Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: pattaya internet connection

Forum's veteran
    Liked

pattaya internet connection

I have a s-l-o-w internet connection with TT&T. (Forget about getting it corrected, lines are over loaded...) I sometimes cannot get onto this sight or second web sights from a carrier due to the slowness.

I was wondering if it is safe to use ones credit card for payments on a computer at one of the internet cafes? (I never have, but may have to--need to book a hotel .) I don't want to use the computer at work.

Liked

Re: pattaya internet connection

Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill
    I have a s-l-o-w internet connection with TT&T. (Forget about getting it corrected, lines are over loaded...) I sometimes cannot get onto this sight or second web sights from a carrier due to the slowness.

I was wondering if it is safe to use ones credit card for payments on a computer at one of the internet cafes? (I never have, but may have to--need to book a hotel .) I don't want to use the computer at work.

It is not advisable to do any type of banking or purchasing using a public computer.

Liked

Re: pattaya internet connection

It is not advisable to do any type of banking or purchasing using a public computer.
    Very good advice. I never would. It is easy to install a device called a keylogger which records every keystroke you make - including account numbers and passwords.

Is there anywhere with a decent wireless connection you can use? Using these is not safe in itself (the data stream can be intercepted in a number of ways) but you can make it safe by using an encrypted proxy. I use Anonymizer:
    http://www.anonymizer.com/
    The software's easy to set up. All of your communications are routed through a secure server (you pay an annual subscription for this) so all that anyone else can see is that you are connected to Anonymizer. If you use the encryption option (you should, especially for wireless) then even if the data stream is intercepted at the local router, in the wireless hotspot, it is unintelligible. It also has built in protection from "man in the middle" and "evil twin" scams - both highly dangerous.

I would also install Roboform:
    http://www.roboform.com/
    Apart from saving you from forgetting passwords, or writing them down (which is dangerous in iyself) it also checks that the site you are inputting a password to is the one you originally set it up for - again defeating man in the middle and evil twin. It also stops anyone looking over your shoulder and seeing you type a password in.

If you don't already own a laptop, or don't fancy carting one around with you, you could consider getting a netbook. There are some very good ones around for about ┬г250 ($375) or so. You'd probably want to get one with Windows XP on it. If you go down that route, I could make a couple of suggestions on setting it up.

Finally, if you have to use a machine in an internet cafe, you could get a U3 USB stick:
    http://www.u3.com/
    This is a smart USB stick with your own web browser and other software on it. There are versions of Firefox, Anonymizer and Roboform that will run on it, as well as various anti virus and anti spyware programmes. You plug it in to a computer, have your session on the net, close it down and it is as if you have never been there - no traces should remain. I have one, but it is mainly for emergencies - they don't always work (blocked by network settings on the host computer, I guess) and in any case I still won't put my CC number into a computer thats not my own if I can possibly avoid it.

Hope this helps