Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: usa gay immigration pending change

Re: usa gay immigration pending change (emphasis on pending)

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    ...Would love to see Obama start cramming some important legislation through though. I mean, he has all these goals he wants to accomplish, so what the hell is he waiting for? ....
    Uhh...unless the Constitution has recently changed the President still isn't an Emperor or Dictator. It's not in his power to "cram things through". He can only propose.

And then he has to cajole, bully, sweettalk, wheel and deal and otherwise kiss a$$ to 435 Congressmen and 100 Senators to get his way.
    (Well, technically 218 Congressmen and 67 Senators)

And right now the plate is full with Health Care.

The Administration has already made it pretty clear to the Gay Lobby that they're going to have to wait in line before the Administration can deal with DADT, DOMA and Gay Marriage.

The best we might see this year is a Trans-inclusive ENDA.

(sorry for all the acronyms but for you Ferriners that's how we Americans do "Washington-Speak").

Re: usa gay immigration pending change

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-Heng Vancouver
    the US and many other countries (majority) are stuck with old thinking rooted in these backward religious precepts that once had its birth in the UK.
    Are you talking about the former British Empire countries? I thought the "white Commonweath" had all moved on WRT gay immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    Are you talking about the former British Empire countries? I thought the "white Commonweath" had all moved on WRT gay immigration?
    Well maybe not as far as gay immigration. But they are all certainly much further along than homophobic America.

While it is true that the British "attitude" toward homosexuality and "moral world order" (the laws they passed on to their colonial conquests), of the past, is greatly responsible for the discrimination against gays worldwide today, they are certainly on their way as liberal leaders out of this. It will, however, be quite some time before responsible change comes in America. For now let's hope that those gays who succeed in adopting/raising children are afforded full legitamacy, for the sake of the children, at least. Making gay marriage equivalent to heterosexual marriage (something often abused) in terms of immigration in the US is a long way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponbkk
    Well maybe not as far as gay immigration. But they are all certainly much further along than homophobic America.
    So, out of curiosity, which countries of the former white Commonwealth - which was explained to me when I was working in Singapore as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa - don't support gay immigration?

Singapore as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa - don't support gay immigration?
    Interesting view. I have always thought of the "great white" countries as USA, Canada, UK and Australia.

I know that Canada has gay marriage and immigration. I would suspect down under. Are you sure? Most aussies I've asked aren't :-).

Interesting view. I have always thought of the "great white" countries as USA, Canada, UK and Australia.

I know that Canada has gay marriage and immigration. I would suspect down under. Are you sure? Most aussies I've asked aren't :-).
    I wasn't talking "great white", I was talking "white Commonwealth". It's a pretty standard phrase - you can even Google it, you know. As I say, I heard it while working in Singapore - which, being in S.E. Asia wasn't part of the "white Commonwealth". But more to the point, what are you admitting to now? That you wrote something without checking your facts? I guess that's a pretty standard poster characteristic.

That you wrote something without checking your facts? I guess that's a pretty standard poster characteristic.
    Yikes, I was just relating my view of the white world to yours. I thought it implied I understood it (even though the concept of the commonwealth pre-dates me somewhat :cheers: )

Watch out you might offend some of the posters here!

Australia certainly has immigration for same sex couples, known as an Interdependant Partner visa. gay marriage is not recognised, you just have to be living in a de-facto relationship, inside or outside Australia, for 1 year before applying. if your application is successful, you get a 2 year temporary visa, the your application is re-assessed after 2 more years and if the relationship is still existing you get a permanent visa. you are then able to apply for citizenship once you meet the usual criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_syd
    Australia certainly has immigration for same sex couples, known as an Interdependant Partner visa. gay marriage is not recognised, you just have to be living in a de-facto relationship, inside or outside Australia, for 1 year before applying. if your application is successful, you get a 2 year temporary visa, the your application is re-assessed after 2 more years and if the relationship is still existing you get a permanent visa. you are then able to apply for citizenship once you meet the usual criteria.
    What, being a convict? Or have they changed the rules in the past couple hundred years?

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bunny
    What, being a convict? Or have they changed the rules in the past couple hundred years?
    it will get u bonus points, but no longer compulsory