Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is a Ladyboy...Really?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

What is a Ladyboy...Really?

Why Kathoeys (or Ladyboys)?

After spending a considerable amount of time and energy over the past 10 years having relationships with the Ladyboys of Thailand, I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on the topic. In return for my efforts, IтАЩm hoping to receive some factual feedback related to your own experiences, especially as they relate to the life styles and the day-to-day habits and mannerisms of the Ladyboy(s) in your experience(s). Personal opinions about Ladyboys from those who have not had direct relations with them will have little value to this subject, so I would appreciate it if your feedback is focused and factual. I know thatтАЩs a ridiculous statement to make (here), but it never hurts to ask.

Beside the fact that IтАЩve been having relationships with ladyboys consistently over the past decade, IтАЩve also been doing research on the subject, not only to learn more about them, but in an effort to learn more about myself in the process.

My last three boy friends, including the love-of-my-life who I recently bonded with, all fall within this category. My first long-term relationship was with Boy Special. Over the five years that we were together, I watched him transition from a cute effeminate boy who looked great in a pair of baggy blue jeans and ruffled t-shirt тАУ to a full-fledged women (less the sex change operation) who IтАЩm happy to say, now graces the stage at TiffanyтАЩs. Personally, I would have preferred it if they would have just remained тАЬcute, effeminate boysтАЭ, although, it seemed impossible for any of them to avoid this transition, thus the reason I became interested in learning more about the subject.

First тАУ What are They?

In this post, the terms Ladyboy and Kathoey have the same meaning as these terms are used in Thai society interchangeably. The term Kathoey generally refers to a male-to female transgender person or an effeminate gay male in Thailand. They are also commonly referred to as Ladyboys, or as sao (or phuying) phuu ying praphet song (or, a second kind of women), or phet thee sam (third sex). IтАЩve heard the term used to categorize males who exhibit varying degrees of femininity, ranging anywhere from guys who simply dress like guys, and are closer to the western category of an effeminate gay male, to those who weтАЩve all seen that dress like women. Some decide to undergo feminizing medical procedures such as hormone replacement therapy, breast implants, or genital reassignment surgery, although, regardless of their gender presentation, their sexual orientation is primarily geared towards men who are not considered to be gay. Hmmm, that realization caused me personally to do a considerable amount of self exploration. A topic for a later date (I hope)).

A new ladyboy bar recently opened its doors in Sunee Plaza, which is staffed with a dozen or more stunning ladyboys, although there are very few customers. ItтАЩs my opinion that if the owners had done a similar research they would have opened their doors on Walking Street.

Most of the kathoeyтАЩs that IтАЩve interacted with express their satisfaction in changing only certain parts of the body (most often, the breasts), and most seem very content with having both penises and breast , as long as they are viewed as women, have heterosexual relationships with men and behave as a women. They see no need to transgress the gender boundary to become a тАЬtotalтАЭ woman at all. тАЬWhat we see here is actually the confident acceptance of their unique identity as kathoey. And most are proud to be seen as oneтАЭ. Quote taken from
    Wong Ying Wuen, Natioanl University of Singapore, Department of Southeast Asian Studies

Thai Spiritual Beliefs

Kathoeys are often identified at an early age, and are considered in Thai culture to be тАЬborn that way.тАЭ

In the West sex and gender are defined above all in terms of anatomy, males have a penis, and women do not. In contrast, in Thailand (as in many other non-Western societies) maleness seems to be defined in terms of what you do with your anatomy (boy, do I get confused when trying to define тАЬmyselfтАЭ when it comes to this), specifically acting as the inserter in sex. If you donтАЩt conform to the stereotype in this regard you have foregone your claim to maleness, and may be allocated to other gender categories (Independent Researcher and Adjunct Professor, Hollins University, Virginia, USA)

Some interesting ideas about multiple genders are found in ancient Northern Thai creation myths which speak of three genders.

Just as genders are perceived as multiple, so too are they perceived in Thailand as transient. Buddhist teachings on impermanence re-birth across lives, and karmic fate may all serve to encourage a person to act on a desire for gender transition. For if all things are transient (even our souls) then why should gender be immutable within a lifetime, especially when the means to alter it are so clearly available today? Buddhist teachings hold that, until such time as we achieve enlightenment, we are all doomed to re-birth. If we are re-born to a future life, perhaps as someone quite different, why not be re-born in this life.

Buddhist teachings hold that the circumstances in which we live today are the product (karmic consequence) in the way in which we lived our previous lives. IтАЩve talked to many Thais who consider the kathoeyтАЩs condition as being karmic, specifically, the consequence of some sexual misdemeanor in an early life or lives. That she is a kathoey is not ideal, nevertheless, her condition is understandable. In talking to many kathoeyтАЩs, including the ones IтАЩve lived with, they also consider their condition to be karmic. According to a white paper published by the Division of, Development and Diversity, University of Hong Kong in 2002, тАЬBy contrast, to fight against ones condition would incur further bad karma.тАЭ

In a Social Context

Kathoeys usually work in traditionally feminine occupations including the entertainment business, dancers, cabaret shows, and of course, the profession we all seem to be well versed in, prostitution.

The kathoeys are much more visible in Thailand than anywhere else in the world, and most researchers estimate that there are somewhere around 300,000 kathoeys in Thailand..

The lives of kathoeys are not easy. Families (and from first-hand experience) especially fathers, are typically disappointed if a son turns out to be a kathoey. Legal recognition of a kathoey is non-existent in Thailand. Discrimination in employment and lending remains rampant. ItтАЩs also my opinion that many, if not most, grow up suffering from deep-rooted emotional problems due to a sense of abandonment at home and alienation at school in the early years. One researcher stated that thereтАЩs only an average of one kathoey per school, which is consistent with the stories IтАЩve heard from the kathoeys IтАЩve befriended over the years, as well as both Boy Special and Su.

A LadyBoy Named Su

Su, who I guess I can refer to as my little phuu ying praphet song, has lived a life which is not uncommon for a ladyboy. His father openly expressed his disappointment in Su when Su was around 5 or 6 years old, this being the first time the physical and psycological characteristics of a kathoey first exposed themselves. Su knew he was different from the very start and could do very little to change that, and actually, has never mentioned that he wanted to change this even if he had the power to do so.

It took 2 years before Su trusted me enough to begin exposing his soft side to me (OK, you morons, IтАЩm not referring to his ass). I sat back and listened to stories about how his father would just walk past him without a glance as he asked his daughter (SuтАЩs younger sister) to go with him to help carry things back from the market. For most of SuтАЩs life he would only go to the market and interact with other members of society with his mother. Hs stated that his father would rarely talk to him or even look at him. It dawned on me once, that at least based on my experiences, a gay Thai boy would usually shun the opportunity to hold my hand when out in the general public, although a ladyboy would grip my hand firmly and never let it go. With Su, I always wondered if this wasnтАЩt partially due to the alienation between him and his father during his youth.

Being the only kathoey in a school filled with adrenylin charged hetero boys has also left its scar. Kathoeys are commonly abused physically by other school children, and sometimes the teachers as well. For Su, this involved verbal abuse (which he described as if it were a constant daily occurrence) and sometimes physical abuse.. IтАЩve become convinced that the constant verbal abuse at that age has the potential for causing the most harm emotionally over time.

ItтАЩs also not considered uncommon for young kathoeys to get raped, although in Thai law any rape charges filed by a kathoey are classified as aggravated assault charges which carry a much lighter penalty than rape charges. The reason for this of course is that a kathoey, by Thai law, is still considered a male. There have been many attempts, mostly led by the Thai Lesbian Rights Council to get the laws revised to acknowledge the rights of the kathoey with no real progress to date.

Based on my experiences, both past and present, I consider the personality of a ladyboy to be exactly the same as a woman, only amplified or more complex in situations where the ladyboy may have been subject to extreme emotional and/or physical abuse. Su is no different. HeтАЩs moody as hell, has crying spells at the most unpredictable moments, spends hours in front of the mirror before his body reaches a normal temperature, and loves to be payed attention to. HeтАЩs never wrong and will launch heat seeking missiles from his eyes if ever proved wrong. YepтАжsounds like a woman to me. .

Ladyboy Stuff in General

If you ever wondered why so many ladyboys start taking hormones at age 20, this is because they have to sign up for the Thai Military Draft at age 21 and any boy (lady boy) who has breasts is usually considered exempt from military service. Having said that, most of the ladyboyтАЩs IтАЩve interacted with start taking hormones a little earlier in their development for the sole purpose of growing breasts. This also seems to be the time that they start wearing two sets of underpants to compress the bulge produced by their penis. Some actually apply tape to the crotch area to obtain the same effect.

Most kathoeys migrate to places like Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket for the opportunity to live in a sub-society with other kathoeys. I used to refer to them as a тАЬpack of wolves..тАЭ Most of you have all witnessed this before. They hang in clusters, share a cloak of secrecy that the CIA, FBI and KGB combined couldnтАЩt crack, and can sometimes be ruthless. I sat on Beach Road once during one of my very first trips to LOS and watched a kathoey pick a drunk farangs wallet slicker than a Hungarian Gypsy, and donтАЩt under estimate their fighting abilities. Many a farang has ended up waking up in an emergency room, or worse after tangling with a band of kathoeys. Researchers also commonly state the fact that kathoeys are, on average, much more creative and diligent than the average person. These characteristics seem to serve them well when working in-and-around the sex industry. I always find it amazing when watching them hatch from their cocoons in the morning appearing as chickens who just hatched from an egg тАУ to the beautiful girls we all see parading around PTY in the evening hours.

As tough, and sometimes ruthless as these kathoeys can be, they all have a very soft center. After interacting with a gay boy for ten minutes, I can pretty much read his whole personality. With a kathoey, it usually takes me at least a few years, if not longer. I can say without any hesitation, that the boy I just married is truly the most wonderful person IтАЩve ever met in my lifetime, and regardless if heтАЩs working in the family rice field wearing a pair of dirty jeans тАУ or dressed up in a sparkly dress and high heeled shoes, I love him just the same.

I know full well that many, if not most gay farangs donтАЩt like kathoeys, although I donтАЩt want this to sway your comments on this topic. My primary motivation for posting this topic is to stimulate conversation, and most importantly, obtain more information about kathoeys through any personal experiences youтАЩd be willing to share.

I think itтАЩs fare to say, that after reading this post, (if anyone could stay awake that long), that you now know probably more than anyone else on the planet about the topic of Kathoeys, due to the fact that the research on this topic is extremely limited and very few researchers (if any) can draw upon the actual experience of having a relationship with one.

So there...consider yourself blessedтАж555

mai pen rai

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Minou LB Bar in Sunee Plaza..

Dodger is correct in thinking that Minou LB Bar would be better located on Walking Street in Pattaya.

I thought it was a nitch in the boy bar market that wasn't tried yet and thought it had a good chance
    for success.. I have since been told by several farangs that they are not doing much business and unless things
    pick up it may be a short lived concept, especially after high season ends..

I have also heard that Cats (no relationship) in Day-Nite is not exactly overcrowded with customers. The
    concept there seems to be go go in bras and panties and red is the color of the day..

I have been curious about lady-boys and hope this thread will answer some of them.. I applaud Dodger on opening
    up a seldom discussed topic. :cat:

khatoeys

An interesting post; thanks.
    I note the reference to school life and recall that Philip Cornwel-Smith, in his fascinating "Very Thai", claims that schools often have their own groups of khatoey who provide mutual support and are visible and separate.

I also recall reading in a Thai gay magazine an interview with a khatoey who said that she won a beauty competition at her school; this would suggest some degree of social acceptance. Perhaps there is difference here between rural schools, such as Dodger's bf presumably attended, and those in Bangkok and perhaps Chiang Mai. Social attitudes in cities are often more accommodating.

big ladyboy nipples from discontinued hormones?

Is it possible that a boy could take hormones for breast enlargement, and then stop taking them, leaving him with very enlarged nipples but otherwise flat chested? Encountered a boy like this in Krazydragon and was just wondering.

Re: big ladyboy nipples from discontinued hormones?

Quote Originally Posted by kcurterif
    Is it possible that a boy could take hormones for breast enlargement, and then stop taking them, leaving him with very enlarged nipples but otherwise flat chested?
    At the end of the day kcurterif, anything is possible. I guess it all comes down to how much anybody wants to believe it
    so.

G.

George
    The protruding points were the thickness of my fingertip! Seen this on women but never men. Just curious if it was hormone induced.
    kcurt

George
    The protruding points were the thickness of my fingertip! Seen this on women but never men. Just curious if it was hormone induced.
    kcurt
    Sorry about my reply to you kcurterif, on reading it again, I realised it could be interpreted as being flippant which wasn't my intention. As you will I hope appreciate, the written word can come across totally different to the spoken one.

I also apologise to Dodger, as his post deserved a much better contribution from me than the post I made. With regard to your original question kcurterif, which I realise was very genuine; in all honesty, I really don't have a clue. No more in fact than I do about ladyboys in general.

Although I have read posts of Dodgers before, I have learned more about him in his post above, than I ever knew before, as I did not realise that he was attracted as much to Ladyboys as now seems to be the case in what he has said above.

With the exception of the "Thai Spiritual beliefs" section of Dodgers post, of which I was aware where Ladyboys are concerned, I know very little else about them. Being someone that has a couple of heterosexual friends that are really turned on by ladyboys and who have talked to me about their fantasy's, as have certain Ladyboy friends of mine about what they believe to be the fantasy's of the majority of guys that go with them, my knowlede of this subject is none-existent.

Some ladyboys, as we all know, make absolutely stunning looking Girls/Lady's and from what I can gather, it is the fantasy of every straight guy, to get his dick sucked by a gorgeous looking "female". That remark by the way is one I do not make in jest.

Whilst I am someone, that although having his own set of principles and morals, never make judgements on anyone else or, what they do. That said, I have to say I fail to understand how someone can be classified as gay, whilst wanting to go with someone, that to all sense and purposes, think of themselves as a female as well as dressing as one. I know things are never that easy when you really analyse them, but to me, a gay person is someone I look on as being sexually turned on by a member of his own sex, whether that be a boy or a man. Now whilst a Ladyboy without the operation is biologically a male, that is the only way, he/she is a male.

So the question following that little appraisal of mine is: What is it about a Ladyboy, that turns someone on that professes to be gay, to want to go with them instead of going with the real thing? I can understand why heterosexual males go with Ladyboys, because as well as the fantasies mentioned briefly by me above, they categorically claim that they get better head of the Ladyboys than any of the female partners they have or have had. Again no jest meant on my part by that statement

So with that said, whilst I make no judgement on guys professing to be gay and desiring Ladyboys, such as Dodger, I am afraid I am just totally left on the Island as the Ferry pulls out on this one, in the sense that I just do not understand why and am totally mystified by it. As someone that has had many good laughs in the company of ladyboys, as well as enjoying their company in a crowd and on a night out, I could no more have sex with one of them, than I could with Homitern. In fact, thinking about this a little, the Ladyboys, would in all probability, just edge that one.

Back on a serious note and in view of the little knowledge I have of the subject, it would make far more sense to me as has already been pointed out, for the new bar in Sunee, Minou, to be located on Walking Street. In fact, I think the bar would do a roaring business there, as opposed to being pretty much empty as it is now every night and has been every night apart from its successful opening. If we are honest with one another, the opening night was only successful because people either went along to support Louis in his new venture, or out of curiosity of a new and an untried before concept.

So, to conclude this post, like Cat, I too have always been curious about lady-boys, and also hope that this thread will answer some of my questions. And again like Cat, I also applaud Dodger on opening up a topic that is rarely, if ever, discussed here.

Chok Dee Dodger,

George.

Liked

Ladyboys

I am extremly confused as to my feeling about ladyboys.
    I do know some Thai in Auckland that have had implants and I have not found them attractive, that may be because I know them as friends. I have also met some very fem Thai boys that I have totally lusted over.
    On planing my trip to Thailand at the end of the year I have been chatting on Romeo and have found the prospect of meeting a ladyboy to be one that I wish very much to forfill.
    It may be that in my hetrosexual past I was unable to express what I felt but again with the thought of fem and ladyboys I once more am totally lost and confused about what the hell I want in a relationship.

Sorry George although I love the thought of a ladyboy relationship I have no idea why.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Re: big ladyboy nipples from discontinued hormones?

Is it possible that a boy could take hormones for breast enlargement, and then stop taking them, leaving him with very enlarged nipples but otherwise flat chested? Encountered a boy like this in Krazydragon and was just wondering.
    From personal experience, someone who has previously taken female hormones and then desists is left with little mounds as like a young girl. This depends how far into the course of treatment it was before the person stopped. I think the person I refer to was using them for about 6 months.

I have just reread this post so have to edit: ... this person IS NOT me :-) Phew, I hope that's cleared up.

Cheers

Re: Ladyboys

Quote Originally Posted by alipatt
    I am extremly confused as to my feeling about ladyboys.
    I do know some Thai in Auckland that have had implants and I have not found them attractive, that may be because I know them as friends. I have also met some very fem Thai boys that I have totally lusted over.
    On planing my trip to Thailand at the end of the year I have been chatting on Romeo and have found the prospect of meeting a ladyboy to be one that I wish very much to forfill.
    It may be that in my hetrosexual past I was unable to express what I felt but again with the thought of fem and ladyboys I once more am totally lost and confused about what the hell I want in a relationship.

Sorry George although I love the thought of a ladyboy relationship I have no idea why.
    No need for aplogies Alipatt, you certainly couldn't have been any more honest in your post, although you sound as though you are as equally confused as me on the subject.

Hopefully by the time this thread is concluded, we will both become more enlightened on the subject.

George.