Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McCain Picks Palin

McCain Picks Palin

I go to the Guardian UK for my news on Thailand, Dragon Castle for Pride news, and Fox (1st again?) for the US election. What is it coming to?

It's confirmed. Americans are going to have quite a choice to make this November 4.

elections.foxnews.com/2008/08/29/mccain-to-name-running-mate-on-friday/

Alaska Gov. Palin to be Named as McCain Running Mate
    by FOXNews.com
    Friday, August 29, 2008

DAYTON, Ohio тАУ John McCain will introduce Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential running mate at an event here at noon Friday, senior campaign sources confirmed to FOX News.

Palin emerged earlier in the day as the hot name in the VP sweepstakes after reports circulated that two short-listers тАФ Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty тАФ were out of the running.

Adding fuel to the Palin candidacy was a report that a charter aircraft from Anchorage owned by a McCain supporter had arrived at a small airport outside Dayton, Ohio, where McCain has scheduled a noon ET rally to announce his choice.

FOX News reported the jet flew to Flagstaff, Ariz., on Thursday before heading landing in Middletown, Ohio.

Palin is considered a rising star in the Republican Party. She is the stateтАЩs first female governor, the mother of five тАФ and at 44 is its youngest chief executive.

FOX News confirmed Thursday that McCain had made his selection and would appear with his pick at the Dayton rally.

Born in Idaho, Palin moved to Alaska with her parents, to Charles and Sally Heath, when she was 3 months old.

She grew up in Wasilla, just outside of Anchorage, and played on the Wasilla state championship girlsтАЩ basketball team. She was crowned Miss Wasilla in 1984 and was a runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant.

Palin studied journalism and political science at the University of Idaho and graduated in 1987. She eloped with her high school boyfriend, Todd Palin, in 1988 to save money on an expensive wedding. She helped out in her husbandтАЩs family commercial fishing business and appeared occasionally as a television sportscaster.

Palin won a seat on the Wasilla City Council in 1992 as a new face and a new voice, and by opposing tax increases. Four years later she was elected mayor at 32 by knocking off a three-term incumbent. At the end of her second term, party leaders encouraged her to enter the 2002 race for the Republican nomination for lieutenant governor. Against veteran legislators with far more experience, Palin finished second by fewer than 2,000 votes, making a name for herself in statewide politics. She was elected AlaskaтАЩs youngest and first woman governor in 2006.

Sarah and Todd Palin have five children: boys Track, 19, and Trig, 4 months, and daughters Bristol, 17, Willow, 13, and Piper, 7. Track Palin joined the Army last September and will deploy to Iraq on Sept. 11. Palin gave birth to Trig, who has Down syndrome, in April and returned to work three days later.

Palin will be the second female vice presidential candidate from a major political party. The first was New York Rep. Geraldine Ferrarro, who was Walter MondaleтАЩs Democratic running mate in 1984.

Earlier in the day, sources told FOX News that Romney was not going to be McCainтАЩs choice, even
    though the former Massachusetts governor is scheduled to appear at the
    Dayton rally.

And Pawlenty told a Minneapolis radio station that he was not going to be in Dayton for the McCain announcement.

тАЬIтАЩm going to be at the [Minnesota] state fair,тАЭ Pawlenty said on WCCO.

тАЬI will not be in Dayton, Ohio, so I think thatтАЩs a fair
    assumption,тАЭ the Minnesota governor said when asked if this was an
    indication that he would not be McCainтАЩs running mate.

тАЬIt was an honor to be considered,тАЭ he added.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who like Romney was a rival to
    McCain in the primaries, sent an e-mail to supporters on Thursday
    evening saying he would not be at the rally. Sources later told FOX
    News that Huckabee was not in the running.

Re: McCain Picks Palin

Quote Originally Posted by Ponbkk
    Alaska Gov. Palin to be Named as McCain Running Mate
    At least we know who the next two Presidents of the US will be - McCain won't survive his first term; he's too old (I speak as a contemporary). Being US President is a younger man's job

Liked

be afraid, be very afraid

If Snow White gets to be president, then all those messianic plans of the Christian right may come to fruition. She is a fundamentalist pro-life.

Talk about a clear choice for this upcoming election.

Liked

Smart

Give McCain some credit. This is a very smart choice for several really good reasons. He is still going to lose, but the choice was smart.

When I first saw the title of your thread Ponbkk, I thought you meant Michael. That said, having heard her, Sarah that is, talk on TV last night, you have to agree with me that she does sound a little like Michael, when he was using one of his funny Python voices. McCain may just as well have chosen Michael as far as I am concerned, as he would have been a much better running mate, would have been more qualified and has a higher academic background than the other Palin.

I believe it was desperation tactics on McCain's part in making the selection that he did and one, that will loose him a lot of credibility, well for the people that believe he had some in the first place that is. For the two of them between them, McCain and Palin, along with their evil publicity machine, to genuinely believe for one minute, that they will pick up Hillary's 18 million voters, is nothing more than an illusion and pure fantasy on their part.

What a great choice for Vice President, if McCain should win the election and something happens to him whilst he is serving his first term, which would undoubtedly be the only one he would be likely to serve anyways. His choice as his running mate, goes a long way to showing I hope, how good his judgment really is. Let's take a closer look at this selection, McCain was 72 yesterday and if he did win the election and were to die before the end of his term, take a good look at who he has chosen for his fellow Americans, if such an event should happen, to take over from him as their Commander in Chief. May Buddha save us all from that fate being bestowed upon us, even if McCain hasn't. P e r l e a s e. Am I being unfair to Snow White? I know that the honest ones among you, will know that I am not.

Personally and thankfully, I don't think anyone need to worry their heads about any of the above, as from where I am viewing all of this, apart from the fact that we all know that Presidential elections are won as a result of who is standing for President, not who is standing for Vice President, the only thing that I can see stopping Obama from being sworn in on inauguration day on Jan 4th next year and taking up residence in the White House, after first fumigating it of course; is a snipers bullet.

Unfortunately, that is something that sadly; no one could make a bet with total confidence, if they are honest with themselves that is, against happening. Well, could they? Lets hope that the dream, a dream that I know a lot of people in the States are sharing at this time, doesn't end in the same way, as the one of that great man, that had the most famous dream of all, 45 years ago to the day yesterday.

For the sake of the US of A, as well as the rest of the free world, that is something we should all pray doesn't happen, because there is something about Obama and what fate has thrown in his path, that has given me a belief and I know a lot of people the world over are sharing that belief, that Obama really will make a difference to America. Thanks to the worst President in the US of A's history, Obama would have the enourmous task as one of his very first duties, of attempting to restore the way the country and it's people are looked on by the rest of the world, to the same favourable way it was looked upon in the past. I believe that not only is Obama capable of succeeding in that task, but more capable of succeeding than anyone else.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Bill Clinton and who has and who hasn't, smoked his cigar; he is arguably the best orator America has had as it's President, as well as being one that was enourmously popular with his people. The thing that stuck in my mind the most from his speech at Wednesday's Democratic Convention, was when he said: "People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power".

I believe Obama will set those examples again given the chance to do so. I also believe he could well be remembered in history, as a man that was much more than just the first black man to win his party's nomination, as their Presidential candidate. Surely the American people will not fuck up in a way they have never done before in their entire history and as they did when they put Georgie junior in the White House not once, but twice, by electing McCain to take his place............ Will they?

As much as I believe McCain to be a good man at heart and one that is without doubt patriotic, he is not going to deliver anything in the next four years, that is a whole lot different from what Americans have suffered and let's be fair, they haven't been the only ones to suffer, than what has been delivered up to them all, during the past eight years.

Hopefully every American will be as aware as I am, that McCain voted in the Senate with and, in support of Bush's policies during his two presidential terms, in those eight long years, and did so in over 90 per cent of his votes. I hope that statistic frightens every American as much as it does me, because at the end of the day, whether Obama gets the chance to restore America's standing in the world and really give it the change it so badly needs, is down to everyone of it's citizens and, those citizens alone.

I wish him every bit of Choc Dee in the world in accomplishing this, because as well as being an optimist, I am also very much a realist and am well aware, believe me; that Obama will need every bit of that Choc Dee that comes his way.

And Now it's over to Bill for the weather.

George.

Liked

Re: Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose
    Give McCain some credit. This is a very smart choice for several really good reasons. He is still going to lose, but the choice was smart.
    You're kidding, right? It's an insane choice. An article on the Guardian website gives a good summary of the case against. I'm sure there'll be many others.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... 2008.palin
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Quote Originally Posted by PeterUK
    An article on the Guardian website gives a good summary of the case against.
    Sadly most Americans don't read the Grauniad - it's in a foreign language (English)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterUK
    An article on the Guardian website gives a good summary of the case against.
    Sadly most Americans don't read the Grauniad - it's in a foreign language (English)
    Actually a friend of mine writes for that paper, but the NYT is a better read. Obama's #1 campaign theme is about change. McCain just took some of that thunder away from him by bringing in someone completely new to the political scene, and a women. Yes, all the papers know about that little scandel with the ex of her sister (Yawn). Did you know she upset an incumbent Republican governor, and she cleaned up much of Alaska's corruption. She can communicate extremely well with working class people and her views are 100% conservative right wing. McCain cannot win without the 100% support of this group, and she can guarentee that. I repeat, she is a smart choice.

Question, does anyone from Merry Old ever read or quote the London Times?

Grauniad - it's in a foreign language (English)
    That's a generous assertion.

A better read if you like lies

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose
    Actually a friend of mine writes for that paper, but the NYT is a better read.
    As far as I know, the New York Times is the only newspaper ever to inspire an almost-monthly magazine (├втВм┼УLies of Our Times├втВм