Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Analysis of PAD

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Interesting Analysis of PAD

Analysis of the PAD by a BBC correspondent.

There are interesting times ahead.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7762806.stm

Interesting times ahead

Essentially supports what is being implied by some of the media in Australia. An absence last night is also ominous.

Liked

FT article

I believe the following article from the FT provides a good analysis:
    Financial Times article

I am not an expert on anything Thai, but I believe what Thailand is experiencing is nothing new for most developing countries. What to do with an agricultural population that has awaken to its power. Thaksin pandered to them and now they know they can be tools for any politician who wants to use them.

And for those who were anti-PAD here, do remember that the current system of cheap "entertainment" comes from this mass of Northeasterners. Do you think they are really smiling?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Interesting Analysis of PAD

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala
    Analysis of the PAD by a BBC correspondent.

There are interesting times ahead.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7762806.stm
    Interesting.

They were so well organised and executed it was almost "un-Thai"

Liked

Re: FT article

Quote Originally Posted by Davey612
    And for those who were anti-PAD here, do remember that the current system of cheap "entertainment" comes from this mass of Northeasterners. Do you think they are really smiling?
    I hope most of us while very much appreciating their services, at the same time also sincerely hope they'll be able to uplift themselves even more, and hope they'll get maximum help from politics for this. Different attitudes between Asia and the West might mean the impact on our "entertainment" might be more positive than you seem to fear (a more open version of say Japan).

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gumblebee

might be more positive than you seem to fear (a more open version of say Japan).
    And what is that like?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Davey612
    I'm certainly "anti-Pad" and the main reason for that is, for better or worse, I believe in the concept of democracy. Pad doesn't; besides, their main leader (Sondhi) is as corrupt a Thai politician that you can name and he's also damn near mental instability.

I do wish you would explain the rest of your comments as, frankly, I'm a bit thick-headed tonight. Are you suggesting that the rural poor would be more morally correct and/or happier if (1) PAD was in charge and/or (2) the rural poor were disenfranchised? If so, I don't agree at all....but some of that disagreement is based on my attitude toward democracy. The rural poor aren't so dumb in my eyes, they having chosen to vote for those who benefit them (agricultural loans, the health care system, etc.) the most. What's so dumb about that? Most people in most countries do just that (if they are given the chance to vote). Or should the rural poor be smart (read this last "smart" as "dumb") enough to support the polticians and elite who have never done a damn thing for them and treat them as ignorant nobodies that are entitled to nothing?

Democracy, of course, works best with an educated public. If the Thai elite want that to occur, the remedy it seems is to provide the free education through the high school level that the various Thai constitutions have "guaranteed" but not provided for years. Advocating that 70% of the legislature be appointed by the elite is just another way of keeping the rural poor powerless and, of course, poor. The elite for years also have voted their pocketbook - supporting whoever will continue the long-established custom that they always get the largest slice of the pie.

Is sepration the solution

If the elite can not understand what is democracy; the rule of the majority, then they should be prepared to acdept the division of the country into 2 states. The Poor vs the rich, meaning Banagkok Vs the rest. Is this is what they eventually asking for?

Respect the democratic institutions and let them work the system. Let the Judiciary do it's job if you have a cause.

Another viewpoint

Ethnic Thais are a minority in Thailand- perhaps 25 million out of a population of circa 60 miliion.
    Most of the NE is Lao, Areas round Buri Ram and Surin are primarily Khmer. The southern provinces are Malay.
    Only in Bangkok and the central plains are the Thai to be found
    The PPP government gets its support primarily from non Thais.
    Perhaps the PAD objects to Thailand being run by non Thais?

I think a lot of people out of Bangkok will be surprised to hear they arent Thai - the ones I know certainly consider themselves to be Thai