Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Dragoncastle ruined my birthday party

Dragoncastle ruined my birthday party

So this is the story.
    I was taking some friends out on my birthday for a lovely meal and then some entertainment. Where can we go I thought? So I googled and this website Dragoncastle came up with listings of all the best places to go in Gay Bangkok. I thought it must be a reliable website because @Richards was right at the top of the listings. We wanted to go somewhere that my firends could sing "Happy Birthday" to me so I found on Dragoncastle two places that looked suitable.
    The first was Hamiltons Hideaway in Silom Soi 2/1 and the other was Voicemale Music Room in Soi Freemans.
    Well after dinner we walked and walked up and down Silom Road and just could not find Soi Freemans. Where is it Mister Dragoncastle?
    Then we went looking for Hamiltons Hideaway. I knew Silom Soi 2/1 because that's where we all meet up at @Richards. So we walk up and down Soi 2/1 and can't find the place. By this time I'm just getting puffed out with all this strolling and had to use my inhaler so I say to my buddies that let's just go into Richards and have a drink.
    We were put right by Richard's crew in a flash. Voicemale closed last year and became Hamiltons. Hamiltons went belly-up three months ago. You can trust the guys at Richards to be on top of every situation.

So my question is this: Why would Dragoncastle make a listing of two places at the same address and both of them no longer exist??
    Answer me that one if you can?

Liked

It ain't easy ...

Quote Originally Posted by wilf
    " ... So my question is this: Why would Dragoncastle make a listing of two places at the same address and both of them no longer exist??
    Answer me that one if you can?
    ... "
    Because they don't keep the website updated.

Listing venues on gay websites is notoriously iffy. Places change names and owners, go belly up, get demolished etc etc so frequently that's it's actually a mug's game for any listing service to keep up with it. Often the listings and maps are so way out of date they're more harm than help, especially for Thailand newbies. Even the best sites fall into this trap . . . Dreaded Ned for instance had very out of date maps on his site until the recent update in (by the looks of it) December 2007. So that update is now 6 months old, which may not seem like a very long time, but I can assure you, there are places on DN's maps which are probably not there anymore, or have changed names.

Attempting to put together a comprehensive listing of Thailand gay venues is a very difficult game to get into, and if the owners of the website aren't willing to do updating on an ongoing basis the lists can be chockablock full of errors ... in very little time.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

smiles is quite correct,. You will get much more advice and up to date info here on the forum.

What a whiner. Are you related to my ex-wife?

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1
    Plus most notified events, are in our calendar... link at the top of the page.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

and..

...and it isn't "Soi Freeman's" anymore, its "Soi GOD" Freemans doesn't exist anymore.

True, many of those travel web sights are outdated. One has to pick up the latest tourist gay mag in the city to know what's happening.

Re: and..

Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill
    ...and it isn't "Soi Freeman's" anymore
    Soi Richard's?

Also known a ways back as Soi Khrua Silom for a Thai disco.

Liked

Re: and..

Quote Originally Posted by ArNolD
    Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill
    ...and it isn't "Soi Freeman's" anymore
    Soi Richard's?
    Also known a ways back as Soi Khrua Silom for a Thai disco.
    It's Silom Soi 2/1. By a large majority, sois in Bangkok (and elsewhere) are by number, not name.

Cheers ...

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by fattman
    " ... The Soi I live in has a nickname that everyone in the area uses, but the street signs say something completely different ... "
    ... which was kind of my point. If one is walking along Silom (for instance) looking for a particular soi, it will always be easiest and most logical ~ even in Thailand :blackeye: ~ to look for the Soi number, not some 'nickname' which may or may not be different during different time periods.

We often stay at a very nice, clean and reasonable hotel out on Sukhumvit Soi 56. The Soi sign says "Soi 56" but underneath, in brackets, it also says "Soi Sai Thip" ... there being a quite prominent hotel just down the soi called The Saithip, as well as a Sai Thip Tennis Club etc etc. But if those places ever change names (kind of like the Freeman Disco), folks will still be able to find the place as "Soi 56", rather than rely on a potentially out of date nickname.

Clicked on Fattman's link abiove to a site called 'Thailand Scene'. Not sure how up to date it's particular list of Bangkok venues is, but at least they recognize the difficulties. On the page listing the GoGo Bars it has a banner at the top which reads:

"Go-Go and host bars open, close, move and change names with alarming rapidity.
    This list is as update as we can make it"

Cheers ...