Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: gps update

Forum's veteran
    Liked

gps update

finding myself always totally lost in Bangkok and at the mercy of communicating with taxis and such,
    what are the best gps direction devices with uploadable maps for bangkok and it's attractions?

Liked
    Unless you're going to drive in Bangkok (if so, you gotta be nuts), why would you need a GPS device? Just tell the taxi driver, motosy driver, and/or tuk tuk driver where you want to go!

Liked

Garmin StreetPilot GPS Unit

Quote Originally Posted by dab69
    finding myself always totally lost in Bangkok and at the mercy of communicating with taxis and such,
    what are the best gps direction devices with uploadable maps for bangkok and it's attractions?
    I had similar problems when I was in Thailand last year. I was always getting lost driving the motorbike. This year I decided to buy and use the Garmin StreetPilot C580. On the Garmin website I was able to buy the SD card with the maps of Thailand on it. It worked quite well for me. For the first time I was able to explore more of Thailand on my own without the fear of getting lost when returning to my apartment in BKK and Pattaya.

I am sure there are other devices out there that may be less expensive or works better with motorbikes (mine sat comfortably in the cup holder) but make sure you are able to upload the maps for Thailand or other destinations you desire to the device before buying one.

Feel free to private me if you want more detailed information on my experience with using GPS devices in Thailand.
    Keep your Twinkie in the wrapper or your cream may cause trouble.

There is a Garmin GPS dealer in Bangkok -- has several models, which come equipped with the Thailand map. If traveling elsewhere or you already have a Garmin GPS unit, they have maps that can be added (USA, Thailand etc.).

Art, from Gadgetrend, demonstrated the units at a workshop sponsored by the Pattaya City Expats Club -- Thailand map is very good and comprehensive -- since addresses are almost useless in Thailand to locate something, the Thailand map comes with a few hundred thousand "points of interest" - (banks, tourist sites, temples, etc.) - so, if you don't know location, but do know of a bank, wat, etc. that is near the location, you can use the unit to get to that point.

I didn't buy one from them since I was going to USA and could get the unit I wanted for about one half the price -- now, I just need to go to Bangkok and get the Thailand map added (about 8,000 Baht, I think). Their website gadgetrend