Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Wowpow, you are missed.

Liked

Wowpow, you are missed.

I have long wanted to post a paean to our departed friend Terry Power -- Wowpow. I wish I were able to do so now, but can find no words which do Terry justice. I can but say Terry was a courteous, honorable, polished and, refined man. A gentleman in the finest sense of the word.

Terry owned an extensive library of opera videos, heavily freighted with Wagner. These will go to Somtow Sucharitkul, conductor of the Bangkok Symphony, whose concerts Terry frequently enjoyed. They will be used in the instruction of his students. A devotee of Terpsichore , Terry acquired a collection of forty-five ballet videos. They will be given to Somtow Sucharitkul to pass on to an appropriate institution.

Terry attended hundreds of operas, concerts and shows in the UK, Europe, Australia and the US, saving the elaborately printed programs, often with ticket stubs inside. Terry valued them so that he had hundreds of them shipped to Thailand.

Typical are programs of the Metropolitan Opera, The English national Opera, the Lincoln Center, SadlerтАЩs Wells, , Welsh National Opera, The National Theater, Glyndebourne Festival Opera, and on, and on. There must be two dozen programs from Covent Garden alone. They must weigh at least seventy-five kg.

Having nothing better to do with my own much smaller accumulation when leaving the US, I gave them to the garbage man. This is a course I am loath to follow with TerryтАЩs collection, but I can think of nothing else. Anyone with a better idea (which they are willing to execute) may send me a P.M., and I will deliver the material to them en masse. I cannot deal with it piecemeal. Otherwise, regretfully, I must discard it. .

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Re: Wowpow, you are missed.

Terry Power

RIP my Friend.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Geezer, Here's a thought. Perhaps you could cal L'Opera Italian Restaurant - Sukhumvit Soi 39, Bangkok - 02-258 5606.
    They may well be interested as they could use the programmes in there decoration in some way. They have plaenty of wall space so perhaps they could frame and glaze the ones they wish. As you say ... it's a job lot, no picking and choosing. I am sure they would be grateful of the opportunity.

Also the the Bangkok City Ballet might be the place to unload those videos.

Regards
    krobbie

RIP Wowpow

Liked

If krobbie's (very creative) suggestion doesn't work out, have you considered putting them up for sale on ebay (with the purchaser to pay shipping, of course). Sell them as a job lot, but pick out some star singers as the headline. There are collectors out there for them, I am sure. And, if you wanted, you could donate the proceeds to a charity that Wowpow would have supported, as a donation in his name.