Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Blu-Ray DVDs in LOS?" - Part 2

Forum's veteran
    Liked

"Blu-Ray DVDs in LOS?" - Part 2

As an update to the question I asked in May 2008 [Blu-Ray DVDs in LOS?]:

When I was in Pantip Plaza last month Blu-Ray discs were available, but when I asked if they had them the vendor ran off to another spot and brought a total of about 25 back to show me. The two guys manning the stall knew that they were different but asked me to explain what the difference is.

They were in the regular blue plastic cases you'd see in a store instead of the cellophane sleeves you'd expect to see copied media packaged in. The price was Bt175, or around $5 US.

I only asked at the one stall just out of curiosity and didn't do any further searching. I suspect players and store-bought copies aren't widely available (if at all) because of the cost - just as some suggested when replying to the original thread.

Just FYI.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: "Blu-Ray DVDs in LOS?" - Part 2

The overall opinion about HD in Thailand (as it was discussed in the May thread) was that it was still too pricey for most folks in Thailand. To my knowledge there are no HD broadcasts.

I was DVD player shopping in December (to replace one for family I help there) and didn't see any blu-ray players, although they may be available in some stores a little higher-end than BigC or Tesco Lotus! I also didn't notice any blu-ray DVDs in the couple of mall shops I stopped in for music, but then I wasn't looking, either.

Electronics CAN be cheaper, but not always. Others with much more experience than I will probably chime in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    Hi

That's a great price on Blu-ray.
    Yes and at that price what you are getting at best is probably an AVCHD shot with a hand-held similar to the Panny SD9 in a cinema, burned on a laptop. I can't even buy blank bluray media for that price.

Just wondering if HD TV's were real common in Thailand and thus Blu-ray (although it's not likely to last long as a format) is increasing? The players are getting somewhat more common now in the US,
    The most common bluray player is the Sony Playstation. Is it not popular in the US? HDTV is not yet a stable standard.

but since most laptops play Blue Ray I just use the HDMI out on my laptop to connect to the HDMI port in the TV and it works great!
    At best that should read a large proportion of NEW laptops sold in the US.

Do you wait Blu-ray? My understanding is the electronics in Thailand are somewhat more advanced, especially when it comes to Telecom and Web access.

Last week the SDXC spec was launched at the Las Vegas Computer Electronics Show. It promises a content carrier of up to 2 terrabytes on SD cards. However, it is debatable whether near future consumers will want to purchase artifact snapshots e.g. films or "movies", of entertainment or pay-per-view streams.

The idea that the Thai market has sophisticated electronics available is dubious. There are pockets of High End gear in the glitzy new department stores near Siam Square and a hodge podge of dubious stuff in Pantip, MBK (for mobile phones) and the mall near Rama 9. It doesn't really reach the diversity available in Akihabera or other mature markets and scenarios are distorted by standardisation and regionalisation.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by 555
    Yes and at that price what you are getting at best is probably an AVCHD shot with a hand-held similar to the Panny SD9 in a cinema, burned on a laptop. I can't even buy blank bluray media for that price.
    Surprisingly enough the discs I saw at Pantip were true digital masters on blu-ray discs. Their asking price was Bt 200 each but they accepted an offer of Bt 175.

as you know all TV transmission must be digital by next month
    certainly not the case in Thailand, which was the topic of the thread.

Your imagining that I'd have to attend the CES to know of significant events at it betrays your rather blinkered view of human activity, Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by bao-bao
    Surprisingly enough the discs I saw at Pantip were true digital masters on blu-ray discs. Their asking price was Bt 200 each but they accepted an offer of Bt 175.
    Did you buy any, have you tried them and are they regionally encoded? I'm happy to take your word bao-bao so would really like to know what you really bought.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Did you buy any, have you tried them and are they regionally encoded? I'm happy to take your word bao-bao so would really like to know what you really bought.
    Four out of the five worked when I got them back to the US (region 1) so I'm assuming they were region-free, but as already discussed above I had no way of checking them while in LOS.

They were current titles released here in the US just a few weeks before my to my trip to Thailand.

HD is already widespread in Thailand, for at least as much as any individual Thai is able to spend. There is DVD on HD. DVD is standard resolution and will always be just that, but it looks alright and GOOD on anything past 60" HD television sets (with upconversion - standard now). Indeed the experience of DVD is certainly enhanced by HD (larger screen sizes), and like everything else, MORE fun in Thailand :bounce: . Thailand has been "catering" for so long there is a FAIR bvase of DVDs available for cheap purchase, but sneak in your best DVDs when you get here. As much of Thai farang culture is European AND North American the entire PAL/NTSC TV and theatre multisystem base is entrenched. No need to worry which format your download is in! But Remember that Thailand is 240v standard (in addition to driving the other way).

Forget getting both the Superbowl and World Cup in HD at home , ever, in Thailand, however. What exists in Thailand now is only based on the existing "infrastructure", and while it still should be sufficient for a very long time, shows no sign of ever getting better, except in the very rich neighborhoods, of course.

DVDs on HD are fine. I enjoy going back through my entire collection starting in the 50s. BUT "high res" is noticeably better. It will come along in Thailand (not like in San Diego, sorry ;-)). The big story in HD will be whether memory cards will replace the entire DVD/BD universe in a decade. I just got a $100.00 16GByte Stick that would hold ONE (1) 2 x DVD9 set James Bond Movie plus extras. 5 years to come down to strat to make a difference? How far will BD get?

What's BD?
    A fairly common mnemonic for Bluray Disc. Sony even use it on the menu on their players. The competing carrier was called HD-DVD. Ponbkk is mostly talking about satisfaction with algorithmically enhanced pictures from BD or HD-DVD players or through AV receivers. They will significantly improve recent video rendering on recently shot footage but don't do much for older footage e.g. my Barenboim "Ring".

Reviewers say that if you enhance twice e.g. with the player and the amplifier the result is worse. However, I haven't noticed this.