Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning Thai

Liked

Learning Thai

I've been learning Thai for just over two years now and thought a progress report might be helpful to those of you thinking of taking the plunge. My schedule is not very punishing: five one-hour, one-to-one lessons with my Thai teacher per week (Monday to Friday) and perhaps another couple of hours a week for homework. As a result of that, I can now speak reasonably grammatically and clearly and can convey much of what I want to communicate. I read and write at the level of about a Thai 9-year-old. I can understand what Thais say to me if they speak slowly, but comprehension is still the weak link in my progress. I watch Thai TV in a fog of lost meanings (possibly the best way to watch Thai TV). Someone more gifted at foreign languages than me or prepared to study more intensively (15 to 20 hours a week is easily possible without overdoing it) would no doubt progress much more rapidly.

I have noticed three emotional stages while I've been learning. The first, lasting about three months, was one of extreme aversion, when I felt like giving up almost every day, what with the constant bombardment of new and confusing input. One simply has to hang on in there while this is going on and think long-term, knowing that things can only get better. The second stage of about a year's duration was pretty neutral. The worst of the initial shock had worn off but there was little sense of improvement and it was just a comfortable routine I was performing - on a bad day I might have still thrown up my hands in despair and called it a day. The final stage, which has lasted many months now, has been one of positive enjoyment, of seeing the clear benefits of all the hard work and of drawing satisfaction from the small forward steps made each day. I truly look forward to my lessons now and wouldn't dream of giving up.

What are the benefits? Well, relationships with the young men are more rewarding for a start. I can hold proper conversations with them now and be humorous without having to rely on mime and funny faces (though they still come into it). More interesting matters can be discussed than before, though profound the conversations certainly ain't! Beyond all that, I can deal with practical stuff much better - ordering in restaurants, querying things with officials, getting directions etc. Being able to decipher signs, documents etc (slowly, laboriously) is also useful. Everything combines to make one feel less isolated and helpless, more attuned to what is going on all around. It's a good feeling.

For people who come to Thailand only as tourists it is quite sufficient just to pick up a few words and phrases here and there and rely on goodwill to get them through. There's not time for much else. But for foreigners living here I think it really is a good idea to consider learning the language properly, and by that I mean going to a teacher and learning to read and write it as well as just speak it (trying to learn on one's own invites disaster - poor pronunciation, more likely to give up quickly). There are many excuses for the expat not to learn Thai, but they usually come down to one thing: laziness. As a guest here I feel that the onus is on me to learn Thai, not on Thais to speak my language. One is automatically accorded more respect if one makes the effort - just this morning a songtaew driver, beaming from ear to ear, insisted on shaking my hand as I got out of the front cab of his vehicle. One also respects oneself more. Tuition is not expensive (I pay 3000B a month) and the cost is repaid many times over in terms of more enjoyable living. If you are thinking of doing it, my advice is: go for it, you won't regret it in the long run.

Just for fun in closing, I wonder if anyone already proficient in Thai knows the meaning of the following (my own transliteration system and no tone marks just to make it harder!): 'Kaw meuang dtaa liu dtong liu dtaa dtaam'. Clue: it's a Thai saying with some relevance to my post above.

[i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (February 5th, 2017), sglad (February 5th, 2017)

Liked

Congrats, PeterUK

You deserve kudos for doing what many farang only dream of, myself included. And you are right, you need to have a Thai teacher, you can't learn it on your own. I have tried both. I went to a wat here in Houston with materials purchased from a language school I went to in Phuket. Locally, I found a community of Thai people at a place called Wat Buddhavas.

http://www.watbuddhavas.iirt.net/

They only charged me $100 a semester, a rare bargain! Especially when compared to Berlitz, who wanted over $3000! Otherwise, it's best to be living in Thailand to learn Thai, which is difficult when you can only visit for a couple of weeks twice a year.

Another tool is Rosetta Stone, which helps learn the tones, but a private teacher is still the only way to go.

Again, you are to be commended for your diligence. The boys are impressed and will appreciate you more now that you can speak Thai. I think all the rewards are well worth it.

Re: Congrats, PeterUK

Quote Originally Posted by thaiworthy
    You deserve kudos for doing what many farang only dream of, myself included.
    And for many of us it's a nightmare kind of dream. Even Aunty's life's work, Nuclear Physics for the under fives, is not going to be something I will ever have proficiency in talking about in Thai to any Thai. Those who understand its concepts will be speaking passable-to-perfect English anyway. Ask most bar boys if you can pay for their English lessons and they will jump at the chance. A basic vocabulary of a couple of hundred words will get you through most day-to-day situations. However you should learn Thai from an educated Thai; the moment you open your mouth every Thai will be able to identify immediately if your "teachers" were the Isaan bar boys with whom you ordinarily interact. But, as I say, a conversation that I would ordinarily carry on with another English speaker is not going to be possible with a semi-educated Thai. If they can hold that sort of conversation then they will have learnt English already

Liked: 1
    I recall a piece on Bangkok Phil's old site where he went around the best known Thai language schools in BKK and assessed their operations, from teaching methods, to staff quality, teaching materials, classrooms, class sizes, costs, etc. Phil is a bigwig in the online expat English teaching community, although in Thailand that doesn't necessarily mean one knows anything about good teaching ! In any case, the verdict was that there was only one or two schools where he would spend his money, and many he wouldn't go near.

So that's the problem as I see it with learning Thai in Thailand. The country's education system has an unenviable bad reputation. Anyone can put up a shingle and call themselves a Thai language teacher, even if their only qualification is that they are Thai. And even though they may seem competent enough, a farang has no way of knowing whether they're being taught well, let alone correctly. You wouldn't want to be taught English by some of the supposed native speakers on this board !

So my approach has been to begin my Thai education in my home country. In big cities it is not too difficult to find Thai language courses taught by Thais with proper teaching qualifications, knowledge of different Thai teaching methods, and similar competency in English. Of course it will cost more than in Thailand. But I believe that you need a strong foundation in the 'rules' of the Thai language, taught in a systematic way. One can then study further in Thailand with a proper basis on which to choose the best teacher for you.

There are different ways of teaching Thai. As a language that does not have a long tradition of being taught to foreigners, those methods are still evolving. One famous school in BKK used the dubious approach that one should spend weeks just listening to Thai before attempting to speak any words at all.

There are also some particularly critical issues in Thai language teaching - for example the choice of a transliteration system (there are several, but only one that I think works well), when should one be introduced to Thai writing, how to teach tones, etc.

I'm still early in my journey to learn Thai. I did two 10-week, once-a-week courses several years ago. I now feel like I understand the rules of the language, although I am far from being able to speak it. But I don't live in Thailand, so there is no urgency. I have a set of books and tapes that I refer to from time to time, which I chose based on how the material is presented (most are from the Benjawan Becker series).

It would be interesting to hear others' experiences.

6. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (February 5th, 2017)

I have purchased and I am currently using Rosetta Stone. In my humble opinion it's GREAT! The only problem with it is it only has a level one (with Thai) and with other languages they have at least a two levels. Anyway, Rosetta Stone basically teaches you any language as a parent would teach a child ... boy, boy, boy (photo) girl, girl, girl (photo) etc. this gives you the basics then they go to short phrases, like the boy under the table vs on top of the table. Believe it or not you are also taught simple sentences ... it's very enjoyable when I spend my hour or two a day working on this program. My goal is to speak Thai and I understand that Rosetta Stone won't get me there, however, I believe that by the time I am able to move to Thailand and call it my home, I will have a solid enough base in the language to get by to begin with and to build upon in the following years.

I have been using the Thai - Isan - Lao Phrasebook by Asger Mollerup. Not easy. At the end of the day being able to throw out some Isan gets amazing responses. Similar to the time I brought Isan CDs to a bar and asked the DJ to play instead of the normal fare. Unbelievable response from the entire staff. A bottle and setup for the boys and it was a night of frolick and fun... Yeah, I was the only customer on a slow night and nothing better was on offer.

A little Isan does wonders.

BTW, RB at A*** always impresses the BF when he speaks Isan. BF loves to go to A*** for the shells which gives power in bed. He also knows I love RB's service and desserts. Mango season is on the way.

Liked
    It's not only the Pattaya bar boys that are speaking Issan/Lao, it's also most of the Bangkok taxi drivers and service people. They learn Lao first at home and then when and if they go to school they learn Thai. Some learn better than others.

My BF told me when he went to school in Nong Khai the Thai government teachers would punish them if they spoke Lao but when the teacher left the room they all reverted back to speaking Lao to each other. Both his parents spoke only Issan/Lao.

Some of the Bangkok taxi drivers are just off the bus from Issan. They know some basic Thai and maybe a few English words.

It's frustrating, learn to speak Thai well and those dam Thai people driving around in BMW's will not open their windows to speak to you.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

Thai 101

I had a substitute teacher for my Thai lesson one day and I was trying to give a compliment about her smile.

I said, "Phom chorp fan kong khun." Which I thought meant I like your teeth. (I was looking for another way of saying "I like your smile." But I didn't know the word for smile.)

Her eyes widened and her mouth opened, gaping in awe.

What I had actually said apparently, was "I like your boyfriend."

Should have been "Phom chorp fun kong khun."

I think. I don't know, maybe I have them mixed up again.

This stuff isn't easy. And sometimes embarrassing.

Liked: 1

Re: Thai 101

Quote Originally Posted by thaiworthy
    I had a substitute teacher for my Thai lesson one day and I was trying to give a compliment about her smile.

I said, "Phom chorp fan kong khun." Which I thought meant I like your teeth. (I was looking for another way of saying "I like your smile." But I didn't know the word for smile.)

Her eyes widened and her mouth opened, gaping in awe.

What I had actually said apparently, was "I like your boyfriend."

Should have been "Phom chorp fun kong khun."

I think. I don't know, maybe I have them mixed up again.

This stuff isn't easy. And sometimes embarrassing.
    Yep, phaen is boyfriend / girlfriend, which is I guess is what your word sounded like. Fan is tooth. Yim is smile. But I suspect you know all that.

That's the problem with loose transliteration systems. Depending on your accent, you and I could pronounce words spelt that way completely differently. Whereas with a stricter phonetic transliteration system with special characters (like that used by most good teachers, eg Becker) there's less scope to get things wrong, until you reach the point at which you're ready for Thai characters (as early as possible according to most good teachers, but not too early).

It's also why you can't learn Thai from a book. You have to hear the words and tones.

BTW, "yim suay" (beautiful smile) is bound to endear you to any gay Thai boy ... as long as you pronounce it right. :-)

in the end you cant beat learning to read thai script.