Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reading Thai

Liked

Reading Thai

If you want to learn to speak Thai as a Thai would, then the best tutor is a native speaker of Thai, although not everyone who speaks Thai (or English or German) necessarily knows how to systematically approach learning his language.

I've managed to pick up a fair amount of beginner level spoken Thai from a Thai teacher, but arrived at a point where I reached over-load and needed to take a break ... and my Thai teacher was spending more of our time together gossiping than teaching anyway.

He didn't want to teach reading/writing only spoken Thai. I've tried memorizing the Thai consonants and have had some success in sounding out words on my own, but I was forever getting similar looking letters confused and getting totally flummoxed by different Thai scripts. Besides, just memorizing all those letters and their different sounds depending on their position and the vowels floating around was BORING.

Many people have said that itтАЩs best to learn Thai using the Thai alphabet rather than English transliterations of Thai words. So I was hitting a wall.

A couple of days ago I got an email reminding me of a Thai reading program that I had once taken a cursory look at on line, so I downloaded the free trial once again. There were several hurdles to overcome:
    1) ItтАЩs called тАЬRead Thai in a Day.тАЭ Obviously an absurd premise тАж I thought.
    2) Rather than classifying consonants as being High, Middle or Low, in this program the classes are boys, girls or ladyboys, with characteristics assigned to each тАж and the characteristics assigned to ladyboys are somewhat offensive.
    3) Each letter is presented in a cutesy cartoon fashion that you need to visualize as a reminder of its sound.

Despite considering all of the above to be negatives I did look through the trial part of the book. I still was not very convinced, but to unlock the rest of the book I could get a PIN for B 1900. Being the proud owner of Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone and a raft of Benjawan Poomsan BeckerтАЩs stuff, that was a drop in the bucket. So I transferred B1875 to the authorтАЩs bank account (he told me to deduct the B 25 ATM charge).

It works! I would guess itтАЩs better for visual learners rather than for people who learn best by hearing things, but then itтАЩs about the written form of the language, so visual is pretty necessary.

It teaches you to sound-out тАЬwords.тАЭ YouтАЩre not learning the names of the letters and youтАЩre not really learning much Thai vocabulary to begin with since the Thai words are pretty basic stuff you probably know anyway and a lot of the words are English words that most urban Thais use тАж along with their unique Thai pronunciation. You are learning to look at Thai script and turn what you see into sounds and simple words.

It is a surprisingly consistent language in its written form. I did in fact start reading words in Thai script very quickly and I still have a way to go before IтАЩm through the first run through. You can get through a first reading in half a day, which they recommend, or you can break it into smaller amounts.

Aside from the learning practice that they give you as you move through the book, they advise you to start looking at all the signs you see as you move about Thailand and to sound those out. If youтАЩre not in Thailand you can go to their website to practice on photos of Thai signs that they provide.

Anyway, if you really would like to start fathoming all the Thai script you see all about you, this might work for you too. Of course, what works for some people will be a total waste of time for others.

I have no interest financial or otherwise in this so I donтАЩt really care whether or not you try it. IтАЩm sure many will find it useless, but I would suggest you give the free trial a look and keep an open mind.

IтАЩm guessing that once I can sound out a lot of what I see that I can better acquire a larger vocabulary and that in turn will make me more efficient at reading тАж I hope.

READING THAI WEBSITE

Similar Threads:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Reading Thai

good you give it a try, mr. X. I've seen this site positively reviewed in several other travel-sites. A forum linked on thailandqa.com can answer many questions about this and other probelsm with learning this language.
    One thing to realise with the written Thai is that, other as in the Eurpean languages, the letter-order is not always the same as spoken. (the word ''THAI'' for the airline is spelled like AI-TH-J). and half of the letters are hardly used-only in honorific etc language you dont use in everyday life.
    Please, do keep us informed and amused by your brilliant told episodes of Thai encounters- brings a laugh in the day when I am not in that muang Thai. khrap.

Quote Originally Posted by pong
    (the word ''THAI'' for the airline is spelled like AI-TH-J).
    Back to school for you.

р╣Др╕Чр╕в

AI-TH-Y

Liked

Take a look at UTL School those who make it to level 4 seem to be both conversant and literate. It's in Bangkok but with 4 week modules and weekend off you can do weekends in Pattaya and the weekdays in Bangkok. There are many Pattaya residents that do just that after having failed on finding any schools in Pattaya that have results.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by x in pattaya
    getting totally flummoxed by different Thai scripts
    Fully understand what you mean there and this remains the most difficult part for me in
    reading Thai (usually in the public context of signs, newspaper ads, etc.). I may not know what a given word means but it's frustrating that I can't even take a stab at pronouncing the word because a given letter or two are in a script I simply don't recognize).

Thanks for the url....I may have to give this a try.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Trongpai is correct and I can speak from my own experience, having
    completed the 4th month of intensive Thai at UTL in BKK..
    You start with written Thai in the 3rd month and finish covering the basics
    with the 4th month..
    It has been a few years since I went but I recall it was very reasonable (around 5,000B.) for each
    4 week session and one could go Mon to Fri mornings for 4 hours/day or afternoons for 3 hours/day.

The Thai word for "Thai" is irregular and is an exception to the usual grammar/spelling and pronounciation
    rules of the language..
    perhaps painai or neddy3 might want to add their 2 baht as both are far more accomplished
    in reading and writing Thai than this humble farang. :cat:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by x in pattaya
    It works! I would guess itтАЩs better for visual learners rather than for people who learn best by hearing things, but then itтАЩs about the written form of the language, so visual is pretty necessary.
    X in Pattaya and TrongpaiExpat.
    I am soon moving permanetely to Thailand (54 days) and I intend to learn Thai. Thank you for these excellant sites. You have saved me hours of research and probably a considerable amount of money. Drinks are on me should we ever meet. Thanks again.

Liked

[quote=Khor tose]
    Quote Originally Posted by "x in pattaya":exnoymgw
    I am soon moving permanetely to Thailand (54 days) and I intend to learn Thai.
    [/quote:exnoymgw]

Ah, that brings back wonderful memories of having numerous calendars at home and work that I would dutifully mark each day as the time for my big moved neared. I had owned my condo for many years before then, so it was a bit like finally moving to my true home.

Of course, after a few years the thrill wears off and it's just another daily grind ... when will it ever end?

Just kidding. :geek:

I still love every minute here and am still amazed at how lucky I am to wake up each morning in Thailand. The fact that arguably (by me anyway ... I might be a teensy bit prejudiced) the sexiest, nicest, sweetest person on earth shares his life with me (and occasionaly a few other sexy, nice, sweet people spend slightly less time with me) beggars the imagination.

Life Is A Beach for sure... mak mak.

PS. As the following messages illustrate very well. Go VERY SLOWLY in making farang acquaintances here. You're better off making a few Thai friends and avoiding farangs. There are undoubtedly some nice farangs around, but quite a few of them are deranged psychopathic parasites who will suck the enjoyment out of your life in LOS. They're fun to prod & poke on websites like this allowing you to watch their impotent rages at a distance, but in person they are worse than H1N1.

Can't wait for your arrival. By the way how does "the sexiest, nicest, sweetest person on earth" earn a living???

Quote Originally Posted by andyinoz
    Can't wait for your arrival. By the way how does "the sexiest, nicest, sweetest person on earth" earn a living???
    Being sexy, nice, and sweet probably is his job. LOL.