The thread just below about the Oscars got me to thinking about which "gay"-themed movies I've seen over the years are my favourites.

I must admit to enjoying Brokeback Mountain very much, but quite honestly I cannot see it as a "Best Picture" winner (IMHO of course). When comparing it to Ang Lee's The Wedding Banquet, for me 'Brokeback" comes of in second place, not first. I simply thought The Wedding Banquet to be a better film ... though certainly less dramatic and spectacular.

At any rate, here is a list of my personal top 10 gay films ~ in order of preference.

ALL these films are terrific, but Happy Together is arguably heads and shoulders above the rest . . . in terms of both quirky film making and the strangely invigorating-yet-despressing overall mood.
As you can probably tell, I am a great Stephen Frears fan ( Prick up Your Ears and My Beautiful Launderette). Some years after making these 2 smallish films listed below, he directed the mesmerising Les Liasons Dangereux.

How about sharing your own list . . . ?

The last photo in this group is from a small made-for-TV film for which I could not find a poster, so I copied a still shot from the movie itself. It's called Doing Time on Maple Drive and is unexpectedly excellent. It starts off as a fairly typical "coming out to the family" movie, but is filled to the brim with fine acting, some wonderfully fleshed-out characters, meandering story lines (the Gay Comer-outer ~ the kid in the middle of the family photo ~ is not the only drama here), and a VERY early turn by a VERY youthful Jim Carrey, who can't live up to either his father's expectations, or match the news of his brother's gayness.

Cheers ...