List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tough times down on the farm ...

Liked

Tough times down on the farm ...

This morning I received this email from Suphot. Since I've been away (going back in September) he has been going back and forth between Hua Hin, where we have a condo, and Surin, his home province and where he is taking a good part in the care of his very sick father . . . watching over him, taking care of the family fields and crops, puttering around here and there keeping the house up to good standard.

When he gets exhausted with this he comes back to Hua Hin and just sleeps for a few days, relaxes with some friends, takes it easy, clears his mind etc etc.
    But the world economic mess has affected Thai life to a great extent, especially way out there in hard scrabble rice country places like Surin, and Ubon, and Si Saket . . . places most folks on these boards rarely end up in for any length of time.
    Prices of farm and life staples are heading skywards, and of course ~ like in the west ~ the price of gasoline has increased quite harmfully. But income has stayed very much the same, and the great wide countryside of Thailand is feeling it badly.

Thought I'd share with you an email I received this morning. It illustrates (gently, as is his way) the angst created by high gas prices specifically. To underline the problem ... gas prices at 50 baht a litre in Thailand is a killer, for that is exactly the same price as here in Canada right now.

Given that the average wage (national) here at home is around $35,000 a year, you should be able to easily understand the problem taking into consideration the much lower average in Thailand. (I've quoted it in full in order to get the "feel" so you'll have to wade through the spelling and lack of commas and spaces. He's a`very good english speaker, but writing is very difficult for him ~ it takes him an hour of slogging to produce this length of letter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Suphot
    Dear my David
    Thank you so much for all email hope every think okey wiht your Morther and your Father I pay a bill for electric and water every thing okey I not take your Madonna to surin and gasoline go up in Country side 50 Baht a litter in Prasat (Surin) 43.85 Baht a litter and here 43.24 baht a litter so get big promdlem now higt payment income same be for every thing go up price.very hand living so here Hua Hin not so much tourist. well I was a box by air mail I a bag for your sister and the Birht day card for your MaMa so I hope not lost a way okey sweet heart I so hungry but can not have a xespensipe food so just pad krapuokig that enup but I will buy phone card put on your phone call but can use untill September do dot worry okey I will write a gain to morow
    Take care
    100 hiss
    love Suphot
    Certainly price increases in general have hit us hard here in the west as well (like Thailand, especially in gas prices) ... but our 'fallback' system has greater strength: we have greater savings, far greater incomes, big expensive homes, decent pensions, toys to sell, investment portfolios etc etc. On the farm, in Thailand, that is mostly not the case.
    It's going to be a very difficult slog for the majority of Thai folks as long as these types of costs continue, and the cost/income ratio stays as it is. Certainly relief doesn't seem to be in sight.

Cheers ...

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

thanks

Thanks Smiles for reminding us about the tough life of rural Thailand right now.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Tough times down on the farm ...

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    He's a very good english speaker, but writing is very difficult for him ~ it takes him an hour of slogging to produce this length of letter.
    If I cheat and peek I could maybe write three words in Thai. Anyone who doesn't appreciate someone who makes this much effort to write in English can get stuffed, in my opinion; it must be one of the worst current languages to learn to read, speak or write, and by my observations earlier this year Pot seemed to be managing all three. Many of my friends there struggle with English and I both respect and admire their efforts.

Finances and living expenses are indeed much more of a challenge now for the people in the outlying areas of Thailand. The price of rice alone is hurting a lot of people and there just doesn't seem to be any real relief in sight.

Luckily Suphot's a resourceful, hard-working man and will do fine holding down the two "family" forts until you return.

Re: Tough times down on the farm ...

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    It's going to be a very difficult slog for the majority of Thai folks as long as these types of costs continue, and the cost/income ratio stays as it is. Certainly relief doesn't seem to be in sight.

Cheers ...
    They will fall back onto the usual ... sending their sons and daughters to the city to sell themselves to the highest bidder.
    Supply and Demand ... will the short time price reduce?

Not just on farms

Coincidentally, my Thai friend was talking to one of the food cart owners that comes by the house. The cart man was complaining that his profit is down about 50%. I was told he said that he use to make a profit of about 800 baht a day. He is now making only 400 baht a day. He was complaining that business is very slow.

He sells hot dogs, and beef on a stick type of food. He sells it for only 10 baht a piece. Most all of his sales are to Thais. The price seems cheap to me but apparently a lot of Thais are hurting financially and are cutting back even on cheap food here in Pattaya. The cart seller said that if he raises his price, no one will buy from him.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Not just on farms

Quote Originally Posted by Pattaya Male
    Coincidentally, my Thai friend was talking to one of the food cart owners that comes by the house. The cart man was complaining that his profit is down about 50%. I was told he said that he use to make a profit of about 800 baht a day. He is now making only 400 baht a day. He was complaining that business is very slow.

He sells hot dogs, and beef on a stick type of food. He sells it for only 10 baht a piece. Most all of his sales are to Thais. The price seems cheap to me but apparently a lot of Thais are hurting financially and are cutting back even on cheap food here in Pattaya. The cart seller said that if he raises his price, no one will buy from him.

mmmm- makes me sometimes wonder what kind of local "meat" is in those "sausages." (There's plenty of stray dogs a vendor could gather up along the beaches and economically make them into "hotdogs".

Liked
    Certainly price increases in general have hit us hard here in the west as well (like Thailand, especially in gas prices) ... but our 'fallback' system has greater strength: we have greater savings, far greater incomes, big expensive homes, decent pensions, toys to sell, investment portfolios etc etc. On the farm, in Thailand, that is mostly not the case.

Cheers ...
    Speak for yourself.
    Cunt Pride!

and gasoline go up in Country side 50 Baht a litter in Prasat (Surin) 43.85 Baht a litter and here 43.24 baht a litter so get big
    Must go up more, to many Waco's drive on there streets .

gas prices at 50 baht a litre in Thailand is a killer, for that is exactly the same price as here in Canada right now.
    In Belgium 85 bath and i drive a Jeep and still smoke cigarettes hi hi hi, so whats the problem ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by baziel

In Belgium 85 bath and i still smoke cigarettes hi hi hi, so whats the problem ?
    Same price in the UK for fuel but my ciggies are collected on my 2 trips to Spain each year = half price