Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asian values & the Olympics

Asian values & the Olympics

If anyone doubted that in Asian form matters far, far more than substance (all part of the obsession with "face"), you need look no further than the news stories now coming out about the Olympics opening ceremony. Apparently the girl who sang at the opening ceremony ... didn't. She was the beautiful one, but she lip-synched (just like a drag show). The one whose voice was used - well, she wasn't beautiful enough. And the fireworks. What the punters saw on television didn't happen. Well, it happened, but not then and not as it was presented. But don't you worry, it looked good, and that's all that matters. And are these news stories in China? They would be if they'd happened in Sydney or Athens but no, they're censored in China. Not helpful, apparently. So when leaders like Mad Mahathir and their thoughtless parrots like Dek Wat and Chao Na tell you about the Asian century that's coming, you know what to expect. Be very afraid

Re: Asian values & the Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    So when leaders like Mad Mahathir and their thoughtless parrots
    Yet, as you say, there is much to be praised about Malaysia.

It must have been a show worthy of great praise from the man in the mao-soleum not far from the stadium.

I missed the opening as well as ANYTHING else of the ongoing olympics as they have been on my {IGNORE} list since the morning of July 4th when GWB announced he would attend the opening ceremonies. I don't think it's just asians who should fear.

I guess he got his picture taken! Thumbs up? on that bikini butt (see attached). Disgraceful? All that way for that, huh?

Liked
    It has also long been claimed that the Olympics were sold out of seats. TV is now clearly showing that to be a lie and we see acknowledged Chinese rent-a-crowds filling those empty places. Presumably it would, again, have meant a huge loss of face to have admitted that people weren't lining up to visit China...
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

GWB

Is GWB the only one in the world that should be on iggy, Gosh look at what Putin did after he left the Olympics to finish off the Georgians under cover of the Olympic shadow. But I guess he is okay in your book.

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius
    It has also long been claimed that the Olympics were sold out of seats. TV is now clearly showing that to be a lie and we see acknowledged Chinese rent-a-crowds filling those empty places. Presumably it would, again, have meant a huge loss of face to have admitted that people weren't lining up to visit China...
    ...and it was reported that these "paid fans" were cheering for teams playing against the USA. China makes "fake" products including watches down to medicine... they even do it in the Olympics.

BUT I AM GLAD THE OLYMPICS WAS HELD IN CHINA...ALL THE FOREIGNERS VISITING HAVE ADMITTED WHAT GREAT HOSTS THE CHINESE HAVE BEEN. ISN'T THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS OLYMPICS, TO REALIZE THAT THE CHINESE PEOPLE, NOT GOVERNMENT, ARE LIKE YOU AND ME?

Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill
    ISN'T THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS OLYMPICS, TO REALIZE THAT THE CHINESE PEOPLE, NOT GOVERNMENT, ARE LIKE YOU AND ME?
    Speak for yourself. I don't pick my nose in public or hawk loogies on the street.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
    Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill
    ISN'T THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS OLYMPICS, TO REALIZE THAT THE CHINESE PEOPLE, NOT GOVERNMENT, ARE LIKE YOU AND ME?
    Speak for yourself. I don't pick my nose in public or hawk loogies on the street.

lol...true, VERY TRUE :bom:

But wait, there's more

Stories about the fakes at the opening ceremony continue to arrive. Apparently all those kids from the various regions/races in their various "ethnic" costumes were all Han Chinese kids just dressing up

Liked

Re: But wait, there's more

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Stories about the fakes at the opening ceremony continue to arrive. Apparently all those kids from the various regions/races in their various "ethnic" costumes were all Han Chinese kids just dressing up
    All Olympics have some element of fakery about them, e.g., if you look at the video of the opening of the Barcelone Olympics, you can see where the arrow shot by one of Spain's most famous archers missed the bowl containing the Olympic flame, which lit anyway. At the Turin Winter Olympics, Luciano Pavarotti lip-synched too.