Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: A further note on "racism"

A further note on "racism"

When I joined the Peace Corps in 1968, I was a sheltered middle-class boy of 22 headed off for Tunisia.

I grew up in La Jolla, and the model I held in my mind was: "nice people from abroad come to live in America" -- from American Field Service students. They would move in with American families, share the work, and learn English.

When I went to Tunisia, this was the ideal I had in mind. So I went south to Gabes, rented a house with three other Tunisian teachers (we were all working at the same high school), and settled down to learning Arabic and Tunisian culture. I was at that time a complete virgin, unaware of the sound of two guys fucking, and so it was only some ten years later that I realized Mohamed was fucking Husain. (I could hear the noise through the wall, but didn't know what it was.)

The royal sexual ceremony happened once every week or two. I only noticed that Husain was (if you stretched it) a bit feminine. but Mohamed seemed to be a very reliable top.

So I was living on $60 a month, with my colleagues. While two of them were fucking, I had nothing.... until I began to understand Tunisia.

But the point of this all is as follows: when my fellow Peace Corps volunteers and I had a re-union, I discovered the rather amazing fact that I had been the ONLY ONE who lived with Tunisians! All of the other Americans lived with American roomies. The adventurous minority included a French roomie, and there were even one or two who lived with both French and (a) (token) Tunisian.

I like to think about this when un-thinking political robots cruise in and call me "racist" or "fascist."

Yeah, I know you. You're all talk and no action.

The same thing happened to me in Iran.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    OK we got the message..you like to f**k Arabs.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
    And Persians (most Iranians aren't Arab).

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    "I like to think about this when un-thinking political robots cruise in and call me "racist" or "fascist." "

So you were still a virgin at 22 ?. Now that explains a lot.

I don't think anyone on here has called you a racist or fascist..although I've probably called you the very worst insult I can think of..a gay Republican ! :cheers:

..although I've probably called you the very worst insult I can think of..a gay Republican!
    Not an Irish republican then?

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked
    And you do too, you painted Jeezabel!

A virgin at 22, only in America! lol
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunty
    And you do too, you painted Jeezabel!
    guilty as charged yor honour.

Re: A further note on "racism"

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Cate
    But the point of this all is as follows: when my fellow Peace Corps volunteers and I had a re-union, I discovered the rather amazing fact that I had been the ONLY ONE who lived with Tunisians! All of the other Americans lived with American roomies. The adventurous minority included a French roomie, and there were even one or two who lived with both French and (a) (token) Tunisian.
    What point? This has nothing to do with "racism" - simply naivety, and a lack of knowledge of what your fellow Americans were doing which appears to continue to this day.