Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'I'm saving Thailand's gay history'

Liked: 1
    An interesting read, although strangely written ... no where does it mention who the article is about. It is attributed simply as "As told to Isabel Berwick." I assume it is Peter Jackson, whose interesting works about Thai gay and gender issues are readily available in English bookstores in Thailand.

Re the snippet about the current government ...
    "The previous political regime of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had conservative moral policies, and magazines and other gay businesses were often raided. Somewhat ironically, since the military coup that overthrew Thaksin in September 2006, the climate for homosexual people has improved markedly. There's been a boom in gay businesses, including new gay magazines."

* Is Thailand's current regime really the first "gay friendly" military government ?

"We have put ads in the gay press and on gay websites, asking people to donate magazines to our archive, and we have used the network of people working in gay rights and HIV prevention NGOs (non governmental organisations) in Thailand to get the message out. I have been stunned by the positive response, and by the sense of community history they have. So far we haven't had to pay for any of the several hundred magazines that have been donated.
    There are many people in Bangkok who collect gay magazines. One man rolled up in a taxi with three huge boxes - he had kept them in a storeroom for years. One closeted man e-mailed, saying he lived with his parents in the suburbs and they had no idea he was gay. He said it was fine to go and pick up his collection, but asked that nobody came in drag, which would have given the game away."

* I am not aware of any such advertisements on 'our' boards. But perhaps it's only Thai language material that is of interest. But surely there are expat readers here who have built up collections of Thai gay magazines that they did not buy "just for the articles".

Liked
    Okay, let's cut to the chase here. Who's the sexiest guy in that splendid picture? Well, most of them are quite old, of course (that's a bit of Pattaya relativism for you) but for me it's a no-brainer. Of the four guys up to their thighs in the water, it's the one second from the right.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

"The magazines are a unique record of how gay culture has developed in Thailand"

"I am developing an archive in Bangkok of gay culture and literature".

Has anyone seen a Thai Gay magazine containing gay history, culture and literature? I am not aware of any other than ones designed to inform about gay services ( bars, discos, karaoke,hotels etc and tittilation. Where does one find these treasures?

Yes it reads much like Peter Jackson - over erudite. How very odd that a distinguished newspaper does not name any source or comment on why not.[/i]

Liked

haha Peter...

that's what i was thinking exactly! for me it's him or the one standing/leaning against the lifeguard stand. not many of them i'd chase out of bed tho.

Peter wins the boy as he did select the correct Number 1.

Netrix is correct with Number 2 as the boy on right leaning against lifeguard stand.
    Number 3 is second from left standing between letters L and U. Needs better shorts for next picture.
    Number 4 and perhaps a tie for 3rd place is the boy kneeling directly behind number 1
    Number 5 is also behind Number 1 but standing with the yellow shorts.

Only three were kicked out of bed. Two in the water (right with raised arm holding ladder and the one in water on the left with blue goggles. The third looser is standing next to the M with the blue hat and long hair. They could gain admittance if they demonstrate special talents.

Photographer that set this picture up was phenomenal. To get so many casual poses and appeal with that many to manage was quite a feat.

How can the forum sponsor this team and properly complete their training.

Liked
    This post had a familiar ring...

See http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... tml#115173

Some of us were quite dubious about it last time, too.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

For the myopics

Nothing there less than 7/10

Men do not make passes
    at boys with slack *****

anyone think of a rhyme?

Liked: 1
    Thanks Marsilius for pointing out that there HAD been a request for material by this group. Although given the less-than-enthusiastic response from readers here - meandering into a discussion of Smile's "throbbing teenage engorgement" - it's not surprising that that was the last we heard from the group.

There is an interesting piece in Fridae that actually outlines some of the history of Thai gay publications:
    http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/arti ... warticle=1

In contrast to some posters in the earlier thread, I think the importance and urgency of such efforts to preserve these documents is obvious - people die and the material gets destroyed.

Contact details for the group are in the link given by Marsilius. The group also has a website:
    http://www.tqrc.org/data/index_En1.html

You have correctly rated the boys 1 to 5.

I hope you don't exercise similar taste when in GoGo bars. Much better to experiment & leave the cuties for me.....

J

Hmmm. I want to feel positive about this venture to record Thai Gay history by collecting magazines but I can't see it. Help me please! Are there magazines around that are less than frivolous?

In terms of Life, The Universe, Everything, Death, War, George Bush, Global Warming ,Poverty, Child Death, HIV/AIDS where would one rank it?

Also in all honesty I cannot see Thai universities lining up to own such material.