Although on my recent visit to Thailand i travelled around... i did set up a base in Pattaya for 19 days.

I arrived from Bkk with no reserved accommodation for the first time ever... because i was not certain of staying at my friends home in Khon Kaen and Petchabun and for how long and it is low season and so i didn't expect to have a problem if i required a hotel or guesthouse stay.

I called Baan Dok Mai on my way from Bkk and they had a large room available. I stayed there for 2 days at first while i looked around... i usually stay at Flamingo.. which i really like.. but there were going to be some days i would not be staying in the accommodation and wanted to keep a room with my belongings while i went away for a night or two elsewhere........ so i looked for an apartment which was a combination of nice and large but reasonable price.. which i found in Mosaik Apartments day/night 2 across from Flamingo.

Bann Dok Mai is a very nice and reasonably priced place to stay. I extended my first two days with another two while i waited for my Mosiak room to become vacant. The owners were very accommodating.. nothing was too much trouble.. the room itself was nice and large with two balconies one overlooking the main soi and one the side soi. The bathroom was fine.. all the fittings in the room were new.. tv had also dvd player which was good. tea/coffee available in the room.. a room safe.... nice tiled floor and all for only Bt850 per night.

Mosaik was ideal for me. At flamingo i usually have a suite..which is two rooms.. one for sleeping and a lounge area. Mosaik apartment was more luxurious with very large bedroom with nice bathroom off..and very large living area with very comfortable sofas ...kitchen area [i never cook.. but it is somewhere to lay out any bought-in food]...table and chairs for dining.. room safe.. nice balcony overlooking soi 2 DayNight..

I like the convenience of coming and going without having to go to a reception every time.. i had two keys so my friend and i could come and go at any time.. the front door key also fits the room door and is small so no problem for carrying around.

I only had to buy a small kettle for a couple of hundred baht and a table fan as there was only aircon[two units] and the fan can be used on the balcony as there are electric points there which is great as it was very warm/humid..the fan was only Bt399 and my friend will use it in his home when i go home.

I really couldn't find any negatives about mosaik.. the warnings i had seen about the sky-high electricity and water charges seemed unfounded in my opinion.
I checked the meter readings at the start and end of my stay with the receptionist.. for 15 nights with aircon running alot it was Bt1400 and the water Bt127.
The cost for the 2 room Luxury apartment with front facing balcony was Bt12,000 for 15 nights [+Bt5000 deposit from which i got Bt2400 returned].

I had the apartment cleaned by Mosaik only 3 -4 times as it was easily kept with the lovely tiled floors... even when i'm in the flamingo i dont have the room cleaned every day... sometimes i just like a laze about if it has been a late night previous and if i have company it is great just to ly about in underwear and tshirt sometimes, watch a movie, listen to music, karaoke vcd and get to know your friend better.

Both Baan Dok Mai and Mosaik do not have reception to keep id cards... no problem for me as i know most of my visitors from previous visits and i dont take boys in the 'questionable age bracket'... but if you take younger looking boys there is no double check for ids so you would have to be careful.

And to anyone who reads this and likes younger boys and thinks because you have your own key it is easy to come and go with any age of boy.. i would urge anyone not to try it at Mosaik.. there are security going about all the time as well as many other guests and it is a busy area with Tukcom on the doorstep so there will always be someone who would see you come and go as well as straight guests who seem to be even more nosy than gay guests.

If you are into that kind of thing stick to sunee...at least everyone knows the score there... and it saves those of us who do not like to be tarred with the same brush worrying about association because we stay in the same accommodation... that is why i prefer to stay outside the sunee area.

I would definitely recommend both Mosaik and Baan Dok Mai.