Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The life of Alan Turing....

The life of Alan Turing....

Alan Turing was a bright British boy, and, as became apparent over the years, completely attracted to other boys.

Alan Turing was so bright that he wound up heading a major British cryptanalysis project, during WW II.

When the war was over, a lot of people gave major credit to Alan Turing, for helping to rescue Britain from the Nazis.

And then he began to be persecuted for his homosexuality.

This is a moment in time which I am unable to forget. Turing bravely stepped forth, and helped his country to win the war with Nazi Germany and its Enigma machines. While doing this, he helped to invent the modern computer.

But Alan Turing made some fatal mistakes (fatal in the Britain of the 1950's). He picked up a boy, and the boy robbed him, so, naif that he was, he called the police. The English police instead arrested HIM.

He was subected to "merciful treatment" -- that would be, submitting to massive injections of estrogen (female hormones). Towards the end of his short life, he confided to friends, "I'm growing breasts!!"

He finally squirted a fatal poison (cyanide) into an orange and ate the orange.

Oh see what Britain will do for its war heroes.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    yes we know about Alan Turing and is was a great tragedy. But is Britain alone in abandoning it's heroes ? I'm sure the CIA would do likewise.

More importantly. why are you torturing us ?
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Duh, Mr. Lunchtime!

I think I could get up a line of chorus gals, singing:

Duh, Mr. Lunchtime,
    Duh, Mr. Lunchtime,
    You started this shit.
    And now you want for it
    To be OVER.

Hodges does a bit better than Cates as Turing's biographer. Click there to see the web-site.

Those genuinely interested in evaluating Turing's life might like to try and catch a sighting of the BBC production "Breaking the Code"

Those who believe that the Americans won the war despite the British should remember that the film described at url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-571_(film) known as "U-571" is a Hollywood fantasy.

Yes, he probably does do a better job

I have read, and reviewed, the excellent bio by Hodges.

In fact, I was relying on him for every syllable I wrote.

So -- your point was?

Would that be a Club Of One?

Those who believe that the Americans won the war despite the British should remember that the film described at url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-571_(film) known as "U-571" is a Hollywood fantasy.
    Big Straw Man emerges from Nowhere!

Re: Yes, he probably does do a better job

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Cate

So -- your point was?
    My point?

Andrew Hodges does a bit of a better job than Henry Cates as Turing's biographer.

Liked

alan turing would know this

along the way of Alan Turing is a stadium called city of manchester stadium, aka eastlands and since the "take over" is now known as Middle Eastlands. Outside the stadium is a sculpture .the question is WHAT IS THE LETTER?
    [color=#0000BF]why you no risson[/color]

Liked

Re: The life of Alan Turing....

Alan Turing was a bright British boy, and, as became apparent over the years, completely attracted to other boys. .....He finally squirted a fatal poison (cyanide) into an orange and ate the orange......
    Yes, he probably does do a better job. I have read, and reviewed, the excellent bio by Hodges. In fact, I was relying on him for every syllable I wrote. So -- your point was?.....
    Of Henry, wrong again, in at least one point! It was not an orange, but an apple!

This pro-Britisher Turing posting rather negates your own earlier pro "we Americans invented everything to do with the computer and the internet" stance, too, doesn't it. As the American writer Cory Doctorow wrote on Turing's 96th birthday (24th June 2008): "Today would have been the 96th birthday of cryptologist, mathematician and father of almost everything digital Alan Turing. That he was persecuted for his homosexuality to the point of suicide is a crime and a tragedy. Remember today the man who, more than Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, is the reason you are now sitting at a computer, reading this very sentence."

As for stories of how different countries treat their war heroes, how about this one?
    "US Iraq war hero Joseph Dwyer dies of apparent drugs overdose. A US army medic who became a symbol of American heroism and integrity in the Iraq war has died of an apparent drugs overdose." (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rdose.html). It concerns the lack of care given to veterans of the Iraqi conflict - and there is no excuse that he was gay!

Or "Questionable Treatment for Some Iraq Heroes. Veteran Care Under Review as More Than 22,000 Are Discharged With 'Pre-Existing' Personality Disorder, Which Some Say Developed During War (http://abcnews.go.com/WN/WoodruffReport ... id=3368726)?

Oh see what Britain will do for its war heroes.
    Not doing, did - 60 years ago!

And see what the US is doing now for its war heroes!

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    what ?..no place for the 11 million Russian soldiers who defeated the German army ?
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.