Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Having the blues, my love went home again :(

Quote Originally Posted by sjaak327
    Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
    Kind of puts all the griping about Thai immigration requirements for farangs in perspective, don't ya think?
    At first sight, yes, but looking a little bit further, once you have obtained provisional stay, you can work (without workpermit, and no restricted occupations), you can own land, you can even vote (for instance for the city council).

So even though the initial hurdle is much bigger, once you're in, you are treated as a proper citizen.
    Get real! A farang can come to Thailand without any qualifications whatsoever, and stay forever as a visa runner without any qualifications whatsoever.

"Once they've obtained provisional stay"....don't make me laugh. It's hard enough for a Thai just to get to most Western countries as a simple tourist. The hurdles they must jump to be able to stay there permanently are extremely daunting.

How many farangs do you know who would be able to pass a Thai equivalent (in Thai, of course) of the test that Thais must take to obtain permission for provisional stay? Don't make me laugh.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
    Get real! A farang can come to Thailand without any qualifications whatsoever, and stay forever as a visa runner without any qualifications whatsoever.

"Once they've obtained provisional stay"....don't make me laugh. It's hard enough for a Thai just to get to most Western countries as a simple tourist. The hurdles they must jump to be able to stay there permanently are extremely daunting.

How many farangs do you know who would be able to pass a Thai equivalent (in Thai, of course) of the test that Thais must take to obtain permission for provisional stay? Don't make me laugh.
    Not many I would assume, but that's not my point, my point is ONCE they are on provisional stay, so AFTER they have jumped all the hurdles, they are treated like first grade citizens.

In Thailand, unless you obtain Thai citizenship, (only a few dozen people each year, manage this), you are still pretty much a vistor. Many occupations are limited to Thais only, you cannot legally own land (some loopholes not withstanding) and as far as I know, voting in any election is also not on the boards.

Re: you wat

Quote Originally Posted by donny-darko
    Oh you poor thing! i suggest you get of your butt and learn to cook then, is he your house boy? NO!! i see he's your boyfriend! So if its a relationship you should cook for him too or is that too low a job for you dude. I suppose you have him scrubing out the toilet and taking the garbage out then when hes done you might have him washing your smalls, oh and what are you doing meantime???? I would imagine laying on your sun lounger with a pims in one hand and a property news in the other.
    Isn't that why straight men get married? It's certainly why some of my poorer friends married (poor = couldn't afford a servant and a mistress)
    I've always assumed those in favour of gay marriage wanted the same model for homosexuals :idea:

I would consider you lucky to have your bf for 90 days. I have moved to Thailand to be with my bf, because he couldn't come the USA....not for even a plane change at LAX!! So, enjoy your 90 days!!

Quote Originally Posted by sjaak327
    Not many I would assume, but that's not my point, my point is ONCE they are on provisional stay, so AFTER they have jumped all the hurdles, they are treated like first grade citizens.
    You're absolutely right. I think Thai immigration should change its rules -- both for tourist visa, long-term stays, and naturalization -- to mirror the more advantageous ones you are talking about. I'm sure the farang population would be happy to jump those hurdles so that they could vote here, or work as an umbrella maker (one of the "restricted" professions, along with making alms bowls, knives, and hats). All this being able to stay in Thailand forever with no qualifications whatsoever is for the birds. We want the right to make umbrellas, dammit!

"You're absolutely right. I think Thai immigration should change its rules."

What were your qualifications when you moved to Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    "You're absolutely right. I think Thai immigration should change its rules."

What were your qualifications when you moved to Thailand?
    I'm not sure what it matters; I was being facetious, you see. Despite how easy it is for a farang to simply show up and stay unfettered in Thailand until the day he dies, sjaak laments the fact that he can never legally work as an umbrella maker, until he becomes a naturalized Thai -- those pointing out the fact that foreigners are always "second class" until naturalized.

If you really wish to know, though, I was initially brought here on a work contract.

"If you really wish to know, though, I was initially brought here on a work contract." So like me you were the classic ex-pat worker, the token white face to do the real work while the locals take all the credit?

Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    "If you really wish to know, though, I was initially brought here on a work contract." So like me you were the classic ex-pat worker, the token white face to do the real work while the locals take all the credit?
    I'm not sure I'd say that. I've always done as little work as I could get away with.

"I'm not sure I'd say that. I've always done as little work as I could get away with." So you cheated on your work contract?! Good on you!