Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pattaya Police raid gay club Dudes for illegal opening

Liked

Pattaya Police raid gay club Dudes for illegal opening

The disturbing part of this report is the reported detention of those not carrying ID both Thai and farang

PATTAYA POLICE RAID GAY PUB FOR ILLEGAL OPENING
    On July 25,2008, Tourist police and regular police raided a gay pub in the middle of the city, which was open for entertainment out of business hours. Police found more than 200 customers in the pub. Many of them did not have I.D. cards and some tested positive for drug consumption.

On July 25, at 3 AM, Pol.Lt.Col. Suwan Un-anan, Pattaya Tourist Police Investigator, and Pol.Col.Nopadol Wongnom, Pattaya Superintendent, jointly led a 20-man team of tourist police and police volunteers in a raid on "Tawanchai Club", located at 43/40, Soi Bongkot, South Pattaya, after complaints that the place had been run as a gay pub, with many Thais and foreigners gathering for unlawful purposes and also which had been opening out of hours.

Police found the car park of the pub full of cars and motorbikes belonged to customers. There were more than 200 customers, both Thai and foreigners, drinking, dancing and watching sleazy shows on the stage. Police commanded the D.J. to stop the music and turned on the lights before demanding all customers show their I.D.cards and submit to a urine check for drugs. Police discovered the registered pub owner, Mrs. Achara Tamaput, (50), from Chonburi, was not present, so police detained the pub manager, charging him with being open over the time limit.

Police took about an hour to check the business licence on the premises, which has been open for more than 3 months and also conducted a search for illegal substances, including drugs, both on the persons and in the systems of customers. Police found more than 20 people, both Thai and foreigner customers not carrying I.D. cards and more than 10 people tested positive for drug use. Police arrested the pub manager for illegal opening and detained customers without I.D. cards or for consuming drugs. The offenders will be prosecuted, accordingly

cut and paste from http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownew ... 0000006708
    There are also some photos . It takes a while to load

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    Why is it a requirement to carry your passport whenever you're in a bar?... Why can you be detained for not having it on you?

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Why is it a requirement to carry your passport whenever you're in a bar?... Why can you be detained for not having it on you?
    Every embassy I have ever seen gives you a card to carry and advises you to never carry your passport. In fact my new passport came with a card for the embassy of your country to fill out for you. Some countries will give you a identification card. But I have heard it said your passport is worth more than you are and to never take it with you. If the police ask for it take them back to your home or hotel to prove you are there legally but never take it with you. Also some countries will take a Photo copy of your main page and the visa page. Likely you can get That from the hotel in which you stay. Also, most police I have ever met will accept a photo copy of the two pages. Surely they are no worse there than the Muslim counties in this regard.

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

The best thing to do is upon arrival go and have a photocopy ( they seem to accept the photocopies)made of the info page and the arrivval card and carry them. With the crackdown going on now it is best to have some ID with you. They are constantly looking for overstays of visa and undocumented foreigners. Very unusal to be even stopped but this is a whole new ball game so best be prepared.

I carry a shrunken lamented copy of my passport anytime I travel. I think that is only common sense to carry ID when ever you are away from home.

Go to any good copy place and have the picture/ID page of your passport shrunk to the size of a drivers license and laminated with clear plastic. Then carry it in your wallet as you would a drivers license. You will also need a copy of your visa which you can also carry in your wallet.

It is not an unreasonable requirement of any government to require visitors to carry ID. I think one should have ID at all times accident do happen and someone needs to be able to figure out who out who you are.

Am I the only one here getting deja vu? How many times has this topic been discussed?

Closing times

Been asked so many times before, so what is the official closing times these days? Anyone know?

Liked
    demanding all customers show their I.D.cards
    Technically, they didn't say "passport" was required. But some type of ID is. Depending on the BIB mood, they will either let you go or require that you provide proof that you aren't on overstay (stamp page of passport).

Thai drivers licenses SUPPOSEDLY will suffice this type of check.

However carring a laminated copy of Passport photo page *AND* a photocopy of the visa/stamp page (as one person posted) is really the best choice.

Other than the unusual EARLY-EVENING raid, foreigners ID rarely gets checked. It seem to always occur "after hours" -- which according to Thai reports -- is when the "drug users" are out in full force.

Anyone have any idea how many overstays there are in this country?

I know that in Australia there are hundreds.

The history of secret societies..

Quote Originally Posted by Dek Wat
    Anyone have any idea how many overstays there are in this country?

I know that in Australia there are hundreds.
    I am always amused by books which purport to tell me the history of secret societies. It's usually pretty hard because secret societies are (nudge, nudge) SECRET.

In the same way, I'm pretty damned sure that overstays don't go around announcing themselves, any more than those who arrive with phony passports.

But there must be....HUNDREDS!!! :-)