Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "America is very famous. They control the world."

Re: Ivory towers and the like

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    You guys out of all of this have offered no real solutions to the world problems because you like us have no idea how to fix things.
    I'm glad you admit you have no idea how to fix things - refreshing and unexpected candour, pity your leaders don't accept that they also have no idea.

America, however, seems to think it does have the answer --- impose American style 'democracy', Christian values and economics on the rest of the world, quite often by overwhelming military force, whether those countries want it or not and whether such a flawed policy is suitable or viable for that country. In so doing it acts as an ideal recruiting sergeant for the terrorists and Islamic radicals and ensures there are even more converts to radical Islam than there would otherwise have been.

Might, and the American way, is not always right!

As for suggesting a solution to the problem - it beats me! So many more intelligent and better-qualified people than me have tried and failed. One thing is certain, the rest of the world will have to accept that they have no answer to the inexorable spread of Islam whilst men, women and children are prepared to sacrifice their lives as martyrs to their cause.

Might, and the American way, is not always right!
    I think we need to recognise that some Islamists and some Communist would also like to impose their "way"
    and it's kinda no bad thing that the septics aren't prepared to let them.

Liked
    I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what this "Americanization" is that is allegedly forced on the world. I'll grant a long history of political intervention (along with competition with Soviet-style authoritarianism and expansionist dictatorships like the Nazis and Japanese). If by the term you mean softer 'policies' like the appreciation of liberal societies, it seems clear to me that homegrown progressives in nations NOT invaded by the US military have found much of their inspiration in the existence and progressive History of the US.

If you are referring to simple cultural icons like McDonald's and Coca Cola, rhythm and blues and Hollywood, then as a traveler, I also would prefer that peoples retain more of their culture, but accept that free people in free economies will gravitate to whatever appeals to them and need no force to do so.

Like Wesley, I also wonder what the rest of the world would do if the US abdicated it's role in the world. Like Wesley, I fear that vacuum would be filled by powers and forces that most of the world would find more difficult to endure than perceptions of American hubris.

It would certainly be easier come election time to choose our own leaders without a whiff of concern for the rest of the world. YOU try being a citizen of a Super Power who's going to be heckled and damned whether they DO or DO NOT.

In the US, we tend to think of Ivory Towers as bastions of academia where proposals are debated and fingers are wagged, not where the nuts and bolts of action and the dirty work of leadership takes place.

Currently, we've lost our way--but we KNOW we have. There will be years of political strife in the US regardless of who wins this election.

Finally, I would still rather endure a lecture on 'attitude of superiority' from the French over one from the English.

Liked

So, its not enough to invade Iraq now we are on Mars.
    Wesley
    Regarding Mars, the recent landing on Mars by another US spacecraft does exhibit a technical achievement that is the envy of the world. An achievement that few if any other nation has accomplished. Credit where credit is due.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    So, its not enough to invade Iraq now we are on Mars.
    Wesley
    Regarding Mars, the recent landing on Mars by another US spacecraft does exhibit a technical achievement that is the envy of the world. An achievement that few if any other nation has accomplished. Credit where credit is due.
    True, but we should acknowledge the part played by the ESA's 'Mars Express' in providing continuing support for NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander, surely? See http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/index.html

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_tf
    ....Finally, I would still rather endure a lecture on 'attitude of superiority' from the French over one from the English.
    I'm not English, btw.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by cottmann
    ....Finally, I would still rather endure a lecture on 'attitude of superiority' from the French over one from the English.
    I'm not English, btw.

and you are from where...?

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by cottmann
    I'm not English, btw.

and you are from where...?

Wes
    Rathaspeck, County Wexford, Ireland.

Liked
    Sorry I left a post that was a put down so, I decided to edit it out. I hope you enjoy you life in Ireland. I'm sure it is a beautiful country and has a rich and full heritage.

Wesley
    All the Best!

Wes

Liked

Where are you from?

Sorry I left a post that was a put down so, I decided to edit it out. I hope you enjoy you life in Ireland. I'm sure it is a beautiful country and has a rich and full heritage. Wesley
    I do; it is; it has.