Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legit Software

Liked

Legit Software

When I bought my current desktop computer from a shop in Tukcom I insisted on legit XP software ... didn't want Vista or a pirated XP. No problem.

My friend has a desktop & laptop and most of the software he uses is pirated/copied, either installed by someone in Tukcom or on CD/DVD from Tukcom.

We recently tried to get Nero 9 for him for stuff he does with videos and whatever ... have to admit I only have a limited understanding of such things,

So we bought a copy at Tukcom, but it's really just a trial version. We also got a couple of Nero 9 books for him, each of which had a trial version. So then I tried to pay for the full version upgrade on line with a US credit card. The upgrades all seem to insist that you have a billing address in Germany, Spain, or Poland. I can use CNET downloads for an American version, but given TOT's recent sluggish performance, the download would take 6 plus hours and, I'm fairly certain, not offer Thai language.

Unless something has changed recently, places like Amazon or whatever won't let you buy computer software on disk to be sent outside the US or EU because you might be a terrorist movie producer or something.

So, I thought, OK, we'll go to a legit shop and just buy the thing on disk. But where? The best we managed was to get someone at Tukcom to install version 8 on his laptop and then when we got home it wanted to download an upgrade that again would have taken over 6 hours and probably would only have been a trial version.

Where/how can someone buy legit software that will display Thai language? Considering all the brouhaha about pirated software, is non-pirated stuff actually available?

Liked

Re: Legit Software

I bought a legit copy of Windows from IT City on the 5th floor of Tukcom.. They didnt have it in stock and had to order it out of Bangkok.. That is probably what they do for all legit software. Nothing in stock at all.

john
    TOQ Tired Old Queen

Don't feed the trolls, Don't feed the trolls, I keep telling myself ..........

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by TOQ
    I bought a legit copy of Windows from IT City on the 5th floor of Tukcom.. They didnt have it in stock and had to order it out of Bangkok.. That is probably what they do for all legit software. Nothing in stock at all.

john

Yes, when I got this computer and wanted the legit Windows XP everyone got all secretive and I had to pay cash although the computer was paid for by credit card. I felt like we were doing something underhanded.

For the time being my friend is using the trial version we bought that is good until July 29 and then he can put in one of the disks we got with a book we bought for another 30 days.

It seems odd, but I suppose understandable, that the powers that be in the US and Thailand make a big deal out of ferreting out fake software, but don't offer much in the way of legitimate alternatives. As long as the fake stuff is available, I guess very few would buy the real software, but if they try to cut off the fake stuff & don't offer the real versions, they're not achieving much.

Just buy or download a pirate copy. If they don't make the real thing available, who gives a shit?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bunny
    Just buy or download a pirate copy. If they don't make the real thing available, who gives a shit?

Well I admit that I didn't make it absolutely clear, but I did say:

For the time being my friend is using the trial version we bought that is good until July 29 and then he can put in one of the disks we got with a book we bought for another 30 days.
    This particular software, even the pirated copy we bought and another pirated copy we had installed, shut down in 30 days or less. Either the producers of the software are getting craftier or the pirates are becoming less so, but it appears that whatever the source it will only work for a limited time.

I'll avoid making indepth comment on the assumptions you make when dismissing everyone else with your usual misguided contempt.

I was trying to help you, you putz.

In order to continue using a trial piece of software beyond the trial date, you have to put in a key code.

When you purchase the software off the internet, a key code is generated and given to you.

When you purchase a pirated copy, a "skeleton key" is usually provided somewhere on the disc -- in a directory typically labeled as "keys" or something like that.

You can also usually find keys posted on pirate sites, if you do a little googling, that will work.

I hope this helps, though I know better than to expect any thanks from you.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bunny
    I was trying to help you, you putz.
    Thank you. I didn't fully appreciate that.

There was a key with the pirated copy which we inserted while installing, but it still made it clear that after a certain number of days we had to purchase a PIN or whatever you want to call it.

I was willing to do that, but it seems that this particular version is only licensed in certain countries, neither Thailand nor the US amongst them ... despite the fact that it was operating in the Thai language. I was willing to buy a key on the Internet but it demanded a billing address for the credit card in Germany or in India or Africa or wherever.

It offered to shift me to the Nero store, but from there it wanted to start out with a completely new download and that was projected at 6 hours (Thank You TOT). I would ask someone in the US to send a copy, and may do that, but in the case of one other software download I helped him with originating in the US, Thai language was not offered or apparently available even as a download. He can function in English to some extent, but it isn't ideal.

I emailed the company to see what they suggest and I guess getting someone to send it out is a do-able option. Maybe there will still be away to get it to operate in Thai.

But I still contend this seems ridiculous if they want to stop piracy but make it virtually impossible to obtain legit software.

Liked

If the good people of Thailand had always supported the software industry and paid for legitimate copies you probably wouldn't have this problem.

Residents of Thailand can't buy music off of i-Tunes, either (or, at least they coudln't -- maybe it's changed). So, when the music labels start griping about piracy rates, you can take it all with a grain of salt.

Liked

What I fail to understand is why people insist on using illegal software anyway? A bit of searching on the internet can find very acceptable alternatives to paid versions of software - Open Office, for example is a great free alternative to MS Office (although MS Office 2010 will be web based and free to use too in a response to their current battle with Google). There are lots of free alternatives to Nero, antivirus/malware programs, Adobe, Photoshop etc etc.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.