Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America's gone crazy

America's gone crazy

LONDON (AFP) - Military chiefs are to meet with an animal rights group on Tuesday to discuss alternatives to the traditional bearskin hats famously worn by the guards at Buckingham Palace.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) are to hald talks with Ministry of Defence (MoD) officials to put forward what they say are ethical alternatives to the 18-inch (46-centimetre) tall fur hats worn by army guards.

Peta has previously discussed fake fur alternatives with the MoD but military bosses were unimpressed by the prototypes.

Now Peta has come up with an alternative shape, but insists its design could be as famous as the traditional hats.

"We can still have very regal-looking guards who look fantastic," said Peta's Europe director Robbie LeBlanc.

"We felt doing this kind of thing was a way of keeping with the times and keeping that iconic status."

He said activists had talked to tourists outside Buckingham Palace, Queen Elizabeth II's official residence in London, and most did not know the hats were made using fur from Canadian black bears.

"Most people think it's fake fur and when they find out it's real and it takes one bear to make a hat, they are appalled," he said.

"Fur farming has been outlawed in Britain but we are paying other people with taxpayers' money.

"We think we are a modern nation but the queen's guards are walking round with an entire dead bear on their heads."

The hats were first worn by British soldiers following the defeat of the French Imperial Guards in the 1815 Battle of Waterloo.

The French grenadiers wore them to appear taller and more intimidating and British guards adopted the hats for ceremonial duties as a mark of their victory.

Between 50 and 100 new hats are needed each year. The MoD has spent more than 321,000 pounds on bearskins in the past five years.

LeBlanc and other Peta representatives are to meet Baroness Ann Taylor, the minister for defence procurement.

"The MoD is not opposed to the use of synthetic materials as an alternative to bearskins, provided such materials meet the requirement for a high quality product that performs adequately in all weather conditions," a ministry spokeswoman said.

"Regrettably, a suitable alternative continues to prove elusive.

"Baroness Taylor will be meeting representatives from Peta this week.

"This is a private meeting and it would be inappropriate to speculate on what will be discussed," she added.
    Not to mention the rights of asparagus.

Where does America fit into it? Yes, PETA was founded in the US. But this matter originates from PETA's UK organization, and was initiated by the UK actor Ricky Gervais. It is a purely British matter.

Liked
    I agree the American catch enough shit, pour it whre it belongs.

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    I agree the American catch enough shit, pour it whre it belongs.

Wes
    I thought this was a compliment. Oh well give full credit to PETA UK then if you insist, least they don't have a pair of silicon breasts as figure head.

Nobody takes PETA seriously even here in San Francisco. They protest outside of (fur coat seller) Nieman Marcus every Christams season and people pay as much attention to them as the Salvation Army Santas.

Quote Originally Posted by kenc
    Nobody takes PETA seriously even here in San Francisco. They protest outside of (fur coat seller) Nieman Marcus every Christams season and people pay as much attention to them as the Salvation Army Santas.
    Erm could that be because everyone there is from the looney fringe anyway and quite sensibly:blackeye: wouldn't be seen dead in an animal corpse.

KenC are you living in San Francisco? Are you happy there? What's it like these days? Where about do you live, is the weather good at the moment? Sorry for all the questions but I suddenly see you there, in the bright sun light and it seems lovely somehow. Have you always lived there? I love the smell of the ocean there it has a very special smell, delicious like salty anchovies, probably sea lion faecal matter but still its wonderful.

That beach just after that reddish bridge going towards LA is it still there? Hmmm I ate some twinkie's there, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by prattman
    execerised :bounce:
    :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    .... could that be because everyone there is from the looney fringe anyway and quite sensibly:blackeye: wouldn't be seen dead in an animal corpse. .
    No, not everyone here is from the Looney Fridge. Take me for example. :geek:

.... KenC are you living in San Francisco? Are you happy there? What's it like these days? Where about do you live, is the weather good at the moment? Sorry for all the questions but I suddenly see you there, in the bright sun light and it seems lovely somehow. .....
    Ah yes, it is lovely right now. The summer fog has finally broken and we're entering our nice warm Indian Summer that will last into mid-October at least. We are Ground Zero for Gay Marriage in California and there's a steady stream of couples tying the knot at City Hall. The catering industry is booming, as well as the Flower Mart, the Marriage Planners, the Invitation Writers and anything else connected with the new Gay Marriage Industry. The town is flooded with European tourists spending boodles of money and Real Estate prices are still rising. To top it all off we just elected Saint Obama President of the United States and Emperor of the Universe for Life.
    Yes, life don't get much better than this..... :hippy2:

.... I love the smell of the ocean there it has a very special smell, delicious like salty anchovies, probably sea lion faecal matter but still its wonderful......
    Got it in one! :cheers:

.... That beach just after that reddish bridge going towards LA is it still there? ....
    Baker Beach is still there but they did a big trail upgrade and brush clearing that has severly impacted its use as a cruising spot. But fear not, you can still get some action in the bushes at the west end of Golden Gate Park by the windmill.

.... Hmmm I ate some twinkie's there, nice.
    Veerrry naughty Cedric.
    There will be a biopic of Harvey Milk, the murdered Gay supervisor, coming out in the fall with Sean Penn in the title role.
    Catch it if you can in HK

Baker Beach is still there but they did a big trail upgrade and brush clearing that has severly impacted its use as a cruising spot. But fear not, you can still get some action in the bushes at the west end of Golden Gate Park by the windmill.

Veerrry naughty Cedric.
    There will be a biopic of Harvey Milk, the murdered Gay supervisor, coming out in the fall with Sean Penn in the title role.
    Catch it if you can in HK
    I think you're confusing me with someone else. I meant cream filled twinkies, those soft delicious tarts you get at lonely road stops. It was lovely frolicking in the surf too. Until a very concerned gentleman waved me ashore and told me there were great white sharks out there and I should come up onto the beach immediately. Actually he never left me alone for five seconds think he wanted to adopt me, he kept telling me where he lived. Its a shame they obviously cant afford swimming briefs in that area of the city, he was completely naked except for his car keys.

Sean? That's a pity, Harvey looked so cute, Brad Pit (if he could act) might have been better. Anyway I cant wait.

So glad you're enjoying life in San Francisco, does Edith also still live there? There was a lovely park I spent time in, watching my friend playing junior baseball? Do you sit on those steps near those huge trees in the sun-shine watching life pass by, with a little packet of bird seed? What if that was you? I might have sat right next to you and ate a twinkie. You would've known I offered you one?

Just a little question

Erm could that be because everyone there is from the looney fringe anyway and quite sensibly:blackeye: wouldn't be seen dead in an animal corpse.

KenC are you living in San Francisco? Are you happy there? What's it like these days? Where about do you live, is the weather good at the moment? Sorry for all the questions but I suddenly see you there, in the bright sun light and it seems lovely somehow. Have you always lived there? I love the smell of the ocean there it has a very special smell, delicious like salty anchovies, probably sea lion faecal matter but still its wonderful.

That beach just after that reddish bridge going towards LA is it still there? Hmmm I ate some twinkie's there, nice.
    Well, Sir Baronet Cedric, do you support PETA or not??? Jes askin...

I mean, your reference to furs as "animal corpses" makes me think you have never seen an animal corpse. Furs are of course animal skins.

As for the frigging hats, I thought that question was settled years ago. Yes, they are made from bearskins. No, the bears are not endangered. In fact, they are so numerous that we have to shoot a number every year. The bearskins for the frigging hats come from the bear cull.

Of course, maybe you think that we should let the bears run free.

But not among your ponies!