Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol Homophobia

Liked

Re: American Idol Homophobia

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Fishing
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy
    I will stand by my humble opinion that Kris Allen is fantastically good looking - because that is what it is... just my opinion. And that the winner of american idol is about gushing good looks... Again IMHO....
    Well, Pissyboy, if I am impressed by nothing else of yours I am impressed by the breadth of your taste - after all, there are few people who could honestly say that Kris Allen, Clay Aiken (although he came 2nd) and Ruben Studdard all had "gushing good looks"!!

On the second point... I have read the original research that is cited in the wiki article. The article is a good overview of heterosexism...I have copies of the the research .....
    I have not, as I have no interest in the subject; I am quite satisfied with Wiki's own view of their own article, that it "Provides very little meaningful content". There would, in any case, be no need for you to send me the research, as links to it are provided by Wikipedia, as usual. I did actually find the "Daily effects of straight privilege" (http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~hyrax/person ... vilege.htm ) quite amusing, if only because although I am sure they apply to many (possibly even most) gays none have ever applied to me. I would have liked to take the test by the Heterosexism Enquirer - "helping to fight against heterosexist attitudes" - (http://www.mun.ca/the/themain.html )to see if my attitudes were heterosexist, as you imply they might be, but unfortunately the test was discriminatory and was only "for heterosexuals...& for those who may have internalized homophobic stereotypes"; I still took it, however, and as I scored 6/372 on the test I " must be an individual who thrives on diversity, inclusiveness, & acceptance. You actively go out of your way to ensure that you respect & acknowledge everyone no matter what their sexual identity... and, you may be a social activist." (Flattering, but way off the mark!). I would have scored 0, but I lost 6 points to question 13:

"Considering the menace of overpopulation, how could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual?

a. Good question! It would be quite frightening if everyone on the planet reproduced. (0)
    b. At least the continuation of the species is guaranteed with heterosexuality! (6)"

Sesquipedalian terms are only impressive when properly used: there is no such thing as a "sustentative evaluation" (an evaluation cannot be "sustentative", which explains why such a pairing has never been used in any article published on the net, for example) - possibly you misheard something when you were cleaning out the toilets and you mean an objective evaluation.

GF you state the following ..... "whatever one's sexual preference, heterosexuality is not only "seen as the sexual norm or standard", statistically or by any other measure it is the sexual norm."
    Indeed I did - but you have ignored what I said and introduced "Heterosexism, Heteronormativity, Heterocentrism - etc.. whatever you want to call it" instead!!!

Becoming "visible and accepted" has nothing to do with changing "the sexual norm" - little research (or intelligence, so even you may manage it) is required to realise that at present "by far the greatest amount of sociosexual behaviour is heterosexual behaviour" (Encyclopedia Britannica) and that whatever the influence "gays and lesbians" may have on the rest of the world it is rather unlikely that the majority of the population will ever be anything but heterosexual, so making it "the norm". This has nothing to do with homophobia, superiority or inferiority - becase something or someone does not match "the norm" does not necessarily make them inferior - you are, as I suspected "confused".

I have given some definitions of "the norm" and "heterosexuality" below - you may find it useful as most "college professors" who conduct " research in the area of gays and lesbians in the workplace" might be expected to know this and your lack of knowledge may catch you out.

There are only a few parts of your posts I agree with (namely, to use your own descriptions of yourself, that you are "happier living through denial and delusion тАж a self-important fat head" and "full of shit"), so this not one of them.

Norm:

1. a standard or model or pattern regarded as typical; "the current middle-class norm of two children per family"
    (hypernym) standard, criterion, measure, touchstone
    2. a statistic describing the location of a distribution; "it set the norm for American homes"
    (synonym) average
    (hypernym) statistic
    (hyponym) age norm
    (classification) statistics (WordNet 2.0)

an established standard or average: as a : a set standard of development orachievement usually derived from the average or median achievement of a large group b : a pattern or trait taken to be typical in the behavior of a social group (Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary)

: average : as a: a set standard of development or achievement usually derived from the average or median achievement of a large group b: a pattern or trait taken to be typical in the behavior of a social group c: a widespread or usual practice, procedure, or custom <standing ovations became the norm>(Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

A standard pattern of behaviour that is considered normal in society (Encarta Dictionary)

A person who spends leisure time passively or idly ... from the name of a cartoon character created in 1975 by Alex Stitt (Australian slang, Oxford Dictionary)

Heterosexuality:

of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward the opposite sex b: of, relating to, or involving sexual intercourse between individuals of opposite sex ((Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

Encarta: sexual desire or sexual relations between people of opposite sexes (Encarta)

Heterosexuality refers to sexual behavior and attraction to people of the opposite sex, or to a heterosexual orientation. As a sexual orientation, heterosexuality refers to "an enduring pattern of or disposition to experience sexual, affectional, physical or romantic attractions primarily to "persons of the opposite sex" (Wikipedia)
    Go Fuckyourself -
    Another post that is true to form. It has self-important references but not much substance.
    I am very candid about my limited taste in pop culture. I have no taste nor is my opinion worth much on the subject.

As I have mentioned, I am a college professor who does research in this area (gays and lesbians in the workplace). I would be happy to swap CVs.
    I have no idea what your background is but IMHO you seem to believe you are an expert in lots of areas...However, I suspect that you are basically full of shit.

You mentioned you "have no interest in the subject" - which I assume you mean you have no interest in the subject of heterosexism. Again notice I quoted you without adding or subtracting words to suit my tastes. A practice you should follow. When you change other people's words then quote them it is really very very dishonest. Use me as your role model.

I will again say that having read not only the research cited but other research in the area, wiki provides a good starting point and overview of heterosexism and though you are not interested, it is my area of expertise. The links provided by wiki are incomplete. If you change your mind I can send you some good articles that will help you broaden your horizons beyond just Google searches. Trying to establish your expertise in an area based on Google searches is really the lamest form of research.

If I understand your ranting above, you are saying that homosexuality is not and cannot become a sexual norm.

One interesting finding of LGBT research is that contact with LGBTs by heteros lessens their heterocentrism and encourages them to be more tolerant toward sexual minorities. Sexual norms are not just the most prevalent sexual behaviors but they include what are considered acceptable sexual behaviors.

Sorry GF but you again are full of shit and out of you area of expertise.
    As gays and lesbians come out of the closet and interact with heterosexuals the heteros become more comfortable with the homos and their perceptions of what are acceptable behaviors change and homosexuality becomes an acceptable norm.

Wrong again Go Fuckyourself.

I detect an element of internal homophobia in your posting. Are you sure you are not a self-hater?
    IMHO - Excessive self-importance can actually hide deep self-hate and a longing for approval. But hey that is just my opinion and whether or not you have internal homophobia (quoting y ou) I"have no interest in the subject".
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Liked

I thought it was all totally predictable, Typical Homophobia there and typical heterosexual Phobia here
    All the Best!

Wes

Are you sure you are not a self-hater? IMHO - Excessive self-importance can actually hide deep self-hate and a longing for approval.
    Is gender studies your area or psychology? Even if he is a scholar in that area, it isn't unusual for experts to have differences of opinion.

Cute avatar...I share my home with a tabby.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mlomker
    Are you sure you are not a self-hater? IMHO - Excessive self-importance can actually hide deep self-hate and a longing for approval.
    Is gender studies your area or psychology? Even if he is a scholar in that area, it isn't unusual for experts to have differences of opinion.

Cute avatar...I share my home with a tabby.
    Thanks for the note. That is my kittyboy...his real name. I was not very original in naming him.
    The next cat I get I will have to come up with a better name... What do you think of Cat Boy? or BoyCat...or CatGirl? hmm... pretty bad I guess.
    I know it is silly but I do love my cat. He is my surrogate child.
    What is your tabby's name?

I am in the school of business - the management department. I teach organizational behavior and gender and diversity in organizations. Much of the theoretical framework for my work is based on the psychology and sociology literature dealing with gays and lesbians.

As for GF - I am pretty sure he is not a scholar. A googler (is that a word? - to google is now a verb - so maybe googler is the noun describing the person who googles?) perhaps.

Liked

Fox had a new report on tonight, they wasted the whole time and really said nothing, although they admit it may have been the Christian demographics of the south where most of the callers are from and where likely they liked the humble mannerisms of the little cutie that won. By the way its is also where most of the right wing Christian evangelicals live so it would have been depending on how close it was. Has anyone herd how close the vote was... I agree, by the way he was much better looking than Adam.

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    I thought it was all totally predictable, Typical Homophobia there and typical heterosexual Phobia here
    I had no idea it was quite that bad "there"! I have not been to the States for 20 years, and it is a good few years since I have been "home" to the UK, but this fixation with stunning good looks, cuties and homophobia seems to be markedly different in the States to the UK: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090528/ap_ ... e_s_finale

Oh, and I think homophilia (amongst all the other phobias,sexisms, centrisms,etc) is the technical term you may be after for the popular phobia here!

Quote Originally Posted by mlomker
    Even if he is a scholar in that area, it isn't unusual for experts to have differences of opinion.
    I am not a "scholar" in that or any other area - nor have I ever claimed to be an expert. Neither am I (nor was I ever) in "the school of business", whatever that may be! You will soon realise that the same (apart from the claim to be an expert!) applies to Pissyboy.

I have no idea what your background is but IMHO you seem to believe you are an expert in lots of areas
    I have never claimed to be "an expert" in any area, although I have detailed exactly what my level of expertise is in a few. If, as you repeatedly allege, I have made such a claim, post a reference.

If I understand your ranting above, you are saying that homosexuality is not and cannot become a sexual norm.
    You still do not appear to understand what is meant by a "norm". What is "the sexual norm" is a question of what is standard, prevalent or NORMal. Heterosexuality is and will remain "the sexual norm" unless some other form of sexual activity becomes more prevalent and replaces it - personally I cannot see any signs of that happening. Whether other forms of sexual behaviour are acceptable or not to the majority is a totally different question.

There can only be one "sexual norm", just as there can only be one norm for any trait, characteristic, etc. A "norm" is quantifiable and verifiable - it is not something which is open to debate, rejection or acceptance.

Nobody meets the "norm" or average in every area - to do so, while probably mathematically possible, is unlikely given so many variables, so we are all "abnormal" in some way. Simply because someone is "abnormal" in a particular area does not necessarily make them accepted or rejected by those who are nearer the norm - in most cases the question simply does not arise.

I detect an element of internal homophobia in your posting. Are you sure you are not a self-hater?
    Quite sure. Being gay has, literally, never been a problem for me in any way, socially, professionally or personally (something I realise is both fortunate and unusual, as I appreciate that it can be a major problem for many gays, if not most). It is simply the way I am and consequently I have never seen any reason to either question it, resent it, or to publicise it - I know my own strengths and weaknesses and my physical and mental limitations and capabilities, and I have found knowing that I was gay to be of little real importance to me (and, presumably, to those who know/knew me).

Liked

Re: Norman

I am not a "scholar" in that or any other area - nor have I ever claimed to be an expert. Neither am I (nor was I ever) in "the school of business", whatever that may be! You will soon realise that the same (apart from the claim to be an expert!) applies to Pissyboy.

I have no idea what your background is but IMHO you seem to believe you are an expert in lots of areas
    I have never claimed to be "an expert" in any area, although I have detailed exactly what my level of expertise is in a few. If, as you repeatedly allege, I have made such a claim, post a reference.

You still do not appear to understand what is meant by a "norm". What is "the sexual norm" is a question of what is standard, prevalent or NORMal. Heterosexuality is and will remain "the sexual norm" unless some other form of sexual activity becomes more prevalent and replaces it - personally I cannot see any signs of that happening. Whether other forms of sexual behaviour are acceptable or not to the majority is a totally different question.

There can only be one "sexual norm", just as there can only be one norm for any trait, characteristic, etc. A "norm" is quantifiable and verifiable - it is not something which is open to debate, rejection or acceptance.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Again GF - Lots of self-reference but not much substance. I am glad you agree that you are not an expert in this area, however, I am well versed in the subject. Again GF - I would be happy to trade CVs.
    You really are just helplessly out of your league here.

Incorrectly defining the term тАШnormтАЩ then applying that incorrect definition to the term тАШsexual normтАЩ, then arguing your point from there is a very weak argument - we have a term for it here at the university. We call it sophmoric.
    However, in a few more years when you get to be a senior I expect more reasoned arguments.

Norms are behaviors deemed acceptable by society.
    тАШSexual normsтАЩ include a wide range of behaviors and include what society deems to be acceptable and are not just the most common sexual behavior. Sorry there is not just one sexual norm that is ridiculous.
    Many segments of society consider Homosexuality an acceptable sexual norm and it will be more widely accepted when more people know and accept homosexual indviduals.

Norms are always "open to debate, rejection or acceptance."
    In 1973 the American Psychological Association removed homosexuality from its list of mental illnesses.
    For APA members following the diagnostic guide, homosexuality became acceptable or a norm when the APA changed its definition.

So again you are just wrong.

Liked

This you both realize is not going to be decided on this forum. Thanks for the right word there gone fishing. Its not really oh so bad here, Although I spend little time here, I can say I spend most of it at work and very little social life. However, when in the most liberal state of all they voted down Gay Marriage or marriage as being defined as between a man and a woman. I would say. We should be satisfied with common law relationships until the church secularizes, as per Bonhoeffer. However,if I know gays like I think I do, the divorce rate would definitely go up should marriage be legalized

All the best,

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

I was not very original in naming him.
    My cat was named Precious by the shelter that I rescued her from. I'm afraid I'm even less original than you, I usually just call her Kitty. lol. I have a Senegal parrot named Cricket. That one is a bit more original since he sounded like one when he was young.

I personally haven't gotten around to finishing my master's thesis in IT Management and I suspect it'll remain that way.

Liked

Re: What is a ┬╗norm┬л?

Norm: "standard, pattern, model," 1821,
    from Fr. norme, from O.Fr.,
    from L. norma "carpenter's square, rule, pattern,"
    of unknown origin. Klein suggests a borrowing (via Etruscan) of Gk. gnomon "carpenter's square."
    The L. form of the word, norma, was used in Eng. in the sense of "carpenter's square" from 1676.
    (Online Etymology Dictionary, ┬й 2001 Douglas Harper)
    A multifaceted term that seems to oscillate between a descriptive and a prescriptive (┬╗normative┬л) meaning. But we have to make a choice:

Ought vs. Is
    In Book III of his Treatise on Human Nature, David Hume asserts that normative statements (saying that something ought to be so) cannot be derived from descriptive statements (saying that something is). This is widely agreed upon among philosophers and is sometimes referred to as the "is-ought problem". A related tenet of philosophy is that knowledge can come from either observation or from deductive reasoning. Descriptive statements are based on observations, whereas normative statements are products of deduction. Some statements are based entirely on observation (naturalistic statements), while others are solely deductive (normative, or prescriptive statements). Bodies of knowledge can be built from statements in either or both categories, but neither can a normative statement be derived from a descriptive statement nor can a descriptive statement be derived from a normative statement.
    Some examples for the current use of ┬╗norm┬л:

The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Social Psychology
    Norms (Subject: Psychology) -- Donelson R. Forsyth

Consensual standards that describe what behaviors should and should not be performed in a given context are called social norms. They prescribe the socially appropriate way to respond in the situation тАУ the тАЬnormalтАЭ course of action тАУ as well as proscribing actions to avoid if at all possible. Social norms, in contrast to statistical norms or general expectations based on intuitive base rates for behavior, include an evaluative component. People who do not comply with the norms of a situation and cannot provide an acceptable explanation for their violation are evaluated negatively. This condemnation can include hostility, pressure to change, negative sanctions, and punishment, but the reaction depends on the magnitude of the discrepancy, the importance of the norm, and the characteristics of the person who violates the norm. Wearing too colorful a tie, not bowing properly when introduced, or talking about overly intimate matters with a new acquaintance may violate situational norms of propriety, but they will rarely earn public rejection. Small violations that reflect personal idiosyncrasies, if kept private, are often overlooked, as are violations committed by prestigious or powerful individuals. Violations of moral norms prohibiting theft or prescribing duties, in contrast, will be roundly condemned (Sabini & Silver, 1978). This evaluative reaction is, however, asymmetric. ...

The International Encyclopedia of Communication
    Social Norms (Subject: Communication Studies ┬╗ Health Communication Communication Reception and Effects ┬╗ Public Opinion. Key-Topics: normativity) -- Rajiv N. Rimal and Maria Knight Lapinski

What people choose to do, the behaviors they enact or refrain from enacting, is guided by a number of factors, including their own dispositions, the situational context in which they find themselves, the social roles they take on, and their interpersonal relationships. The study of how people's behaviors are guided, in part, by social norms has been the focus of considerable research in recent years. Although the influence of norms on human behavior occurs across many domains, a great deal of research has focused on understanding normative influences in health-related behaviors, likely because of the inclusion of the subjective norm concept in the theory of reasoned action (TRA; Ajzen & Fishbein 1980); the TRA has been widely used to predict health behaviors (тЖТ Reasoned Action, Theory of). Norms have been conceptualized in several ways, but terms identified in the literature that deal implicitly or explicitly with the influence of referent othersтАЩ attitudes or behaviors on people's own behaviors include: subjective norms (Ajzen & Fishbein 1980), social norms (Perkins & Berkowitz 1986), normative influences (Cialdini et al. 1990), or simply norms (Bendor & Swistak 2001). Cialdini et al. (1990) make a conceptual distinction between two different types of norms: descriptive and injunctive. Descriptive norms are conceptualized as perceptions about the prevalence of ...

Behavioral Norms: Perception through the Media (Subject: Communication Reception and Effects ┬╗ Information Processing and Cognitions Psychology ┬╗ Cognitive Psychology. Key-Topics: normativity, social issues) -- Dhavan V. Shah and Hernando Rojas

Social norms entail learned expectations of behavior or categorization that are deemed desirable, or at least appear as unproblematic (Sherif 1936) for a specific social group in a given situation (тЖТ Social Norms). Mass media have been found to help shape тЖТ perceptions of behavioral norms (тЖТ Observational Learning; Media and Perceptions of Reality). These perceptions are consequential for health behaviors, social and sexual practices, democratic participation, and a range of other outcomes. Certain social norms that are considered of extreme importance are typically elevated to the category of legal norms and are enforced through institutional apparatuses. Other norms remain subject to less formalized modes of social control, including systems of rewards and punishments based precisely on sociability that include different combinations of isolation and recognition. Social scientists have long focused on certain key institutions of socialization in which those generalized expectations of behavior are learned by a new generation, namely the family, formal education institutes, and peer group interactions. Mass media are increasingly recognized as another important institution of socialization and cultivator of behavioral norms (тЖТ Socialization by the Media). Social scientists began to acknowledge media as an important socialization institution with the explosion of mass communication ...

The Blackwell Dictionary of Modern Social Thought
    Norms (Subject Sociology) -- Margaret Gilbert

At its most general the idea of a norm is the idea of a pattern. There are two main ways in which this idea has been developed in social theory, where social norms have been the focus of concern. First, there is the idea of a norm as an actual pattern of behaviour, as what is normal in the sense of being regularly or standardly done by members of a population. (The labels тАШsocial habitsтАЩ and тАШusageтАЩ are used of some such patterns.) Second, there is the idea of a norm as a prescribed pattern: as what is considered in a given population to be the thing to do. (The labels тАШconventionтАЩ, тАШsocial ruleтАЩ and Law are used of certain patterns in this category.) I shall refer to norms of this type as тАШprescriptive normsтАЩ. Social norms are often associated with expectations. Two different kinds of expectation need to be distinguished: predictive expectations about what will in fact be done by members of a population, and normative or deontic expectations. Normative expectations involve a belief that the тАШexpectedтАЩ behaviour ought to occur, in some more than merely predictive sense. Actual patterns are likely to be associated with predictive expectations, prescribed patterns with normative expectations. The term тАШnormтАЩ itself is relatively recent in standard social theory usage. The more established terms тАШcustomтАЩ, тАШtraditionтАЩ, тАШconventionтАЩ, тАШlawтАЩ and so on tend to be used for specific types ...

The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management
    Norms (Subject: Business and Management ┬╗ Human Resource Management, International Management) -- Linda S. Gottfredson

A score on a standardized test is interpreted by comparing it to some external standard. When scores are compared to those of some reference population, they are called normтАРreferenced; when compared to some absolute performance standard, they are criterionтАРreferenced. Norms are the distributions of scores (means, standard deviations, etc.) for a test's various reference groups. Normed test scores are most commonly reported as percentile ranks or standard scores, such as z, T, or IQ scores. AgeтАР and gradeтАРequivalents are sometimes reported, especially for achievement tests in elementary school, but they have more technical disadvantages and are prone to misinterpretation. Latent trait or тАЬscaledтАЭ scores provide a new form of developmental norms that solve some but not all the interpretive problems of ageтАР and gradeтАРequivalents. Norm groups (also called reference groups, normative samples, or standardization samples) may be national or local, and represent different age, grade, or social groups. Broad or narrow, however, they must be representative of the populations in question, clearly defined and described, and appropriate for their intended purposes. Intelligence testing compares scores of children of the same age (see intelligence tests). Academic achievement tests typically compare the scores of children in the same grade and often from the same school or geographic area.

Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology
    Norms (Subject: Social Psychology ┬╗ Socialization) -- Steven P. Dandaneau

Norms are informal rules that guide social interaction. They are, as Cristina Bicchieri (2006) calls them, тАЬthe rules we live by.тАЭ As such, norms constitute a critical component in the makeup of human cultures and therefore play a highly significant role in determining what it means to be human. When codified, norms are rendered laws or other types of institutionalized regulatory strictures. When conceived without moral consequence, the term can also refer to mere behavioral regularities, even though adherence or lack thereof to these can and often does result in significant consequences (e.g., it would be highly unusual as well as probably harmful to name an American child Adolf Osama or, depending on one's constructed gender, Sue). Variously defined even by sociologists themselves, there is perhaps no other sociological concept more regularly and widely deployed in everyday talk, nor one about which more has been written and discussed. It is therefore not surprising that a concept as equally vague as it is elemental to the sociological enterprise is also one that is the subject of continuous theoretical debate. Typically considered the founder of modern sociology, ├Йmile Durkheim famously theorized society as both a system of integration involving social bonds and institutions and, even more importantly, as a normative order sui generis. While the former manifestation of ...

Intercultural Norms (Subject Communication Studies ┬╗ Intercultural Communication. Key-Topics: cross-cultural research, normativity) -- Min-Sun Kim

Normative conduct is a major component of systems of culture. Each culture has its specific norms for everyday social interaction. Differences in norms and cultural expectations often become grounds for intercultural miscommunication and misunderstanding (тЖТ Cultural Patterns and Communication; Nonverbal Communication and Culture). There are innumerable definitions of norms in the social science literature. For example, norms are defined as тАЬrules of conduct,тАЭ тАЬblueprints for behavior,тАЭ and тАЬcultural expectations.тАЭ Comparing existing definitions, Gibbs (1965) finds three attributes of a norm: тАЬ(1) a collective evaluation of behavior in terms of what ought to be; (2) a collective expectation as to what behavior will be; and (3) particular reactions to behavior including attempts to apply sanctions or otherwise induce a particular kind of behaviorтАЭ (тЖТ Intercultural Norms; Social Norms). Sumner (1906) divides norms into three categories: folkways, mores, and laws. Folkways are those pervasive everyday activities widely accepted by the people of a culture. Folkways include such actions as the way we greet others, the way we eat, and other such actions. Mores are those norms placing strong moral demands on an individual's behavior. Examples of mores include commandments derived from religious doctrine, incest taboos, and rules about what is acceptable to eat (e.g., in the United States ...

The Blackwell Dictionary of Western Philosophy
    Normative (Subject: Philosophy)

Ethics, philosophy of social science From norm, which means standard or rule, and it is associated with evaluation. A theory is normative if it involves norm-prescription and is descriptive if it simply describes the facts but does not prescribe what one ought to do. Normative ethics is the subject of inquiring about the principles or rules of correct moral behavior and is contrasted to meta-ethics, which analyzes the meaning and logical relations of evaluative terms. To define a normative term in terms of non-moral properties is called by Moore the definist fallacy. Sociologists as well as moral philosophers have pictured our lives as governed by complex hierarchies of norms. тАЬTheories that prescribe standards are normative.тАЭ Glymour, Thinking Things Through ...

A Companion to the Philosophy of Mind
    Normative (Mind and Cognitive Science ┬╗ Philosophy of Mind) -- Samuel Guttenplan

As a rule, satellites follow elliptical orbits, and, also as a rule, drivers in the UK keep to the left side of the road. But there is a big difference between these two sorts of rule-guided behaviours: satellites are governed by the rules or laws of motion; whereas drivers choose to follow the rules of the road. In this second case, one speaks of the rules as norms. Moreover, though this is more controversial, it has been maintained that one can speak of normativity even when there is no exercise of explicit choice in the relevant behaviour. Thus, many linguists, following CHOMSKY, think of our use of language as a case of rule-following even though speakers are not usually aware of the relevant norms. The notion of normativity, in a slightly different guise, figures in other areas of the philosophy of mind. Firstly, it is often said that the attribution of propositional attitudes is normative, though it may not be immediately apparent what rules or norms are at issue in this case. What is meant is roughly this: there are standards of RATIONALITY that govern our attribution of attitudes to each other even though it may well be impossible to spell these standards out in terms of specific rules or norms. For example, it seems plausible that we cannot attribute beliefs about atoms and electrons to a child of three. The тАШcannotтАЩ here marks the fact that it would not be rationally ...

Group Norms (Business and Management ┬╗ International Management, Organizational Behavior) -- Sarah Ronson and Randall S. Peterson

Norms are the unwritten rules that provide guidelines for acceptable behaviors by members of a group. Certain behaviors develop into norms or expectations for all group members over time for a number of reasons, including an influential group member or leader expressing them, group members imitating the actions of others, socially rewarding certain behaviors, group members developing a shared script for events, etc. (Feldman, 1984; Bettenhausen and Murnighan, 1991). Norms can affect not only behavior within a group, but can also influence an individual member's behavior or attitude outside of the group (Sherif, 1966). Norms tend to develop informally and gradually, and to be stable. Situations that are uncertain or unstable are particularly likely to lead to the development of group norms because group members use the group as a reference point for making subjective judgments (Sherif, 1966). Thus, norms tend to serve some function for group members, such as providing information about subjective reality and about how to behave. Norms also benefit the group as a whole. They can (1) define and help enforce behavior that will enable the group to survive (Feldman, 1984); (2) improve group efficiency and effectiveness by making group member behavior predictable (Feldman, 1984); (3) improve member satisfaction by helping members avoid behaviors that the group would not approve of (Feldman, ...

Cultural Norms (Subject: Business and Management ┬╗ International Management) -- John O'Connell

Cultural norms are standards of conduct or acceptable behavior in any given culture. The way people communicate (adding gestures vs. just speaking), the way they eat (fork in right hand if from United States and left hand if from Europe), how close one stands when communicating to another (distant in the United States, close in Latin America), equality of men and women (strive for equality in many countries; not an issue in other countries), the work ethic (commitment to employer vs. individual creativity), and many other situations are influenced by the norms of a society or culture. An expatriate or other person living overseas should be aware of the normative behaviors of the host country prior to taking up residence. See also cultural variables; expatriate training; value dimensions (Hofstede's) (1982). How best to integrate expatriate managers into the domestic organization. Personnel Administrator, July, 27 33. ...

The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Social Psychology
    Norm Theory (Subject: Psychology) -- Dale T. Miller

Postulates that every experience brings its own frame of reference or norm into being either by guiding memory retrieval or by constraining mental simulation (see Kahneman & Tversky, 1982; Miller, Turnbull, & McFarland, 1991). The assumption that the norms used in making inferences, predictions, and comparative judgments are evoked by the event itself, and hence are most appropriately viewed as тАЬpostcomputedтАЭ representations, contrasts with the more traditional assumption that norms consist of тАЬprecomputedтАЭ structures (e.g., schemas and expectancies) that the perceiver brings to the experience. According to the precomputed view, each member of a category (e.g., dogs) is evaluated with reference to the same norm (e.g., a schema for dogs); according to the postcomputed view no two members of the category will evoke exactly the same norm. The sight of a dog will bring to mind schematic information about dogs, but it will also bring to mind exemplars of specific other dogs, such as ones that the perceiver has seen recently. One of the most important determinants of norm formation is similarity. The counterfactual images that an event retrieves from memory or generates in imagination will tend to resemble closely the actual event (see counterfactual thinking). But the evoked norms will never match the observed event in all respects: If they did there would never be any surprise ...

The Blackwell Dictionary of Western Philosophy
    Pure Theory of Law (Subject: Philosophy)

Philosophy of law. A theory developed by the Austrian legal philosopher Hans Kelsen and philosophically based on neo-Kantianism. The theory is pure in the sense that the law should be a universally valid system that is free of all that is changeable and yet able to give ideals that guide lawyers in the search for justice. All moral, political, and sociological contents must be purged from the science of law. According to Kelsen, law is a system of norms, a hierarchy of normative relations that measures human conduct by the use of sanction. The legal norms constitute a relation of condition and sequence rather than a command: тАЬIf A is done, B ought to happen.тАЭ The validity of legal norms is not based on conflicting authorities, but is ultimately derived from a basic norm (Grundnorm) that is postulated in the historically first constitution. The validity of the basic norm is not derived, but must be assumed as an initial hypothesis. Legal theory is concerned with the conceptual tools for analyzing the relations between the fundamental norms and all lower norms within a legal system. It is not concerned with its moral content, which should be the subject-matter of politics or moral theory. On this basis, Kelsen attacked natural law theory, which insists on a necessary connection between law and morality. He drew a sharp distinction between тАЬisтАЭ and тАЬought,тАЭ and denied the possibility ...
    ┬╗Norms┬л are simply thrilling: ┬╗If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman,
    both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death;
    their blood shall be upon them.┬л (Lev. 20:13)