Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL ...

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx
    smiles...regarding your comments on chao na(whatever...)....your my new super hero....
    I'm quite sure that Smiles will be delighted to have you as his new best pal.

What is even weirder...

Quote Originally Posted by 555
    Hainan Chicken and Rice with Ginger Brown Bean Sauce." (Nancie McDermott, Real Thai.)
    So this Nancie person thinks Hainan is in Thailand. Weird.
    This is absolutely one of the weirdest comments I have ever read. "Cocky and ignorant" does not even begin to describe it.

"555" can't be bothered to look up Nancie or her book on Google. In fact, "555" knows jack-shit about Nancie McDermott or her cookbook.

And yet SOMEHOW, I am not sure how, he leaps to the absurd conclusion that Nancie McDermott does not know where Hainin is.

Evidently, questions of cultural influence are way above this dude's pay-grade.

Pause for breath.

INDOCHINA.

Thailand has a huge country to the West, called India, and a huge country to the north, called China. Therefore, the entire region was once called Indochina.

"555," if you have any interest in this place, get used to trying to find the various cultural influences from India and China. One huge hint: Buddhism originated in India. As far as food goes, the Thai curries were borrowed (and vastly adapted) from India. Noodles, on the other hand, are a Chinese import. Again, vastly changed and in my opinion improved.

You might also try going through the Thai language with a view to word origins. Thai is full of admitted Sanskrit borrowings, but the Thai dictionary compilers seem more shy of annotating recent Indian imports from Hindi/Urdu...such as the Thai word for "rose" (the flower). They also seem a tiny bit reluctant to note that words such as "table" and "chair" are Chinese imports.

Nancie McDermott is not ignorant of such facts, "555." But you are.

Re: What is even weirder...

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Cate
    One huge hint: Buddhism originated in India.
    Really? I was almost certain that the Lord Buddha came from Nepal. Silly me.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
    " ... Meaning that I was on ignore until I wrote that certain something ... "
    Wrong. You were On Ignore because you are you. If that isn't the best reason, I'm a GoGo boy.

Cheers ...
    I was chatting with a guy tonight who was very indirectly fishing to learn why I liked his best friend very much -- as opposed to him. He shyly suggested that his friend "had a great body," and a "really cute, boyish face." I didn't say anything, but my mind was thinking:

"It's because I really don't like you. You smile all the time, and are always happy, and never shy. In fact, you are in my opinion a little better-looking than the friend we are talking about. But you don't get friendship, dude. You're a bullshit boy. You're a user. And...your friend...I can't really say this....is a million times better in bed. I feel really comfortable around him, just about all the time."

My former BF has the same opinion: this boy is superbly handsome, but...."I don't like his personality."

And there you are!

"555" knows jack-shit about Nancie McDermott or her cookbook
    You got that right. Nor care less. But I do know where Hainan is. (Hainin is another matter.) I also know that Hainanese chicken rice is a famous delicacy perfected by emigrants from Hainan spread throughout South East Asia not invented by some cookbook writer.

Does she really spell her name Nancie?

Liked

Re: What is even weirder...

[quote=Chao Na]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Henry Cate":152tq7ei
    One huge hint: Buddhism originated in India.
    Really? I was almost certain that the Lord Buddha came from Nepal. Silly me.[/quote:152tq7ei]

The piece of what is called "Ancient India" where he was born is now part of Nepal, so you're both right.

dboy

You got that right. Nor care less. But I do know where Hainan is. (Hainin is another matter.) I also know that Hainanese chicken rice is a famous delicacy perfected by emigrants from Hainan spread throughout South East Asia not invented by some cookbook writer.

Is Hainin anywhere near Hainan? I can't find it in my atlas.

Digging deeper

You have moved from the idiotic claim that Nancie McDermott does not know where Hainan is, to the even more idiotic claim that she thinks she INVENTED this recipe.

Since you admittedly don't know jack-shit about her, or her book, why do you keep misfiring on the subject? But, just in case you are reading this post, her book, Real Thai may well be the best Thai cookbook ever written:

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Thai-Thai.../dp/0811800172

She doesn't claim that any of her recipes are "original." She simply tries to tell you how to cook this food at home.

As to the spelling of her name, you'll have to discuss that with her. At least she uses letters of the English alphabet, unlike some members of this exalted discussion group...

Liked

Nancy Boys

Just like a bunch of Nancy boys to have a tizzy over a cookbook.
    Life is sexually transmitted and terminal.

Despite your aggressive and insulting bluff and bluster, I will attempt to explain this in very simple terms so that even you might have a slim chance of catching my point.

You cite a publication titled "Real Thai". The item you refer to is Hainan Chicken. Hainan is an island off the southern coast of China from which many Chinese emigrated to South East Asia. It follows logically that the author, through using the words "Real Thai", is deluded as to the position of this island or who the Thai are or that her ontology is "exotic".

If by your charge of "ignorant" you mean that I am not well-read in recipe books, I plead guilty, but I do have a passion for authentic traditional cuisines which has perhaps made me cynical of the writers of recipes.

I've looked up your "Nancie" with Google and am convinced I was eating Hainanese Chicken Rice before she was born.

Have a nice day.