FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gay Marriage

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked

Re: Australia....

Quote Originally Posted by ned kelly
    In matters pertaining to all manner of Gay rights Australia is a long way behind NZ.
    That surprises me. Just recently a Thai friend of mine, who was in a defacto relationship with his new Zealand partner whom he met in Thailand when the later was working there, moved to Australia with his husband when his kiwi partner took a new job in Sydney. The Thai guy obtained New Zealand permanent residency because he was the bf of a kiwi guy. He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Aunty
    He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?
    Do you, as a New Zealand citizen, encounter problems with Aussie immigrating Aunty?
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Liked

Australia/NZ

Aunty wrote

"That surprises me. Just recently a Thai friend of mine, who was in a defacto relationship with his new Zealand partner whom he met in Thailand when the later was working there, moved to Australia with his husband when his kiwi partner took a new job in Sydney. The Thai guy obtained New Zealand permanent residency because he was the bf of a kiwi guy. He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?"....

Hi Aunty....yes that would be correct. Australia and NZ have a reciprocal residence/employment agreement, so Aussies and Kiwi's do not need a visa to enter and work in either country. In recent years Australia moved to tighten this requirement and Kiwi's now need to have spent at least 5 years( not 100% sure of this, but think it is correct) in NZ before obtaining this right. This was because too many people were using New Zealand's easier immigration requirements as a back-door entry into Australia, where work opportunities and social security benefits were perceived as better.
    In the case of your friend although born in Thailand so far as Aussie immigration was concerned he was just another Kiwi and automatic entry unless a criminal record is involved.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Sen Yai
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunty
    He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?
    Do you, as a New Zealand citizen, encounter problems with Aussie immigrating Aunty?
    No, Beryl, I don't. I've never been to Australia.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Australia/NZ

Quote Originally Posted by ned kelly
    Aunty wrote

"That surprises me. Just recently a Thai friend of mine, who was in a defacto relationship with his new Zealand partner whom he met in Thailand when the later was working there, moved to Australia with his husband when his kiwi partner took a new job in Sydney. The Thai guy obtained New Zealand permanent residency because he was the bf of a kiwi guy. He went on to take New Zealand citizenship so when they went to Australia, they just got on the plane and went. There didn't seem to be any problems with Aussie immigration?"....

Hi Aunty....yes that would be correct. Australia and NZ have a reciprocal residence/employment agreement, so Aussies and Kiwi's do not need a visa to enter and work in either country. In recent years Australia moved to tighten this requirement and Kiwi's now need to have spent at least 5 years( not 100% sure of this, but think it is correct) in NZ before obtaining this right. This was because too many people were using New Zealand's easier immigration requirements as a back-door entry into Australia, where work opportunities and social security benefits were perceived as better.
    In the case of your friend although born in Thailand so far as Aussie immigration was concerned he was just another Kiwi and automatic entry unless a criminal record is involved.
    Given that's there's a bit of a loop-hole there you'd think the Aussie Govt. would change the rules to make it only Kiwis who were born in NZ. Maybe they will one day?

As for gay relationships, I suppose it is a bit more complicated than a non-federal country as the rules will be set by the federal govt. and not the States. If it was just up to NSW or Victoria, I don't think there would be too many problems bringing the husband/bf in. But Queensland and Tas?

Liked
    As you might know The Netherlands was the first country in the world to allow gay marriages. However (and this also includes hetero sexual marriages) a partner ship or marriage, will never be a reason to issue a visa for someone.

My Lao boyfriend will be over here in the Netherlands for the third time (each time 90 days, then has to leave the country for at least 90 days). But I cannot marry in the Netherlands on a tourist visa. He needs provisional stay, which includes a language/society exam. It seems to be easier in Belgium and Germany, a reason why some Dutch people move there to be able to get their partner here on more then a tourist visa. Sad really. No free partner choice in the Netheralnds I'm afraid, and in this case it has nothing to do with gay rights, more with the xenofobic laws that have been requested by a large part of the population. Sad no other word for it.