafe Paris. Cockpit opened in 1982 and Gentlemans in the same year.

For the comprehensive history and listing of gay establishments 1982-2008 see:

Boyztown 1982-2008, obtainable from most Boyztown venues price 600 baht (half of proceeds to Pattaya Gay Festival.

Liked

My first visit was in October 1993. I stayed at the Royal Garden Hotel (as it then was) and it had only just opened - in fact, hadn't quite been completed.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

If you look no date was given for Royal Garden as I was just looking back in time, actually I can remember being in the Royal Garden before then, so I'm sure it was open, I was not giving dates to items, yes 25 years ago I was here, also before then, from 1974 of course I have to spell it out for some of the slow learners here :joker:

until the British news paper, did any expos├й on the 3rd floor of the Royal Garden Plaza around 1988 saying men were picking up young boys there
    Oh yes you did you ball licking liar :colors: :colors: :colors: :colors: P.S. Boyztown 1982-2008 is also full of errors the old dears mind must have been going when he wrote it.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Honestly...why is everyone so bitchy lately.....bottoms up has given us a wonderful insight to Thailand as he remembers it...memories do fade or get intertwined....give the guy a break...
    I thought it was a bloody good effort, and as someone who is post 40 can relate to the fact that somehow "it was better then" then it is now....

beach bunny...waiting???
    andiinoz....dont dissapoint me....

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx
    Honestly...why is everyone so bitchy lately.....bottoms up has given us a wonderful insight to Thailand as he remembers it...memories do fade or get intertwined....give the guy a break...
    I thought it was a bloody good effort, and as someone who is post 40 can relate to the fact that somehow "it was better then" then it is now....
    I agree with you latintopxxx. And yes, indeed "'it was better then' than it is now".

Dont worry they have not lived or they would not be so ignorant.
    ... blah, blah, blah ... bollocks, bollocks, bollocks ...
    Then after 1995 till now, The gay scene Involved, the making of Boyz Town and the start of Crazy Pub ....
    You are not in a strong position to accuse others of being ignorant !!!
    I remember going to Boyz Town in 1990 and it had been going a long time before that.