Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apocalpse Now - why Americans have no sense of perspective

Apocalpse Now - why Americans have no sense of perspective

http://housingpanic.blogspot.com/

Is it the Puritan heritage, this peculiarly American belief that the Apocalypse is just a round the corner? Remember all those books pre-Y2K, about stocking up? The whole industry has recycled itself and it's now the housing bust. The world as we know it is coming to an end - the world, in this case, being America. It's of a piece with the "Why us? Why are we under attack? It's the end of the world" attitude post September 11, when in fact the US had been exporting funding for terror and training foreigners in terrorist techniques for thirty years. It's no wonder fruitcakes like Henry Cate can sincerely assert that America "rescued" Europe in two world wars. There's just no grip on reality

Liked

Re: Apocalpse Now - why Americans have no sense of perspecti

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    It's no wonder fruitcakes like Henry Cate can sincerely assert that America "rescued" Europe in two world wars.
    Other than Henry not being a fruitcake, he's at least correct that we did do the two rescues. And be thankful that we didn't fuck that up (like we do so many things with such ease) or you'd likely be speaking German right now. Verstehen sie das, Colonel Klink?

Liked
    Any so-called "rescue" of Europe was the incidental by-product of the USA needing to counter-attack Germany, a country that had declared war on it. America's going to war was not an altruistic decision to rescue anybody - it was, rather, an unavoidable response to the fact that war had been declared upon it by the power that was occupying Western Europe at the time.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked
    Geez, we kicked your asses out of here 300 years ago, rescue your sorry asses twice in the last century, and now your poking at our motives. Hell, let's just say our reason was to save Big Ben because we figured he had a huge swanz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Other than Henry not being a fruitcake, he's at least correct that we did do the two rescues.
    This probably won't come as news to you, Bob, but I've always regarded you as a right-wing fruitcake

Liked

This probably won't come as news to you, Bob, but I've always regarded you as a right-wing fruitcake
    I'm not sure if I'll lose sleep tonight over that or not. I'll advise in the morning.

Motives

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius
    Any so-called "rescue" of Europe was the incidental by-product of the USA needing to counter-attack Germany, a country that had declared war on it. America's going to war was not an altruistic decision to rescue anybody - it was, rather, an unavoidable response to the fact that war had been declared upon it by the power that was occupying Western Europe at the time.
    I might agree it was not an altruistic decision to go to war with Germany. It was a geopolitical necessity. We could not, for our own future survival, allow Germany to control Europe, or Japan to control the Far East.

But whatever the motive, we still bailed your asses out.

I'm not sure if I'll lose sleep tonight over that or not. I'll advise in the morning.
    My young nieces and nephews invariable sleep well and as we all know, you've never claimed to be a grown-up. I don't think there's a doubt about whether you'll lose any sleep

Liked

I don't think there's a doubt about whether you'll lose any sleep
    Come on, Homi, life isn't much fun without a little suspense. :cheers:

I don't think there's a doubt about whether you'll lose any sleep
    Come on, Homi, life isn't much fun without a little suspense
    Each to their own perversion, I suppose