Quote Originally Posted by Homesick
Now is a bad time to buy property almost everywhere. As stickman suggests, extra care is needed when buying condos in Thailand anytime, but if you buy into a good development at the right time it can be a good investment. Also, most people are unwilling to spend money improving a rental property, so it will never be quite how you want it. That will be an important issue for some (though a minor issue for others). For resale, as stickman suggests, you are largely dependant on other foreigners. Best bet is to buy second hand yourself. But always buy in your own name, not in the name of a Thai company. That, whatever the vendor/estate agent says, is an extra risk you don't need.

All that said, if I were getting 9% interest and paying 10% tax on it, I'd probably leave my money where it was too. Where does Stickman come from to get that rate - not Zimbabwe, I hope?
You can get 8% on a term deposit in Australia and the Aussie dollar has risen against the baht. I bought four years ago, a small building run very well by a farang owner resident but he is right about the fees they are hard to collect.