This morning I received this email from Suphot. Since I've been away (going back in September) he has been going back and forth between Hua Hin, where we have a condo, and Surin, his home province and where he is taking a good part in the care of his very sick father . . . watching over him, taking care of the family fields and crops, puttering around here and there keeping the house up to good standard.

When he gets exhausted with this he comes back to Hua Hin and just sleeps for a few days, relaxes with some friends, takes it easy, clears his mind etc etc.
But the world economic mess has affected Thai life to a great extent, especially way out there in hard scrabble rice country places like Surin, and Ubon, and Si Saket . . . places most folks on these boards rarely end up in for any length of time.
Prices of farm and life staples are heading skywards, and of course ~ like in the west ~ the price of gasoline has increased quite harmfully. But income has stayed very much the same, and the great wide countryside of Thailand is feeling it badly.

Thought I'd share with you an email I received this morning. It illustrates (gently, as is his way) the angst created by high gas prices specifically. To underline the problem ... gas prices at 50 baht a litre in Thailand is a killer, for that is exactly the same price as here in Canada right now.

Given that the average wage (national) here at home is around $35,000 a year, you should be able to easily understand the problem taking into consideration the much lower average in Thailand. (I've quoted it in full in order to get the "feel" so you'll have to wade through the spelling and lack of commas and spaces. He's a`very good english speaker, but writing is very difficult for him ~ it takes him an hour of slogging to produce this length of letter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Suphot
Dear my David
Thank you so much for all email hope every think okey wiht your Morther and your Father I pay a bill for electric and water every thing okey I not take your Madonna to surin and gasoline go up in Country side 50 Baht a litter in Prasat (Surin) 43.85 Baht a litter and here 43.24 baht a litter so get big promdlem now higt payment income same be for every thing go up price.very hand living so here Hua Hin not so much tourist. well I was a box by air mail I a bag for your sister and the Birht day card for your MaMa so I hope not lost a way okey sweet heart I so hungry but can not have a xespensipe food so just pad krapuokig that enup but I will buy phone card put on your phone call but can use untill September do dot worry okey I will write a gain to morow
Take care
100 hiss
love Suphot
Certainly price increases in general have hit us hard here in the west as well (like Thailand, especially in gas prices) ... but our 'fallback' system has greater strength: we have greater savings, far greater incomes, big expensive homes, decent pensions, toys to sell, investment portfolios etc etc. On the farm, in Thailand, that is mostly not the case.
It's going to be a very difficult slog for the majority of Thai folks as long as these types of costs continue, and the cost/income ratio stays as it is. Certainly relief doesn't seem to be in sight.

Cheers ...