Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Power

King Power

Any new information about King Power being kicked out of the new BKK airport?

Re: King Power

Quote Originally Posted by aussieal

Hope so.

A lot of their products advertized as duty free where/are actually cheaper in Bangkok itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieal

Hope so.

A lot of their products advertized as duty free where/are actually cheaper in Bangkok itself.
    Then you may as well kick the operators out of Sydney, London, Brisbane and most other airports as most 'Duty Free' can be bought cheaper in the cities.

BAA have recently been ordered by the Advertising Standards authority to change their advertising that claimed at both Heathrow & Gatwick airports duty free shopping was cheaper than any city/town shopping.

It may well be Duty Free but that does not mean that the pre-tax retail price charged is not heavily marked up compared to non duty free shops..

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty But Nice
    " ... It may well be Duty Free but that does not mean that the pre-tax retail price charged is not heavily marked up compared to non duty free shops ... "
    That's for sure. Every time I go down to Puerto Vallarta I'm asked to bring back a couple of bottles of some crazily-priced (in Canada) fancy Tequila for some lush friends of mine. This I do, but never buying it at the airport duty free, where it is priced almost one third higher than in a little Mexican corner liquour store in 'Zona Romantica'. I learned this the hard way, my first trip down there centuries ago.

This is same same all over the world in most airports, I'm sure.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

If the people and space given over to "Duty Free" shops at Heathrow were dedicated to processing passengers and their baggage onto aircraft securely, everybody'd have a better time at that airport. But what do I know. I've only used it once in the last ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by 555
    If the people and space given over to "Duty Free" shops at Heathrow were dedicated to processing passengers and their baggage onto aircraft securely, everybody'd have a better time at that airport. But what do I know. I've only used it once in the last ten years.

I use Manchester now and that is like a zoo as well Leeds/Bradford and East Midlands are most customer friendy I find. However, the have no where near the traffic of the major airports.

On the question of the person who posted regards Duty Free, I was always, obviously naively, believing that the Duty Free meant no tax, as was therefore always supposed to be a lot cheaper.

I will be spending a lot closer attention to prices in the future!

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

On the question of the person who posted regards Duty Free, I was always, obviously naively, believing that the Duty Free meant no tax, as was therefore always supposed to be a lot cheaper.
    Where did you usually buy your duty free cigarettes then?!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala

Where did you usually buy your duty free cigarettes then?!

Dear Brad,

Thanks for the acid comment, I usually waited and bought them in Thailand, as they were far cheaper, all brands!

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    I use Manchester now and that is like a zoo as well. Leeds/Bradford and East Midlands are most customer friendly I find. However, they have no where near the traffic of the major airports.
    Heathrow is definitely the pits and London Gatwick is not far behind! On my last trip through LHR nearly two years ago it took 45 minutes to check-in and then over an hour to pass through the security checks (there must have been well over a hundred people waiting in each queue). I understand that things there, if anything, have got even worse! There is also the chaotic baggage handling system to consider - their track record on that is abysmal. My close neighbour flew out of LHR last month and even though he arrived more than three hours before his flight, as now required, he only just made it to the plane. His bags however didn't and they arrived at his destination in S Africa five days later.

For my last two trips to Thailand I have flown from London City airport to 1. Amsterdam and 2. Copenhagen and changed planes. OK it may be a tad more expensive and slightly more inconvenient but that inconvenience is minor compared to that suffered traveling through LHR. It avoids the hassle of the huge crowds, slow check-in and even slower security checks at Heathrow. The only draw back is that the duty free area is very small but, as others have commented, most things, apart from booze and fags are cheaper outside anyway. Fortunately I don't drink or smoke (fags that is ! :geek: )

Incidentally if you are an adrenalin junkie the take-off from and landing on London City's very short runway (surrounded by the old London docks, complete with water) can be quite exhilarating!

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowkat
    Heathrow is definitely the pits and London Gatwick is not far behind! On my last trip through LHR nearly two years ago it took 45 minutes to check-in and then over an hour to pass through the security checks

..... he arrived more than three hours before his flight, as now required, he only just made it to the plane.
    Heathrow is the pits, but there really is no need to check in 3 hours early. I never have time to check in more than 60mins before take off, and there are no queues at all! The immigration queues can be very long, but I usually blag my way through fast-track even if traveling economy.

Once checked in, they won't take off without you!
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]