List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is the credit crunch affecting you in Thailand?

Thailand no bargin

If I had not bought property in Pattaya several years ago, I would probably not be able to afford to do so now. This would have put a big dent in my ability to retire fairly comfortably in Pattaya.

Most of us retiring here have to bring in the entire amount from our home country. My pension is about 30% less than I thought it would be with the baht so strong.

I have friends that unfortunately were actually living on credit that can not afford to come to Thailand this year and probably not next. They had borrowed on property equity to pay off credit cards and car payments. Then they built up credit card debt and purchased new cars and used some of this money for their vacations to Thailand. BANG! Low interest adjustable on mortages hit at the same time property values dived.

It surprises me to read that some may think this has no effect on Thailand.

Re: Thailand no bargin

Quote Originally Posted by Pattaya Male
    If I had not bought property in Pattaya several years ago, I would probably not be able to afford to do so now. This would have put a big dent in my ability to retire fairly comfortably in Pattaya.

Most of us retiring here have to bring in the entire amount from our home country. My pension is about 30% less than I thought it would be with the baht so strong.

I have friends that unfortunately were actually living on credit that can not afford to come to Thailand this year and probably not next. They had borrowed on property equity to pay off credit cards and car payments. Then they built up credit card debt and purchased new cars and used some of this money for their vacations to Thailand. BANG! Low interest adjustable on mortages hit at the same time property values dived.

It surprises me to read that some may think this has no effect on Thailand.

Hi,

It sure does have an impact on Thailand, especially the European and American tourists.

It is interesting also to read about the ways in which people fund their second/holiday homes. For sure, this will have a major effect on condo purchases!

I don''t care where the thread belongs and in which forum, good points raised.[ self interest!]

It is

For me the prices of airline tickets are getting to be scary
    I am flying business class on Thai out of New York This is a $ 5600.00 ticket. Thank god for miles.
    Last December my premium economy ticket was $ 1450. I looked on the sight today it is over $2000
    It looks like i will be coming over 2 time a year instead of 3 time a year.
    That with the Baht around 31 it is definitely effecting my travel

let's lighten the load a little ...

... a little negative here, let's lighten the load a little - this time next year, things will seem a lot rosier, I'm sure. There is money about, lots of it, apparently, and the banks are holding on to it and that's for sure, until the this whole mess has been cleared in about a year's time - that is not me talking, but senior economists. The only reason I brought this subject up is that my bank was reminding me that my 3 year deal was coming to an end and that there were very little options to go over to, apart from a variable rate mortgage. All this cheap money is "out of the window" for the time being, but I'm sure it will return, but with caution.

For certain what is currently happening, as has been said before, the Americans are not visiting Thailand in droves, if the pound continues its way south, that will happen also to the Brits. However, the Euro is very powerful at the moment, so there is still room for the Germans etc to visit Thailand, and the Chinese, Russians etc. It's time to learn a new language!!!

Liked
    My Mortgage rate is the same now as it was this time last year
    It is with an Irish bank and my Rate is 0.5% above the European Central Bank rate = 4.75%

It doesn't show any immediate signs of going up - in fact the ECB rate will go down if anything...

Think the current credit crunch only affects people from the US or those in the UK with poor credit history or risky profiles who have to deal with subprime lenders

Things never been better for us in the eurozone....
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by colmx
    My Mortgage rate is the same now as it was this time last year
    It is with an Irish bank and my Rate is 0.5% above the European Central Bank rate = 4.75%

It doesn't show any immediate signs of going up - in fact the ECB rate will go down if anything...

Think the current credit crunch only affects people from the US or those in the UK with poor credit history or risky profiles who have to deal with subprime lenders

Things never been better for us in the eurozone....
    The problem is that UK refused to join the Eurozone, or the Schengen agreement, and the former is certainly biting the UK now, as the ┬г slides, except against the US$. The arrogance of us Brits!

Liked

Re: It is

Quote Originally Posted by skeet45
    For me the prices of airline tickets are getting to be scary
    I am flying business class on Thai out of New York This is a $ 5600.00 ticket. Thank god for miles.
    Last December my premium economy ticket was $ 1450. I looked on the sight today it is over $2000
    It looks like i will be coming over 2 time a year instead of 3 time a year.
    That with the Baht around 31 it is definitely effecting my travel
    I'm coming on United out of Dulles on 30 April. Economy Plus ticket was $1137. (I can't afford them high-class tickets like that there skeet-fella).

This ticket is for less than 30 days. For some reason, if u stay more than 30 days, the ticket price goes up. So, I'm coming in Oct for 60 days, and using miles to pay for it. (Total cost $42)

Jim

The business class ticket is with my miles so all i payed was the tax.
    Are you going to have 1 or 2 stops.
    I have gotten used to that direct flight .
    I don"t mind paying a little more for that one.
    I am not sure the economy plus on United is as nice as the Thai flight.
    The last time i was on Untied the seat was the same as economy but you had like 4 more inches of leg room
    Where on the Thai flight the seat is bigger and wider that economy ant he pitch is better
    The entertainment is great about 30 movies to watch
    I am going to be spoiled my next trip but i am afraid i will be back in premium economy in December