Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thai Banks in Europe and the US

Thai Banks in Europe and the US

Has anyone opened an account with a Thai bank in Europe or the US? Can you just deposit your money in your account and then ATM it out in Bangkok? Fees??

Why does it have to be a Thai bank?
    I can deposit money in a British bank or building society & withdraw it in almost any country in the world.

I suppose a Thai bank is less likely to go bust of course.

HSBC and Standard Chartered both have their own international banking centre that allow overseas customers to open a Thai bank account before they go to Thailand. However they charge a lot of set-up fees so unless you are moving there for good it's not worth it. Even if you manage to open a local Thai bank account in advance, each overseas deposit can only done so via remittance so probably it's cheaper to stick with your own bank's ATM option.

The US of A

Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York and if you do a Search I started a thread a couple of months or so ago on their service. Basically you can wire funds from your US bank account to Bangkok Bank in NY for the cost of a domestic wire transfer, and it gets deposited into your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. Go to the Bangkok Bank home page for details. HSBC has a service called Premier and Citibank one called Citigold which may serve your purposes although each bank has only one branch in Bangkok. For a bank in Thailand to offer deposit services in another country (which is what Bangkok Bank are doing in New York) I believe they have to have a banking licence in that country, so it won't be commonplace

Quote Originally Posted by z909
    I can deposit money in a British bank or building society & withdraw it in almost any country in the world. I suppose a Thai bank is less likely to go bust of course.
    In 1997 a number of Thai banks almost did go bust and were "rescued" in ways that were comparable to Northern Rock and HBOS. You seem to have a death wish about your own country, and an extraordinary lack of historical perspective on anything. When the Chinese Prime Minister under Mao Tse-tung (Chou En-lai) was asked what he thought of the French Revolution he replied "It's too soon to tell"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: The US of A

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York and if you do a Search I started a thread a couple of months or so ago on their service. Basically you can wire funds from your US bank account to Bangkok Bank in NY for the cost of a domestic wire transfer, and it gets deposited into your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. Go to the Bangkok Bank home page for details. HSBC has a service called Premier and Citibank one called Citigold which may serve your purposes although each bank has only one branch in Bangkok. For a bank in Thailand to offer deposit services in another country (which is what Bangkok Bank are doing in New York) I believe they have to have a banking licence in that country, so it won't be commonplace

Liked
    As is mentioned above, Bangkok bank has an office in New York. Also of interest, the old Farmers bank, now known as Kasikorn bank has an office in Los Angeles.

With the onset of Internet banking, does anyone know what the charges are for Internet banking transfers between for example, transferring money from my American bank to a Thai bank branch in America and then withdrawing the funds from a local ATM machine?

The reason I ask is because I can transfer money (on line/Internet) from my home bank to any bank in America for free. I can also have a check mailed anywhere in America from my bank in America using (internet banking service) for free.

I could sign up at Bangkok bank and try it out, but was just interested to know if anyone has done this.

In the mean time I get charged nearly 400 baht everytime I withdraw from an ATM machine using my American bank visa ATM card.

Yes, the charge is cheaper than withdrawing from a Thai boy but I am just saying.........Anyone have an on-line account with an American bank and Thai bank and tried this?
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

Quote Originally Posted by bigben
    In the mean time I get charged nearly 400 baht everytime I withdraw from an ATM machine using my American bank visa ATM card.
    400 baht is really greedy. Have you tried shopping around the other US banks?

Most in the UK charge about 2.75%, which is also greedy. I opened an account with the Nationwide who do not charge anything, other than a very small spread on the exchange rates.

My comments on UK banks going bust refer to 2008.
    Never under estimate the damaging effects of a massive balance of trade defict & irresponsible borrowing. As one of the Germans said last year "The British experiment of making nothing & owning nothing is very interesting. I think we should see how it works over 20 years before repeating it in Germany"

There has been an illusion of wealth in the UK, supported by very high GDP per capita figures. Now GDP = total consumer spending + total government spending.
    People don't get rich by spending borrowed money -investing it perhaps, but never by spending it.

>>As is mentioned above, Bangkok bank has an office in New York. Also of interest, the old Farmers bank, now known as Kasikorn bank has an office in Los Angeles.

With the onset of Internet banking, does anyone know what the charges are for Internet banking transfers between for example, transferring money from my American bank to a Thai bank branch in America and then withdrawing the funds from a local ATM machine?

The reason I ask is because I can transfer money (on line/Internet) from my home bank to any bank in America for free. I can also have a check mailed anywhere in America from my bank in America using (internet banking service) for free.

I could sign up at Bangkok bank and try it out, but was just interested to know if anyone has done this.

In the mean time I get charged nearly 400 baht everytime I withdraw from an ATM machine using my American bank visa ATM card. <<

This is my question also. My friend is charged $7.50 each ATM withdraw in Thailand from Bank of America. If he has a Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank account in the US and uses an ATM card at one of these two banks in Thailand what would the fee, charges, be? Is this treated in Thailand as a normal withdraw from a local bank?

My understanding is that the Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, etc. bank branches do NOT operate as retail banks. You cannot just waltz in and open an account with one of them, as I understand.