List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NBC Today ShowтАЩs Matt Lauer in Laos - Laos as Visa Run?

Liked

From Lonely Planet website

For those of you with an idealistic view of Lao and Laotians

Word Of Warning In Vientiane

I was recently travelling in Laos, I met three gay locals (guy, sur and sol if thats the real alias), I enjoyed their company over a milkshake, they offered to bring me to the only gay bar in town.

I enjoyed the first part of the evening but cant remember the second part, I woke up to find all my valuables gone, including passport, money, phone etc.

I had been drugged and was the victim of Laos thives. When I awoke I had a massive head ache and felt very tired and groggy.

This is my second time to the Laos capital and in general the people are very nice. When I spoke about this to some local expats they said that this particular type of crime is becoming very common in Vientiane amonst a specific group of gay locals.

For any one who has experienced this type of crime before they know problems that this causes you and the terrible feeling that stays with you.

Take extra care with new gay friends in Vientiane.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by ArNolD
    A few important things to know before you take the visa run to Laos.

A visa will be required but can be easily obtained at the Friendship Bridge by most farang after filling out the same questions on numerous forms. Have two passport photos is a good idea, though I think only one is required. The price has jumped to U.S. $29.00 for most farang, except only Canadians who must pay $35.00, probably for some reason.

There are many places to get a visa between the train station and the bridge. I do not know if they are better priced or whatever but I have never heard any complaints.

The trip from the train station in Nong Khai to the Friendship Bridge should cost you 20 - 40 baht depending on the number of persons in the tuktuk. At the bridge you will need to pay an additional 10 baht for the bus across the Mekong, which never seems to have the entrance/exit on the correct side (that is the sidewalk side - like Bush airport in Houston), poosibly caused by the confusing situation with the change from left-side to right-side driving conventions. After all thai immigration/lao visa/customs formailities you will have to pay another 10 baht customs fee. You'll be quoted 300 baht for the taxi service to Vien Chang but you can bargain this down to 250. It takes about forty minutes and there are no more oxcarts (fully paved). All that is plus tips, of course.

The taxi drivers can be very helpful in finding accomodation, but if no else just get off in Fountain Sq. and walk around. There are numerous guest houses available.
    Hmm, first of all, most farang will pay USD35 this is the price for most western European countries and the US, canadians pay 42 USD. Russians, Japanese and most ASEAN countries get in for free. Indeed one photo is enough, if you don't have one, you might be charged an additional 50 baht or 1 USD, but I sometimes didn't pay this fee.

A private taxi will be 250 baht, less for shared taxi or songtawn into Vientiane, the trip in a private taxi won't take more then 20-25 minutes, as the road into Vientiane is finished now (a few years back it was partly dust, now it is paved all the way).

Liked

Laos

Given the choice I would miss out the capital and go straight to Luang P.
    This little town is my fav place in all of S.E.A. It is a great little place with a beautiful setting and lots of temples - if that's your thing.
    The number of bars and good food places is very high for such a small place.
    Ideally you can walk everywhere.
    If you really want to stay in the capital try Settha Palace Hotel. There was a waiter there last year who took personnel service to a new high.

Enjoy

Liked
    I enjoyed the first part of the evening but cant remember the second part, I woke up to find all my valuables gone, including passport, money, phone etc.

I had been drugged and was the victim of Laos thives. When I awoke I had a massive head ache and felt very tired and groggy.
    It happens in Thailand too. Some Swiss tourist told me last month he met a boy at DJ Station, took him to Phuket and he had one of these Micky-Finn thefts done on him.

In Hanoi the popular scam is being taken to a VIP bar and then getting a huge bill. When you refuse to pay they threaten to call the police. The one guy I know that told me it happen to him, he said, OK call the police and they reduced the bill, he paid.
    E Dok Tong