Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Ray of light ...

Liked

Ray of light ...

. . . . but just a small one.
    A friend ~ who lives in Thailand, I am in Canada right now ~ recently wrote telling me that he had a rumour that there would soon be another try at establishing a ferry service across the Gulf from Pattaya to Hua Hin (and return of course). This would turn a 5-7 hour car drive (or bus, or train) into a 3 hour boat ride.

I have no idea whether this will actually come about, but am keeping my fingers crossed. We have a number of good friends who seemingly (and happily) are into regular once-a-year excursions from Pattaya to our town, so such a service would be a terrific help. It seems like such a natural to me really . . . even if one is not specifically going to Hua Hin, it opens up the whole south coast to being much less of a chore: the drive from Pattaya, through Bangkok, then until one gets as far as Petchburi is really an ugly mess.

Such a ferry service has been tried before, but always a failure. Hope that's not putting on too much bad karma to a potentially good concept.

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Re: Ray of light ...

According to a recent issue of Thailand Real Estate Magazine this is correct, and they even showed a photo of the boat under construction.

I can find no reference on line, but as far as I can recall it was one catamaran, owned by a Norwegian, able to take up to 80 passengers, with a planned crossing time of around 3 hours at 20 knots (hardly the Hong Kong - Macao hydrofoil, and possibly quite uncomfortable given the short, choppy sea), at a cost of 1,200 baht each way - completion and sea trails were due this month, but the actual "opening" date was unspecified.

If I hear anything more I'll let you know.

A failed venture just waiting to happen, I'm afraid.

Begs the question...

WHY would anyone want to go from Pattaya to Hua Hin??????

I can understand a certain class of people wanting to go on a weekend from Bangkok to Hua Hin instead of sleazy Pattaya. But why on earth would anyone want to go from Fcukersville to Stogeyville I can't imagine.
    I mean, its like building a high speed rail from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City..... :scratch:

Liked

Re: Begs the question...

Quote Originally Posted by kenc
    To see Khun Smiles, of course! :cheers:

(When he's in town, that is....)
    [size=7][color=#0000FF][i]"quiet1":[/i] the poster previously known as [i]"bkk gwm"[/i][/color][/size]

I can understand a certain class of people wanting to go on a weekend from Bangkok to Hua Hin instead of sleazy Pattaya. But why on earth would anyone want to go from Fcukersville to Stogeyville I can't imagine.
    I mean, its like building a high speed rail from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City..... :scratch:

Balderdash! I'm sure many would like to occasionally board a sleek water taxi

to escape this

for a little Hua Hin tranquility.

Liked

WHY would anyone want to go from Pattaya to Hua Hin??????I
    Or a high speed rail from San Francisco to Oakland?

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

I have to come to the defence of smiles. Why would anyone want to go to Hua Hin?

Because it is tranquil and as yet unspoiled and the beaches are fantastic and unpolluted.

I enjoy Hua Hin and hope to be back there in September ... even if a little damp. Where isn't, in Thailand, at this time of year. What I can't un derstand is what they would be doing in Pattaya, UGH!

Cheers
    krobbie

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hua Hin has its upsides... but I actually found it not so appealing. I was hoping for a nice quite, peaceful place. It was quiet and a bit more peaceful than other beach towns... but didn't have a appealing feel to it.

It's calmer than Pattaya and the beach is nice... but it's not as tranquil and unspoilt as I thought it would be. it's actually quite built up... lots of tall hotel and resort developments. And it feels like people just plonked these massive buildings out in the middle of no where.

Some places are build up and nice, but Hua Hin is built up in a less attractive way. The buildings are spread so far apart so they're like giant lamp posts. The beach is interrupted in a lot of places. The town is a bit spread out and uninteresting.

As opposed to Phuket, where it is heavily built up, but still very beautiful... tranquil on the beach, but bustling behind on the streets with lots to see and do. (Downside of Phuket is it's too far from Bangkok).

Anyway, that's just my opinion. :blackeye:

On the upside, some of the shoreline is interesting. I love the point that sticks out (even though it ruins the beach) where there's a little restaurant up high overlooking the beach. I love the piers extending out to sea... nice to sit on the end of one of these to read or work.

I agree with you, Beachlover. As stated before, the only appeal I see in Hua Hin is that it is a relatively short drive from Bangkok. Otherwise, the beach and town are butt ugly.