Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: News of the World

How about both?

Frpm Wiki

The News of the World is a British tabloid newspaper published every Sunday. It is published by News Group Newspapers of News International, itself a subsidiary of Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, and can be considered the Sunday equivalent of The Sun. The newspaper tends to concentrate on celebrity-based scoops and populist news. But its tone has been raised after the recent change of regime at the paper[citation needed]. Its fondness for sex scandals gained it the nicknames "Sex 'n' Scandal weekly", "News of the Screws" and "Screws of the World".

Re: How about both?

Quote Originally Posted by gwm4asian
    Frpm Wiki

Its fondness for sex scandals gained it the nicknames "Sex 'n' Scandal weekly", "News of the Screws" and "Screws of the World".
    Thanks gwm4asian. I have always heard it refereed to by the latter nickname. The only time I have seen it refereed to as "News of the Screws", is in Private Eye.

George.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by George
    Quote Originally Posted by gwm4asian
    Frpm Wiki

Its fondness for sex scandals gained it the nicknames "Sex 'n' Scandal weekly", "News of the Screws" and "Screws of the World".
    ...The only time I have seen it refereed to as "News of the Screws", is in Private Eye.

George.
    So, George, you HAD already heard of it referred to as the News of the Screws in Private Eye. In that case, there was no need, when dear fattman merely observed that that was what he had always heard it called, to respond so abruptly and rudely with "Then I am afraid fattman, you have heard wrong".
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

"So, George, you HAD already heard of it referred to as the News of the Screws in Private Eye. In that case, there was no need, when dear fattman merely observed that that was what he had always heard it called, to respond so abruptly and rudely"

That is George's usual style.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    "Please stop repeating the above canard! "

well I certainly wouldn't be repeating anything re-printed from a police press release ( or indeed the Times) ...I would guarantee that so far most of the things found in Jersey could be found at any single schoolyard on the planet..children's teeth ( I know the school where 2 of mine were knocked out)..blood etc.

But as this was children's home in Jersey with long term tenants the fact that milk teeth have been found -it would be odd if they weren't.

let's look at some of the facts to date : apart from the dramatic ( non-existent) child's skull we have the police claiming "charred bones " have been found. It would still take pathologists months to determine whether they were children's , adults or even human..just more humbug to keep justifying the original over-reaction.
    "pointing to possible cremation of remains" ( or in some newspaper."children's remains")

at best : this is the worst style of police procedure seen in decades...releasing and extrapolating unknown facts..no police force in it's right mind works like this in such piecemeal fashion .

at worst: it's sheer humbug and will be found to be bogus like everything else they have claimed.."torture' baths that now appear to be have used for animals as is common practice on Jersey.

Throw in the great "sniffer" dogs who were first used to dramatically draw attention to the home in the first place. Owned by a private firm and leased to any police force willing to pay-they are the same dogs taken to Portugal and uncovered the copious amounts of Madeline McCann's "blood" in the boot of her parent's car-except it was again completely bogus.

But we do have one person of 45 being charged for offenses against children ( and he's pleaded guilty) but it isn't quite what it seems. He was actually a child himself in the home who abused other kids..unlawful maybe, not uncommon and still not the scandal claimed.

Plus the amazing discrepancy of the huge numbers of former residents who have already put in claims for compensation although quite a number have mysteriously dropped their claims when it's been pointed out-record s show they have never actually never been near Jersey.

A tale is being weaved and spun-even by the Times.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.