Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting to Siem Reap from Thailand

Getting to Siem Reap from Thailand

Hi

I'm doing some early planning for my next trip to Thailand {Feb 08} and want to take a side trip to Siem Reap. Whilst in Thailand I'll be visiting BKK, CM and Pattaya - am I right in thinking that the best way to get to SR is from BKK by air rather than trying to get there from either Pattaya or CM? (think I would prefer to fly but other suggestions are welcome)

cheers

Brian

Fly. It is a quick cheap flight from BKK. You might want to consider staying at the Golden Banana Guest House in Siem Reap. It is a gay guest house that offer a good quality service, reasonable prices, and nice boys to show you around the monuments of the Khmer Empire, night time entertainment venues and late night private entertainment. They have a web site, google them up.

So many options

Any travel agent can offer you a range of options travelling from Thailand to Seam Reap.

A good choise one is going overland using train or bus and stop by at Surin and have a look around. Surin is very ritch on historical cultural Khmer relicts, very similar to Angkhor Wat but surely not at the same dimension.

From Surin or Ubon you can arrange by yourself a easy trip to the border and further down to Siem Reap. The new road should help a lot.

Liked

For my October trip to Siem Reap ........

........... the round trip air fare from BKK to SR is almost double the cost of round trip airfare to Phnom Penh ........... the market will bear that due to the huge number of tourists visiting SR and Angkor Wat ............ plus Cambodia tourist officials want to encourage folks to add PP to their itinerary ........... thus my plan is to fly to PP and then do a round trip bus to SR.............. not exactly sure of the cost of the airfare so will not quote it here ........... also possible to get different prices from different airlines and different travel agents.

However the bus info that I have is US$5 one way for 5.5 hour trip ....... by the way this bus connects in PP both ways to Ho Chi Minh for $11-$12 for a 6 hour trip ........... I have just sent an email to the friend that I intend to visit in SR for info on the guest house that he most recommends in SR and the hotel in PP and also the various airfares he is aware of .......... will post it here as soon as he responds............ attached is the info that I have received from him re the bus ...... have four attachments so one with this posting and the next three subsequently ......... I think this system will permit only one attachment per posting...... also will have to post the brochure sideways as this system seems to permit only "The Attachment/Image must be less than 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels high" ........... sorry, but if you print it, turn sideways.

More as I get it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked

Back of brochure

Back of brochure

Liked

Front of business card

Front of business card

Liked

Back of business card

Back of business card

Liked
    Most of my close friends - Straight (late 20's) have done the SR->PP->Sr (or vice versa) overland route

I have also done the Arranyarathet/Poi pet->SR overland route myself twice

All of us heartily recommend against going overland to anywhere to Cambodia

Just fly!

And if you can't afford to fly - you shoukld just stay at home... and save till you can afford to travel in relative comfort

(or at least until they put tarmacadam on the roads!)
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

How much adventure do you want?

You can get a 2 hr or less flight from either Bangkok or Chiang Mai to Siem Reap and see a lot of pretty clouds on the way. That's ok if you just don't have the time.
    You can take a private taxi and stop at all sorts of intersting places on the way or you can take busses and meet all sorts of people and see the country (chickens, buffaloes and potholes) up close.
    Up to you.

(For the record, I've only done it by plane. Also, I've had my fill of busses in Thailand after only one trip.)

If you have the time I strongly second the suggestion to see Phnom Penh. Its really a beautiful, small, laid back capital city and worth a trip.

Liked
    on my upcoming trip I am spending a week or so over in Cambodia. I am flying BKK-Phnom Penh to spend a couple of days there then to REP for several days doing the Khmer/Angkor sites then flying back from there to BKK. I suppose it depends on your budget whether you want to fly and/or whether you have the time and interest in doing an overland adventure. I am on Thai Airways to PP. I can't remember how much I am paying but it's probably a couple of hundred USD for a business class seat, economy is much cheaper for sure. Then I am on Bangkok Airways PNH-REP for about US$70 and REP-BKK for about $115.

as I always do I can recommend the services of Purple Dragon tours. Not as cheap as doing it all on your own but they have hotels of all different levels and also provide guide services and other things that make it worth the money to me. very efficient and the staff are all very nice and professional.