Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Having the blues, my love went home again :(

Liked

Having the blues, my love went home again :(

Yeah, it sucks. My Lao boyfriend of 4 years, today went back to Bangkok. He has been with me again for 90 days (the 4th time since october 2006). Except for 8 days, which I had to spend abroad for work, we have been together for this somewhat extensive period (in fact, it's over before you know it).

Each time, he going home is something I dread. Especially when I come home to an empty house. Nobody to cook for me, no thai/lao music from sanook.com, nobody telling me to put the TV volume down, because the woman next door might complain, nobody to nag me about going to the local bar at 10 PM sharp. Just silence.

The immigration laws in the Netherlands are to blame for all of this. I know he can do an exam, which would enable us to get a provisional stay. Without him passing the exam, he cannot apply for provisional stay, and needs to apply for a tourist visa (90 days in NL, 90 days out and the cycle continues).

From the first time he came to visit me, he did learn Dutch, and this time around, he was offered a job (he isn't supposed to be working on a tourist visa, but we have taken this risk), and his Dutch improved beyond belief, apparently it's much better to be forced to use it in the flesh so to speak, as from a bunch of books. Anyway, it's bloody silent in my appartment, and while he is still in the air, no phone contact either. Of course in 7 weeks, I'll be going to Thailand (and Laos, Cambodia and maybe Malaysia this time), so we can be together again for 3 weeks, then it's anoter 3 weeks and he will be back in the Netherlands. Counting the days already.

Just a whinge from a silent appartment.

Know how you feel. My BF has just gone back to Thailand. Couldn't find him a job in UK, even as a cleaner. I probably just don't know the right places to look, but we'll have another go next year. In UK, you don't have to take the test until you apply for the indefinite visa after 2 years. The test here is just damned silly. I wouldn't pass without plenty of study first, nor would most of the native population. samples: how many members of the sScottish parliament are there? What was the population of Wales in 2005? What proportion of first time voters cast their vote in the 2001 general election? In what year did married women gain the right to divorce?

Kind of puts all the griping about Thai immigration requirements for farangs in perspective, don't ya think?

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    "Each time, he going home is something I dread. Especially when I come home to an empty house."

does he take the furniture with him ??

I'm serious-I had a friend in Tangier in Morocco who had to have every stick of furniture , stereo, TV etc. cemented in place as his Moroccon overnight visitors always left in the morning with a momento.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
    his Moroccon overnight visitors always left in the morning with a momento.
    Momento: a souvenir acquired on the spur of the moment. I like it.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    ROFL... "left with a momento"

The "test"

[quote="Homesick"In UK, you don't have to take the test until you apply for the indefinite visa after 2 years. [/quote]

Things seem to change constantly, but isn't the "test" you refer to for British citizenship rather than for a visa?

You have to take the test either to get citizenship or indefinite leave to remain. It is possible to get a second extension of stay visa without passing the test, but you would be expected to have tried and failed and be after more time to try again. Moreover, each visa cost 600 pounds (1,200 dollars), including the initial 3 month visa to come to the UK in the first place (plus another 150 pounds or so for an x-ray and medical). You also have to come to Bangkok twice (submission + interview) so there are tavel and accomodation costs as well. Getting indefinite leave to remain in UK will cost overall at least 2,500 pounds, maybe more.

you wat

" Nobody to cook for me,"

Oh you poor thing! i suggest you get of your butt and learn to cook then, is he your house boy? NO!! i see he's your boyfriend! So if its a relationship you should cook for him too or is that too low a job for you dude.
    I suppose you have him scrubing out the toilet and taking the garbage out then when hes done you might have him washing your smalls, oh and what are you doing meantime???? I would imagine laying on your sun lounger with a pims in one hand and a property news in the other. :albino: heheheheheheheheeh : :faroah:

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
    Kind of puts all the griping about Thai immigration requirements for farangs in perspective, don't ya think?
    At first sight, yes, but looking a little bit further, once you have obtained provisional stay, you can work (without workpermit, and no restricted occupations), you can own land, you can even vote (for instance for the city council).

So even though the initial hurdle is much bigger, once you're in, you are treated as a proper citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
    does he take the furniture with him ??
    LOL, that made my day, no he didn't, it's not an empty house in the strict sense, just more empty then before.

Quote Originally Posted by donny-darko
    Oh you poor thing! i suggest you get of your butt and learn to cook then, is he your house boy? NO!! i see he's your boyfriend! So if its a relationship you should cook for him too or is that too low a job for you dude.
    I suppose you have him scrubing out the toilet and taking the garbage out then when hes done you might have him washing your smalls, oh and what are you doing meantime???? I would imagine laying on your sun lounger with a pims in one hand and a property news in the other. heheheheheheheheeh :
    We do most things together, except cooking, as it's his profession not mine, I mean I suck at cooking, he doesn't. Some things you do together, and some things are left to the one that does them best. (I mean if there is a computer problem, I fix it, not my boyfriend, just to name a thing).

Luckily he has made me some kapow kung (three portions), put if in the freezer, so the only thing I need to do is cook the rice, which I'm sure I'll manage.