Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol Homophobia

Liked

American Idol Homophobia

I been viewing the US TV show , 'American Idol'. The final has just finished between a gay and a straight as to who is to be crowned the winner.
    Results are determined by viewer phone votes, etc.
    The gay was by a very wide margin vastly superior in every respect to the straight, yet the latter has been crowned the winner.
    A total nonsence result.
    But once again revealing blatant and obvious homophoobia.

Re: American Idol Homophobia

Hmmm...is that why Clay Aiken managed to win?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by zinzone
    I been viewing the US TV show , 'American Idol'. The final has just finished between a gay and a straight as to who is to be crowned the winner.
    Results are determined by viewer phone votes, etc.
    The gay was by a very wide margin vastly superior in every respect to the straight, yet the latter has been crowned the winner.
    A total nonsence result.
    But once again revealing blatant and obvious homophoobia.
    I don't know about homophobia but the gay guy was definitely better than his opponent. Idols is not only about singing... it's more important to be likable

Liked

Go to any proper news report, blog or comment and below are samples of the kind of things being said:

"Kris got the homophobe vote, no doubt about it. Like palantir said, Adam Lambert should be relieved. How positively dorky to be crowned "American Idol" anyway. I enjoy this show for some strange reason, but it becomes a joke when the obviously superior singer loses because of a bunch of freaking homophobes (another word for hypocrite in my book - especially those from the South)."

"adam lambert is on a completely different level - he's too good for american idol. this just goes to show what happens when you let middle america vote...these are the same people who voted for bush. twice. "

"Plain and simple - this was my first year watching American Idol - and I thought it was great. I've been a fan of Adam's since the beginning, he was by far in a league of his own. Whether he appeals to you or not, nobody was even close in this competition in terms of talent, confidence and performance ability. To lose to Kris was pathetic, even Kris himself was shocked and knew he didn't deserve to win. So with that being said, it was my first year of watching this show, and will most certainly be my last. "

Clay Aiken was even more flaming than Adam.

America may have gotten it wrong -- I have no idea because I do not watch the show -- but I do not scream "homophobia" and go on a FOQ rant if the fag doesn't always win.

I liked Adam but he was a little screechy at times. Some of his performances, such as his first one on Tuesday night are absolutely incredible.

It's frequently the case that the winner sells about 2 copies of their album and the runner-up becomes a star.

Liked

Clay Aiken did not win. He was runnerup.

On May 21, 2003, Aiken came in a close second to Ruben Studdard
    Wiki

The Washington Post is theorizing the current winner mainly won because of the "family Christian" vote. The winner was an out believer while the loser was not publicly declaring any religious life. You could see that as code for gay vs straight, probably a factor for sure.
    Cunt Pride!

Quote Originally Posted by Narakmak
    Clay Aiken did not win. He was runnerup.

On May 21, 2003, Aiken came in a close second to Ruben Studdard
    Ruben who?

LOL. There you go...winning ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mlomker
    It's frequently the case that the winner sells about 2 copies of their album and the runner-up becomes a star.
    As shown by Chris Daughtry (3rd place), whose latest album has sold over 5 million, unlike the winner whose name I can't remember. Maybe I am slow, as I had not realised Adam was gay (did not stop him doing a great duet); I enjoyed all his songs, and he reminded me a bit of Bryan Ferry.

I had not realised either that American Idol was so important (100 million votes!!!) or that "family Christian" Americans would have taken it so seriously. I do recall, though, one pick-up driver shouting "frigging homos" as he passed three of us sitting at the side of the road in the "Bible Belt", presumably because we were wearing cycling clothes (Spandex, Lycra, etc), and another one firing a shotgun out of the window towards us under similar circumstances; on the other hand, far more invited us into their homes to spend the night with them and their families as we passed through (preferably after doing our laundry, as we were long distance cycle touring, so rather sweaty!), with the utmost trust and generosity for total strangers.

Adam has never said he was gay. Though some people assume it, based on mannerisms I guess? I thought we were trying to get away from pegging people based on stereotypes.