Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sir Arthur C. Clarke has died.

Just one more

Since I don't want to flood this thread with my own memories, I'll make this the last of my photos of Arthur.
    I think the world pretty much knew Sir Arthur had become quite frail in the last few months when he didn't appear at the Galle Literary Festival in January. Arthur's long time friend Gore Vidal was there, also in a wheel chair. These are the last of a breed that the world is unlikely to ever see the likes of again. The real tragedy is that many people are glad of that very fact!

I hope you have enjoyed my pictures.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    nice pics starchild..this is a thread about Sir Arthur so why not post your personal memories..

it will be interesting to see how he is remembered in Sri Lanka..I believe they treated him as a treasured and honoured citizen.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Thank you Lunchtime O'Booze

I would rather not discuss my memories of Arthur in a public forum for personal reasons. But when I am next in Pattaya, I can send you a PM and we can have a drink together if you like.

But I feel quite free to tell you that Arthur was looked upon like a god in Sri Lanka. How many writers have had countries issue commemorative postage stamps to them while still living?

As you must know, Arthur came to the island in the mid-1950s with Mike Wilson and quickly befriended Bevis Bawa, Roland Raven-Hart and Rodney Jonklaas. None of these by any stretch of the imagination were ordinary "main stream" people. If the truth be told, they were among the most magnificently eccentric and riveting individuals I have ever known who were never ready to accept the "given" world of what most people call "reality" and so created their own. Sometimes these worlds collided but always for worth.

But that's enough for now.

I feel quite free to tell you that Arthur was looked upon like a god in Sri Lanka.
    The Sri Lankan administrator in my workplace was saddened by this news today, and quick to confirm this assertion.

Liked

Re: Just one more

Quote Originally Posted by starchild
    I hope you have enjoyed my pictures.
    Starchild, thank you very, very much for sharing the photos and your memories with us!

Liked
    I add my thanks as well and my sympathies for the loss of your friend.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    starchild-you must know my astronomer friend who has just been with Sir Arthur in the past few weeks then ?..a very old friend of his originally from Tennesee
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.