Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock, horror in Silom

Shock, horror in Silom

Between Bangkok Bank (on one side of Silom) and Kasikorn Bank (formerly Thai Farmers Bank), near Soi 5, there is now a traffic-light controlled ... wait for it ... (gasp) pedestrian-crossing. The sole purpose of the lights there (on demand) is to allow pedestrians to cross the road. This represents the end of Thai civilization as we know it. The authorities have gone so far as to break out the traffic divider in the middle, so it is a completely single-level crossing point. I can even manage it with my zimmer frame :roll:. Until now crossing Silom Rd has given me my daily adrenalin rush. I shall now have to seek out some other excitement

Liked

Aiming Device?

They have several of these in Chiangmai and it's a hoot (frightening at times) to watch them work. I'd guess that maybe half the traffic actually stops for them whereas the other half slow a little or zoom for the funny walking creatures. Sometimes I've felt safer simply crossing elsewhere as my heightened senses/fears make me deftly ply between the bumpers. The allegedly safe crosswalks lull one into thinking that somebody actually will pay attention to it.

Liked

cross walk lights

I saw a few of these in Chiang Mai and was told there are new. Yes, I did notice that about 1/2 of cars ignore and almost all motocys ignore them driving around you if they can as you cross. Do not count on anything stopping just because there is a red light. The one I used in Chiang Mai only gave you 10 seconds to make it across. One farang I know though it more dangerous to used these than to just wait for a break in the traffic.
    E Dok Tong

Trade-up time.

Get one of the new three-legged zimmer frames with wheels and hand-brakes.
    Great for those times you want to trip him and get under him before he hits the floor.

I wait at that crossing in Silom until a suitable number of Thai office staff are gathered. Only when they start to walk across as a group do I follow them, making sure I have a good human shield from the traffic. This way I have to wait a little longer but it pays in terms of safety to let the locals take the lead.

Consumer report

My Zimmer Frame and I decided to essay crossing Silom Rd using the new facility this morning - as office life starts to revert to normal after the New Year (when Bangkok seems full of Westerners and no-one else). As the crossing is a new one and I've noticed that people generally (not just in Thailand) only see what they expect to see (oh piston10, where are you?), I anticipated that there would be some vehicles that would drive straight through. I only saw one that didn't stop at all. One taxi drove through when there was no pedestrian on the crossing, and several motorbikes (in particular) stopped for pedestrians but ignored the fact that the light was still red when they drove off again

So I guess it could be called a qualified success. I crossed twice, once in each direction. I suppose that makes me bi-directional :?:

Re: Consumer report

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    I crossed twice, once in each direction. I suppose that makes me bi-directional :?:
    Or a double-crosser :?:

Double-crosser?

But not a cross-dresser :cry:

Re: Double-crosser?

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    But not a cross-dresser :cry:
    Neither am I. I'm always in a good mood when I dress.

I tried mixing Ranch with Russian--And looked like the Empress, Anna Ivanovna...as played by Dale Evans! :x

Liked

At cross-purposes ...

Edith, I must ask you this question. (If you wish, all you need to do is answer "yes" or "no" ~ he said conspiratorially. I shall say no more either way.)

Does the name "LOLA" have any particular meaning to you?

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand