Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having the blues, my love went home again :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Having the blues, my love went home again :(

Yeah, it sucks. My Lao boyfriend of 4 years, today went back to Bangkok. He has been with me again for 90 days (the 4th time since october 2006). Except for 8 days, which I had to spend abroad for work, we have been together for this somewhat extensive period (in fact, it's over before you know it).

Each time, he going home is something I dread. Especially when I come home to an empty house. Nobody to cook for me, no thai/lao music from sanook.com, nobody telling me to put the TV volume down, because the woman next door might complain, nobody to nag me about going to the local bar at 10 PM sharp. Just silence.

The immigration laws in the Netherlands are to blame for all of this. I know he can do an exam, which would enable us to get a provisional stay. Without him passing the exam, he cannot apply for provisional stay, and needs to apply for a tourist visa (90 days in NL, 90 days out and the cycle continues).

From the first time he came to visit me, he did learn Dutch, and this time around, he was offered a job (he isn't supposed to be working on a tourist visa, but we have taken this risk), and his Dutch improved beyond belief, apparently it's much better to be forced to use it in the flesh so to speak, as from a bunch of books. Anyway, it's bloody silent in my appartment, and while he is still in the air, no phone contact either. Of course in 7 weeks, I'll be going to Thailand (and Laos, Cambodia and maybe Malaysia this time), so we can be together again for 3 weeks, then it's anoter 3 weeks and he will be back in the Netherlands. Counting the days already.

Just a whinge from a silent appartment.

Liked

Re: Having the blues, my love went home again :(

I met a lovely bloke from Laos in Thailand recently and plan on bringing him to Oz for a month. I've already sent $200 to cover the cost of the visa, but now he say's he needs $700 for the title deeds to his property or he won't be able to come.I don't mind paying this but is he taking the piss? Any help in getting a Laos national to Oz for a month would be gratefully recieved

Forum's veteran
    Liked

You do know that this OP ( just like the other one you posted about the other day too) was originally posted in 2008 right ?

Liked

Well, since the guy who obviously can't read, since he keeps asking the same question after receiving tons of helpful replies, I'll reply...

Yeah, I have to experience this every month for about a week, but I'm getting used to it now. My guy just went back to Laos on the 16th due to my persistence. He VISA didn't expire until the 20th, but he came into my room Friday morning, and I convinced him to go back that morning. Go back today, or go back in 4 days, you have to go back, so might as well go enjoy the weekend with your friends instead of hanging out with the boring blind guy.

After you're so used to being together, it sucks being alone. I don't eat, don't shower everyday, and just don't care as much. When together, I shower once or twice everyday, because when he hears the shower turn on, he always magically shows up in the shower with me, so that's always a nice incentive. Plus I'm always in the kitchen every night cooking up kickass dinners, because I love to cook, but it's no fun cooking for yourself.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Plus I'm always in the kitchen every night cooking up kickass dinners, because I love to cook, but it's no fun cooking for yourself.
    Good point. That made me realise how difficult it must be for blind people to cook. By feel?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: The course of true love...

Aarancam: What's going on? You've already got two threads (no, now it's 3, plus this one makes 4) running about how to bring your Lao boy to OZ and you've received every piece of advice available on this planet, but now you go to an eleven year old thread (and a 9 yr old thread) ....to ask how to bring him to your country

The only possible conclusion is that you are a troll of the most persistent variety, or severely intelligence-challenged, or suffering early-onset Alzheimer’s, or perhaps a combination of the three.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (June 22nd, 2017), Tintin (June 23rd, 2017)

Liked

Probably a combination of the last two. I searched Laos and got an old thread. I'm crazy in love though!

Liked

It's really not that bad. Again, just search Youtube for "masterchef Christine Ha", and you'll see. She's blind as a bat, and went on to win the whole competition.

Granted, at first it was a bit rough, and there was a 50/50 chance of the food ending up on plates, or being thrown against in the wall in pure frsutration. Just simple things like mincing garlic or chopping veggies takes some getting used to, but you don't really have a choice in the matter. Either you figure it out, or you settle for microwaveable 7/11 dinners every night.

Nowadays, I'm back to being a good cook again, and probably even better than I used to be. Obviously, I can feel the difference between an onion, potatoe, carrot, bell pepper, broccolli, etc... so that's no problem. There's only a couple real issues.

1.) Freezer has to be perfectly organized, because all those packages of meat are the same size, and once frozen, I can't feel the difference between what's what. Really, I can'Really, once frozen, I can't tell the difference between minced pork or chicken breasts.

2.) Sprices. Sale, pepper, chilli powder, and Montreal steak spice are all in unique bottles, so easy to feel those out. Red pepper flakes are in a small bag, so easy again. Soy sauce, oyster suace, fosh sauce, cooking oil, and dishwashing soap are all totally differently shaped bottles, so again, no problem.

However, for about the ~30 spices I have, they're all in the same size and shape of bottle, so aside from smell, I can't distinguish them. We tried to find a label printer that prints those little black strips with embossed letters, but couldn't find one here. So fuck it, I just go off smell when I'm alone, and bug the shit out of Leo when he's here. I just tell him what spices I need, then line them up in a row in alphabetical order, so I don't get them mixed up.

Aside from that, cooking is the same. Just use woks instead of frying pans, so you don't throw food all over the place. Eat out of bowls or tupperware containers instead of off places for the same reason, etc. No big deal.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Tintin (June 23rd, 2017)

Liked

LOL an 11 year old thread. You are in luck because about over a year ago I changed username, so I am in fact the original OP. But I have already given you advice, which you choose to ignore completely, so not going to repeat that advice. Fact is he can leave Laos without the land ownership document just fine. It is for you to figure out how to get him a visa to Australia.

Personally I would never dream of bringing a guy home after just meeting him for a few weeks. And if I read the original thread right a bar boy at that, something I would never consider.

This particular Lao guy went to Holland for the first time after a full two years of relationship, and several months spent together both in Thailand and Laos.

One year after this thread, he got his provisional visa, and six years later he obtained permanent European citizenship.

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (June 26th, 2017), francois (June 23rd, 2017)

Liked

There are a few tried and tested ways to get into Britain or to return to Britain; spend a few years fighting for ISIS and you'll get back in like the 400 before you did OR grow a beard, live in Calais for a while and let the SJWs convince everyone you're a child.