FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: usa gay immigration pending change

Forum's veteran
    Liked

usa gay immigration pending change

http://www.advocate.com/issue_story_ektid103441.asp

Quote:
    in Congress two bills that would grant immigration rights to gay couples have given the issue unprecedented attention in the fractious battle over immigration reform expected to play out in the upcoming autumn legislative session. Should the bills be included in a larger immigration package (one that could ultimately include a path to citizenship for an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants), they could become a significant step for gay rights under the Obama administration. For the first time the federal government would acknowledge the rights of gays and lesbians to live in this country with their partner of choice, regardless of national origin.

The timing of the legislation is unclear. Democratic Senate leaders have pushed to pass a bill by yearтАЩs end but are mired in the colossal tug-of-war that is health care reform, and sources say a vote on immigration likely wonтАЩt happen until next year. Hispanic groups and pro-immigration lobbies that saw reform attempts in Congress go down in flames in 2007 also are cautious. тАЬThey want to do it right this time and move forward smartly,тАЭ says one lobbyist, тАЬwhich means taking the time to build consensus.тАЭ

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Re: usa gay immigration pending change

Good luck on that. A long time coming and well overdue.

krobbie

Liked

Hopefully that legislation passes! When it comes to same-sex couples, the US is unfortunately behind compared to many Western countries.

I don't know, I'm just happy that the world's most powerful man doesn't go on international TV and say, "To our enemies, I say bring 'em on!". That's good enough for me.

Would love to see Obama start cramming some important legislation through though. I mean, he has all these goals he wants to accomplish, so what the hell is he waiting for? More than likely come the mid-term 2010 elections he's going to lose some power in both, the House and Senate, so if he wants to pass some legislation, he better get cracking.

Liked

Hi guys,

Please know that this bill is under consideration by Congressman Frank's (gay congressman from Massachusetts) but that there is much ground to plow in general regarding immigration which probably will not be addressed during this Session of Congress due to the firestorm on health care.

Regrettably this piece of legislation, i.e., to allow one gay US citizen to sponsor another gay has been before Congress at least 12 times over the last few years and has never got beyond committee where it has always died. I suspect the same this time.
    Implications re immigration, marriage fraud in general, the gay rights/marriage issue across the US and financial implications (IRS credits) further challenge anyone agreeing to this legislation. It would have a long way to go from House Committee to the House, then Conference, then over to the Senate Committee, then to the Senate/, then to Senate House Conference, then back, then to Obama, who is quite shy about gay marriage issues, and DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act).

In essence, do not hold your breath..... or make any plans soon to bring your Thai honey to the US..... you'll be retired by then.

FYI I was a staff member of the Senate Judiciary for a few years as well as a staff member of the House Judiciary before that, so I pretty well know how DC functions.

The ban on entry for HIV Positive people is also being looked at. Some restrictions have been lifted for business or exceptional grounds but USA Embassy's still have to grant permission. It has been forecast by Human Rights and the WHO that a total lift is expected by the end of this year.
    For the country that pretends to lead the world they sure put out a lot of negative vibes. Will all States allow same sex couples or will it like other legislation vary from State to State I wonder?.....

:cheers:

Liked

If one is admitted to US you are permitted to go to any state - the federal government has exclusive control over admission to the country and once inside you can travel to any state.

Re: same sex partners being recognized - the federal government would first recognize the same sex couples so they could immigrate together - as far as individual states recognizing the couples, unless the Supreme Court rules (which eventually that Court will need to address same sex marriage and DOMA Defense of Marriage (one man one woman=marriage),those issues are now on way to federal court), \most states will never recognize same sex couples. Many states have adopted tyhe DOMA principals and made same sex marriage illegal within their borders. Other states who have legalized gay marriage - well, they are facing referendum votes in the Fall to overturn those pro gay marriage laws.

Remember, the US (I am a US citizen) is not that advanced.. believe me... especially when it comes to these issues. The old religious Calvinistic British anti-sex, anti-gay beliefs are strongly entrenched.

Liked

British anti-sex, anti-gay
    Errrrrrm - whatever the US attitude to gay marriage may be, it isn't British. It may not be "marriage" but we do have legal civil partnerships which give the partnership basically the same legal footing as marriage, including rights of entry and residence for civil partners.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

yeah not holding my breath here,
    and probably wouldn't want to get married.

Liked

The immigration issues have all been put off until next year.

San Francisco

In announcing Monday that immigration reform would be shelved until 2010, President Obama was simply bowing to political reality, say observers.
    http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/08/11/obama-delays-immigration-reform-at-great-risk/
    Life is sexually transmitted and terminal.

Liked

Sorry Ceejay,

The use of the term British was to mean old British Colonist beliefs from the Church of England.....and later Calvinistic thought. I do know that the new UK has moved way beyond that as well as Canada (recall the old Dominion of Canada??) where I and Ben my Thai partner immigrated as commonlaw to in 2005 from US due to the backward thinking in US on gay couples. Both UK and Canada have moved beyond the "old ways" but yet the US and many other countries (majority) are stuck with old thinking rooted in these backward religious precepts that once had its birth in the UK. We of course are pleased with Canada's federal recognition of gay commonlaw and gay marriage several years ago.

Even Catholic Uruguay has at least over the past few years recognized same sex unions as civil in nature and welcome gay couples in terms of immigration with open arms. Panama has introduced legislation to allow immigrated admission to gay couples but the Catholic Church and Bishop are up in arms. The politicals are questioning the involvement as Panama strictly separates Church & State... stay tuned.

Sorry for the incomplete citing