Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "So sorry"....most will not be back and no new one

Re: champions ..

Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
    And, after all, when we're talking about it "happening to them", we're talking only about a relatively minor inconvenience -- not death by beheading or bomb attack. Let's get real here.
    I guess Chao na must be one of that handful of people who think it unlikely that violence will continue, or that some form of civil war will follow the event we are not allowed to mention. It was after all only Thais killing each other wasn't it.
    How many deaths total were there during the whole debacle, start to finish? Let's compare to what happened in Bali, or in India recently, and get back to reality instead of being Chicken Littles. The past few weeks have been a minor bump in comparison, and will be quickly forgotten. Unless the situation gets worse - which it may, or which it may not. Let's discuss again if, and when, tourists' physical security is ever threatened.

The more I see of Thai politics the more I realise it is foolish to make predictions.

Many people were forecasting a rebadged PPP taking over as the new government. Events today make it look quite likely that instead a Democrat led coalition will actually be taking over. Even last minute negotiations by Thaksin's ex-wife werent able to sway enough people to join with the Puea Thai party, and Thaksin's sister couldnt even manage a nomination for party leader.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=135207

Maybe some of the politicians have taken notice of recent events and have decided its time to move away from Thaksin. Only time will tell. And who knows what the UDD response will be.

its the exchange rate , which in the end will stop people coming, no matter if gay or str8

Liked
    The land of Smiles is a great place for the family, lots of history, great temples that still practice what they believe. If its the sex trade that susutains the tourism then it is a sad statement indeed. There is so much more to Thaland that a boy, mind you, that is enough to get me there, but I get plenty of that here. The truth is there is no where quite like LOS. If it loses that remarkable packaged smile, the land of Smiles brings with it, then I am not sure we have not lost more than just a coup or two. I don't trust the Thai goverment to keep me safe , I don't here either and never did in Kyrgyzstan. its up to me to keep me safe when a guest in another country. A bump in the road it may be, but honestly, after having been there, met the people seen them work play and love. I was astonished to see the mild mannerd everyday Joe Thai guy on the news packed up for a long stay in the Airport. I really saw a side to them I had never seen. Unfortunatly, the world was watching as well. It may be a bump but a small one .... Im not sure yet!

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Liked

Re: champions ..

Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    It was after all only Thais killing each other wasn't it.
    Yes.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Quote Originally Posted by jimnbkk
    Some thoughts of my own: Guarding the airports against what the PAD deployed would have taken at least a division of troops. ... PAD descended in mass. ... The oracle has spoken.
    It wouldn't, and they didn't.

Had the Army (not the Police) wanted to stop the move to and the invasion of the airport they could have done so very easily with relatively few troops and a minimum of bloodshed. They had ample warning, but they simply did not want to.

Similarly, they could have ended the occupation of Government House before it got out of hand with a minimum of effort, and even when it was at its height it would not have been a major problem. Again, they simply did not want to.

The oracle is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by netrix
    bullshit. it didn't take long for phuket and phi phi to see an even bigger return in tourism in a short time following the tsunami ...what percentage of thailand's tourism do you really think is senior citizens and families?
    Bullshit!!! Most tourists can see the difference between a one-off natural disaster which has never happened before, and is unlikely to happen again, and recent events. And the amount contributed by your backpacking buddies is minimal in comparison with the amount spent by the Asian and European "senior citizens and families".

Liked

Danger

It seems motivation of visitors is being brought into question. Political or natural bad times and not a big put off. I remember after the airplanes were grounded after 9/11 disaster in New York. I hopped on a plane a few day later, with full intent that if someone tried to take over the plane I would toss my shoe at them or at last try to bang one of the bad guys on the head with my shoe. One can not let fear rule what one does in life. It is not smart to walk in the face of disaster like jumping off a 10 story bulding thinking that if is not my time to die, I won't die. But if we suspend all pursuits because of what might happen, then we are giving a lot of power to entities not deserving of that power. My next trip to LOS will be in May. During the airport takeover I did not flinch in determination to vacation in May. But that is me and I understand others may choose some other destination this year. Whoever suggested Rio, that is a very good choice. I never know about Brazil's money, but I did notice the going rate for Baht to the dollar is about 35,, seems good to me.

Add Greece to the list of former tourism meccas where tourists will never, ever set foot again. Hahaha.

Liked
    ....and London. He he he news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7770513.stm
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
    Add Greece to the list of former tourism meccas where tourists will never, ever set foot again. Hahaha.
    I will 18th december. Hahaha
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay